Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bridge Hammock UQ

What or are there any differances in makeing a UQ for a BH as opposed to a gathered end hammock? It seems to me a basic rectangle would work here but what about the ends? Do they just get left open? Would anyone happen to have a good DIY set of instructions. I am afraid I have spent so much time reading these forums that I cant remember where I read anything. My head is spinning with good ideas to screw up and srew each and everyone up I shall.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A bridge specific UQ can actually be easier than a UQ for a gathered end. Use the bed dimensions for the inner shell and then add extra to the outer shell to cover loft you're looking for. No need for adjustable or sliding suspension on the bridge so you can use grossgain at the corners to tie shock cord to, and just hook onto the ends of the spreader bars of attach to your hammock.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    They're all the same, just a big rectangle. What you'll need to do is, at both head and foot end, run some shock cord through a sewn channel. When on, the quilt will pretty much be fully opened, but to vent or tighten things up, that shock cord on the ends will do that for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you all use cord locks with your shock cord? I'm afraid they won't hold well, but I'm not sure how else to keep things adjustable.

Images
    Yes, and they hold just fine. It's not like your hanging form the cord lock, it's just keeping a quilt in place. Also, the beauty of using the shock cord, say you get your foot stuck on the quilt exiting your hammock, it'll stretch with you as opposed to ripping. Also, the bigger the cord lock, the stronger the spring is that holds it in place.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The other thing with bridge underquilts is that they can be narrower than regular underquilts. In fact, the summer DIY synthetic one I remade for my new bridge hammock is a little less than the narrowest width of the hammock body.

Other than that fact a basic rectangle with channels on the ends to cinch them up a bit and attachment points in the corners is all that is needed. If you are doing a winter rated undrequilt then adding some grosgrain tabs along the length to use for lift points would be a good idea too.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts