View Poll Results: Which section do you need to hang in at Mt. Rogers?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Snoring

11 55.00%
  • Non-snoring

4 20.00%
  • I don't know, ask my wife, girlfriend, dog, etc.

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Mt Rogers Hang: Snoring or Non-snoring?

Ok, since someone who shall remain nameless (FishinFinn) brought the subject up, I guess it could be explored. For those who are planning on attending the Mt. Rogers Hang, which category do you fall in?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    At this point, the regular attendees have their usual places that they hang out (if they get there before it's taken). In the past the wind has been loud (like ocean waves) enough to drown out all but the most constant of snorers.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Awesome! I'm glad you made a poll out of this.

I'm not a snoring snob, but one of my whole reasons for getting off the ground and going to hammocks was spending a week with a guy in a tent whose log-sawing, earth shaking, tree rattling, ear splitting snores kept me (and all the animals for a mile radius) awake for 5 straight nights. Seriously, the other guy who was on the trip with us had a ground bivy set up 70 yards away, and could still hear the guy snoring over the wind and the waves on the lake! I have a witness to my struggles! The snorer went to sleep the first night, and my buddy and I were hanging out by the campfire sharing some Jameson's when the trees started vibrating. We were looking at each other like "What the heck is that?" when it dawned on us that it was our other friend, who had gone to bed early. We were 50 yards away from the tent, over a rise, near the waters edge with the wind blowing towards the tent (we were upwind,) and we could still hear the chainsaw-like rumbling of his snoring! My buddy looked at me and told me to take a big chug, 'cause I was going to have fun sleeping through that chaos! Was he glad he brought his own tent! When I went to bed, I had to kick my buddy so he would stop snoring long enough for me to fall asleep. I had to kick him 3 or 4 times that first night, but at least 2 of those were because of his snoring.

I vowed from that day forward that I would never sleep in a tent with another person again, unless it was with female companionship (for warmth, of course .) And so here I am, planning a trip with anywhere between 1-2 dozen guys and gals, half of whom may be unknown snorers of unknown severity. Maybe it's like white noise - you get enough snorers together, and they cancel each other out! We can only hope!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

ahhh, snoring!

Ok, well I think I DO still snore. I KNOW I used to snore. If I have a cold or I am really tired I am worse. I think I snore less in the hammock though.

Earlier in our marriage my wife and I were on vacation in North Carolina and she was not very used to sleeping with me at the time. Now, Jenny is as deaf as a rock so she can NOT hear but is very tuned to vibrations. She woke up to what she thought was the sound (feel) of a jet plane taking off because we were very close to an military base. She got out of bed and put her hand on the window to get a better "feel" of the source and did not feel anything at all... She went back to bed and heard/felt it again. It was then that she put her hand on my chest. She became so startled that she woke ME up. You know you are snoring loud when you wake up deaf people! It took us a while to fall back to sleep from laughing so hard after she told me the story!

On a good note. She says I have never snored that loud since. Having 4 kids and being the only "ears" in the house has made me a quiter and MUCH lighter sleeper. Just in case though, I will find place a little away from the group.

Adam
    Last edited by stormcrow; 11-17-2008 at 14:30. Reason: grammer

Images
    ear plugs go a long way ..i keep some in my pack just for snoreing companions..

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Just in case though, I will find place a little away from the group.

Adam
    Nah, no need for that! Just poking fun at snorers, is all. Snoring is one thing; most people will occasionally snore. I snore if I get a sinus infection, or am absolutely exhausted. But ear splitting, hammock vibrating, tree shaking snoring is another thing all together.

As blackie suggests, ear plugs go a long way. I don't like to use them when alone, but in a group it would probably be safe to do so. I like to hear the twigs snapping if anything is moving anywhere near my hammock.

Still, I'll bring ear plugs, just in case!

Images
    I for one am not hanging next to Doctari anytime soon. Sorry buddy, but like the man said it shakes the hammock!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I for one am not hanging next to Doctari anytime soon. Sorry buddy, but like the man said it shakes the hammock!
    Imagine being sandwiched between him and Hooch. Oh the horror!!!!
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I still snore, but I've been told by long time backpacking friends that it's noticeably less since I started sleeping in a hammock
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    For years you had to put a quarter in the box beside the bed. Now you can get it for free at Mt, Rogers? Wow, count me in....

...and yes, I snore too.

There is some science to this... get enough of us snorers together and the harmonics could cancel us out. Just a thought!
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast