Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up MN Fall Northern Hang 2012

I had a great time at the fall northern hang. Even though participation was low this year it was great to get out in the woods with fellow hangers. The trip started Friday. I arrived at Crosby Manitou State Park and parked next to Madhob's truck...I figured from the Iowa plates it must be him. He wasn't around but I saw his pack sitting in the front seat so figured he'd be around shortly.

I started getting my gear together and a short time later Madhob arrived back at the lot after a little hike out to the site to check it out. We got our things together and headed out to campsite 10.

It's a nice hike out to site 10. We took the Yellow Birch and River Trails out to the site. It was about a 2.5 mile hike. Weather was cool and cloudy. We each picked some trees and pitched our hammocks. A short while later Watertones arrived and she got her hammock shelter set up. We sat around and chatted a bit wondering if anyone else was going to show up.

It started to get dark and in strolled Stairguy. It was raining lightly when he showed up. He had his super overstuffed Speer Polar Pod with and we all drooled in envy over that impressive bit of kit. It was too wet to start a fire and deadfall wood was pretty scarce as the site was pretty much picked clean. We sat around in the dark with a little candle lantern as our fire.

We then saw a headlamp down in the distance on the trail and were surprised to see AJ arrive. AJ got his rig set up and after a short while we all turned into the hammocks as it started to rain pretty steadily.

After a great night's sleep we bid farewell to Watertones and AJ as they just stayed for the night. We hiked back to the parking lot.

Madhob, Stairguy and myself decided to make a hike south on the Superior Hiking Trail to Sonju Lake. Madhob and I left first with Stairguy following a bit later. Madhob hit his stride and left me in the dust as I was hiking at my own pace to take photos and some video footage for my YouTube channel.

I arrived at the first Sonju Lake campsite (North site) and noticed from the trail a campfire and what sounded like a group of people down there. I didn't want to barge in so I figured Madhob had continued onto the South Sonju site farther up the trail.

I arrived at the South Sonju campsite and didn't find Madhob. I decided to hang around in case he might come back. About 45 minutes to an hour later Madhob arrived without a pack. He had stopped at the North Sonju site where he had found two couples camping at the site. After conversing he decided to run back and grab his pack so we could camp at the South Sonju site.

We got our rigs set up and awhile later Stairguy arrived. We broke out the stoves and cooked up our vittles for the evening and chatted awhile. It got pretty chilly out there fast and it was still wet though but no clouds in the sky. Deciding a campfire would again be a futile effort we all turned in for the evening. We heard wolves howling in the night and had a little critter running through camp. It raced under my tarp several times in the evening. Probably a little chipmunk or something. I woke up around 6am to find my tarp covered in frost on both sides and my water bottles with a bunch of ice in them. I had a Cliff Bar for breakfast and got packed up and said farewell to Madhob who was up early as well.

I got on the trail and started back. I took a wrong turn on the trail shortly after the North Sonju Lake campsite and found the little spur trail had led me to Sonju Lake Road. Not the official spur trail that goes to the Sonju parking lot but a different one much sooner. I decided what the heck and hiked the road. It was a neat morning with heavy fog and I thought maybe I'd see some wildlife along the road. I didn't see any but saw loads of wolf tracks and wolf scat on the road as I hiked. I hiked past the Sonju Lake parking lot up to the point where the trail crosses the road near Aspen Knob campsite and then got back on the trail back to Crosby. Taking the road shaved a lot of time off the hike back and surprisingly my legs didn't feel too bad from hiking on the road as my previous past experiences hiking road proved to be.

All in all it was a great time and I look forward to more hangs with fellow HF members in the future.

Here is the group shot I took Saturday morning before leaving Crosby Manitou. I'll be posting a video on my YouTube page soon. Unfortunately I didn't shoot much video of the group as our time in camp was really pretty short each night before we turned in. The video will be more like my other solo videos following my hike and so forth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pizza; 10-21-2012 at 19:38.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Fun stuff dude! It's so much fun to hang out with fellow hangers and enjoy the woods. Looking forward to seeing the video and re-live the Superior Hiking Trail. Wolves howling is so coooooool!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

MN Fall Northern Hang 2012

Thx for the TR. Tough nut regarding the damp firewood.
    Getting out of the hammock in to AM can be difficult indeed.
    Once moving, hiking in fog can be interesting if you listen and live in your head.

Maybe a winter hang at Copper Falls State Park by Mellon...
    Sorry I could not be there.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Video

Here is my video.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Fun report!

Hangs with a a lot of people can be good and so can hangs with a lot less people. And by the looks of it you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cold rain.......makes a trip compelling. Being in the woods is always gratifying whether with many or few.
    Sorry to have missed it....friends in town.
    Going out this week though......:-)------
    Off to watch the video.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Arrived lat at Crosby state park and hiked the long way in. Started to rain halfway in(so much for the 0% chance of rain weather report). Pizza, Madhob and Watertones were already there when I arrived. Set up my pod and it was dark. I then realized one of my hearing aids had fallen out. Ascertained the two most likely areas (where I removed and put back on my ponchoved ) and quickly found it. Phew!!!!!! Dark and damp I ate and the hammock called. Woke up Sat.to find AJ had arrived. Watertones headed out first followed by Pizza and then Madhob. Old farts that we are AJ and I lollygagged our way along the trail taking pictures and I slowly pulled ahead. Spotted a Fisher up in the trees and made it to the parking lot. Madhob and Pizza were just heading out for Sonju. I took the time to switch out my gear, rei flash 65 to a GG Vapor Trail, 54oz stuffed polar pod to a Exped Dreamwalker 450, Dbl layer switchback to grand trunk nano 7. Got rid of the extra food and clothing an was ready to go. AJ hiked in and we sat on the tailgates smoked cigars and chatted. Parted ways and I was gone. Had a nice solo hike,met a group of Boy Scouts and their leaders,preached the wonders of hammocking and wandered into north Sonju campsite to find Madhob. He was just grabbing his pack and going to south Sonju where Pizza had setup. I walked into camp 5 feet ahead of Madhob. Classic tortoise and hare story. Cooked dinner, enjoyed a cigar and a white trash margarita and the nano 7 called. Sunday morn pizza hiked out 10 minutes before I got up, ate packed up and hiked out w/Madhob. Finished the day on the tailgate again sharing cheese and sausage w/Madhob and the trip was over..................cept for stopping T Betty's Pies in Two Harbors for a 5 layer chocolate cream pie...............
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great stuff dude and it was so much fun to see the trail again.
    There is a fearless mouse that lives at South Sonju lake campsite and I bet that he was the one you heard.

We will be hitting Afton really soon and if you want to go to Winter camping symposium with me this Friday, just let me know.

Fronkey

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Right fun video ... hey a few friends can be mo'fun than a bunch of friends sometimes! Beautiful place ... that SHT ... going to have to take Shug up on his invite someday.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast