Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Why did you get your tarp(s)?

Not asking if you wanted weather protection or not, but I want to see why everyone chose the options they have (and to post what they use).

Me, since I will be doing mostly car/motorcycle camping I figured I'd go for the biggest tarp I felt good packing, which at the moment is the Wilderness Logics Big Daddy for the coverage in all black with lime green thread. I figure the color blocks a BUNCH of light in the AM providing a ton of shade and letting me "sleep in" as it were.

I do have, in the works, an Underground Quilts Winter Dream (the bigger one) in the works made to the same specs as the WL one as far as color goes, and I'll take it with me on longer trips where weather may not be the best and, obviously, winter. The doors will be great come crappy weather.

Now, with both you'll see (obviously) the large size. Since I will be on a motorcycle 90% of the time when camping, Ill need to be able to stow the gear in bad weather, and if need be I can put the bike under the tarp with me.

Also, I love porch mode (just ask JuneBugDawn) in bad weather, because you and a friend can sit (3 people if youre good friends, up to 6 if you put both sides in PM), eat and talk out of the rain and still enjoy the views.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I got the Kelty Noah's 12' because I wanted to be able to pitch it down low for privacy and protection from wind and horizontal rain. I liked that it can also be set up like it has doors or in porch mode. Very versitile tarp. Like you said, you can have friends visit in the rain and keep your gear dry. I call it my circus tent tarp because it is so big. I got the Kelty because it was reasonably priced and it was also on sale. The downside is that it isn't the lightest on the market. I have the stock tarp for my asym HH and have plans to add a medium-sized tarp, probably a tadpole or an edge.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I started off with what I had, which was an 8x8.foot print pfor a nuk tuck tent. I had used it before as a ground cloth and to give me shade. Putting it over the hammock seemed easy and logical. I put it up as a diamond and tied off the corners to trees. Now I use a ridge linewhich seems to make it more stable in the wind.
    Then I made a 10x10 for better rain protection. I also bought a Noahs tarp, 12x12. That's for the wife. I'm trying to coax her out of the tent by making a tent to go around her hammock. I guess I need to make door for it next, but I draw the line . No floor.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Had started last year with a Guide Gear 12x12 to tote on the bike with a WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Unfortunately, I wrecked on the virgin trip and have been "banned" from bikes for a while. Having been reassigned to pedestrian status, I sold that tarp and WBBB and got a WL Big Daddy plus added a Griz Beak to go with the lighter BIAS rig to make it a lighter load with near max protection.
    In the meantime, I re-soled my Danners and ride a 1957 Emdeco Thread Injector while awaiting a possible return to 2 wheels.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, W/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/MSH
    Images
    I just got into hammock hanging this year, so I ordered an Edge tarp to go along with my WBBB 1.1DL. I was getting ready for a quick backpacking trip so I went with the smallest option. I'm looking at a bigger tarp in the future, but for now I'm quite happy with the Edge. It weights nothing, packs small and has good coverage so far.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I started with an old 10x10 coated nylon - knew it was too heavy but it is what I had for canoe and tent camping. Then went with a sil nylon hex tarp but wanted more coverage at the ends and more pitching options. Now have a Silnylon 10x11 with options to hang along the long or short side and also diagonaly. Also has extra tieouts for some other creative configurations. The only thing I would like to add are some panel pullouts but haven't really seen a need for them yet so haven't got around to it. I might add an 8x8 for fair weather hanging some day but for now I think I've found my last tarp.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    My first and only tarp is the WL Big Daddy. I opted for the 144" ridgeline for more weather protection here in Western Washington.

GrabbyPat, can you post of a review and pictures of your Kelty Noah's tarp? I am been interested, but they look like they can only be setup in the diamond formation.
    I would like to see the different configurations with the Noah's tarp.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm not "GrabbyPat," but I highly recommend the Kelty Noah tarp...I have the 12' & I've been very happy w/ it! It can definitely be set up in the rectangular shape, in fact w/ the 12' I don't recommend the diamond. Here's a link to a picture of mine taken a few weeks ago:

http://gi46.photobucket.com/groups/f...Q/IMG_2420.jpg

Hope the link works...

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    My first tarp back in 2001 was the stock HH "barely there" tarp. One trip in a huge two day storm showed me that minimal is not what I was interested in. So shortly after that I picked up an Equinox sil 9x12 which became my goto tarp for several years. I used a 8x10 Equinox a couple times but the larger just made things more comfortable for me. Next came my Superfly Camo w/doors and I found my favorite ... Till a couple weeks ago when I received my first Cuben. A HG 4 Season w/doors & the Ridgeline extension mod. I've fallen in love with it. Same size and less than half the setup weight of my Superfly setup.
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 10-22-2012 at 12:14.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Before Brian at OES finished college (or even high school? it was a while ago) I sprung for my tarp when the exchange rate was better than it had ever been (if only I had known what it would do later!). I then decided to go for Spinnaker over silnylon (since then spinn has changed and isn't suitable for tarps) I chose the deluxe over the standard (something I wonder about- is it too big?) I chose a hex cat cut because of the head room and taught pitch, and doors were not the big deal they are now.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast