Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about ridgeline and webbing

First, I've never hung on anything beyond the stock gt suspension. I've used the UL and now the pro.

Now, about the webbing. I've found 25yds of 1500# 1" webbing for very cheap. I'd like to cut this into tree straps but I'm concerned about loose. There are no sewn loops on the roll of webbing and I don't trust myself to sew them. Can I simply tie an overhand or figure 8 loop? That's what I would do with rope but I don't know how knots affect the rating of straps.

Second, I've been learning what I can about structural ridgeline and I'm a bit confused. It seems to me (and I've made little rope models to try and visualize it) that the angle of the ridgeline between where it connects to the hammock and the suspension is inevitably the same angle as the suspension/tree straps. In this case, would it be possible for me to use one long piece of webbing for a ridgeline and tree straps?

I hope some of this makes sense. I'm still very new at this and hardly know the vocabulary. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Sewn loops are easy, secure, and very handy.

You would not need more than 12-14 feet of strap on each end, depending on how big your prospective trees might be.

Check this out for calculating things: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator.html

SRLs are not usually made of webbing.

Mike

Hammock
    Skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Gortex bivie cover
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You know all the different configuration's for hanging can get quite confusing on what choices to make.sometimes it makes me feel indecisive on what to use

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonysmithxr View Post
    First, I've never hung on anything beyond the stock gt suspension. I've used the UL and now the pro.

Now, about the webbing. I've found 25yds of 1500# 1" webbing for very cheap. I'd like to cut this into tree straps but I'm concerned about loose. There are no sewn loops on the roll of webbing and I don't trust myself to sew them. Can I simply tie an overhand or figure 8 loop? That's what I would do with rope but I don't know how knots affect the rating of straps.

Second, I've been learning what I can about structural ridgeline and I'm a bit confused. It seems to me (and I've made little rope models to try and visualize it) that the angle of the ridgeline between where it connects to the hammock and the suspension is inevitably the same angle as the suspension/tree straps. In this case, would it be possible for me to use one long piece of webbing for a ridgeline and tree straps?

I hope some of this makes sense. I'm still very new at this and hardly know the vocabulary. Thanks.
    [1] If the webbing is nylon - don't use it. Use only poly webbing
    [2] sewing works but you can also use a water knot to form a loop - see animatedknots.com or ask any experienced rock climber

SECOND: Hammock Ridgeline - try using a whoopie sling and adjust it to be about 83% of the hammock's total (flat) length. Connect the Ridgeline to the ends of the hammock suspension -then the ridgeline will be level between the hammock ends. Course, if you are talking about the Tarp ridgeline - that is a different matter - my tarp ridgeline is never connected to the hammock suspension at all (well almost never).

I use this Mil-Spec and make my own webbing (nope, it does not stretch)
    http://www.rei.com/product/783605/1-...ing?ref=472006
    Best of luck to you! Always HYOH!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Give it a try you may come up with something new or unique. Look at the sls (single line suspension) I bet you could do a webbing version of that. Enjoy your tinkering and don't let them tell you it can't be done just because it hasn't been done.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    Give it a try you may come up with something new or unique. Look at the sls (single line suspension) I bet you could do a webbing version of that. Enjoy your tinkering and don't let them tell you it can't be done just because it hasn't been done.
    Amen, Matty.

But 1600# is not strong enough for a SLS.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-22-2012 at 13:24.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    +1 Agree... HYOH!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Just tie an overhand on a bite. When used with webbing, it is also called a water knot.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I personally use knots instead of hardware when possible. It makes things more versatile IMO. Besides, it makes you think a little more.

Thanks to all of you for the helpful replies! I've ordered the webbing and also 30' of spectra. I think between those I can do pretty much anything.

I hesitate to see loops in the webbing because I don't have access to a machine and, for all the stress on using properly rated webbing, I'd hate to botch it up with my sorry stitching. Overhand on a bight is my plan.

I'm looking forward to trying out a ridgeline and a hardware-less set up. I do trust my knots, even if not my sewing! I'm really excited to move into the world of DIY hammocking! Thanks again for all the help!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast