Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images

Carver's Gap to Overmountain Shelter

22 people (17 scouts/venture crew and 5 adults) left Carver's gap at 1:30 this past Saturday for on overnighter. Temp was 54 and we had some mixed weather as soon as we started over Round Bald. The mix gave way and allowed us to have a great start of a hike. Every now and then the clouds would break and we were able to see some of the scenery.

Temps kept falling as we were expecting snow sometime in the evening. We wanted to make the Overmountain Shelter before dark. We pushed on in spite of the wet trail conditions and arrived at Overmountain Shelter just before dark. Temps had fallen as we expected and about the time we arrived at the shelter it "commenced asnowing" WOW! What a site and What a sight!

The evening went rather uneventful as most were fixing dinner and bedding down until the gusts picked up. Reported gusts were as high as 40mph. The two thermometers at different places around us were confusing. One said -2 (we had it in wind chill mode but we figure it just broke) the other hanging in the barn said 16. So we really don't know how cold it got. Elk Park, a town in the valley below us report a wind chill of 16 so who knows.

I did the unmentionable and hung under the eave on the front of the shelter to help protect from the gusts. My son and I both received a dusting throughout the night but managed to stay surprisingly warm.

The next morning, we hiked out west 4.8 miles down the Overmountain Victory trail to a van staged on the west side. Great trail and hike especially with the snow and the views.

Great overnight and I was proud that all the scouts were truly prepared except for a few little things. I could have lightened my pack with extra stuff buy about 8 pounds next time.

My gear: DIY hammock, Big Agnes 15 degree synthetic bag, waffle style Wally World CCF pad, REI wool socks, balaclava, poly long johns, regular layer of clothes, gloves and I slept in my outer layer of my 4n1. I used the inner layer for my pillow. Only time I got COLD was during the two "old man" jaunts in the middle of the night. (with gusting, swirling 40 mph winds, it is hard to determine the direction of travel for anything!)
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey A......
    Cool place. The old barn right? Me and Kent Hicks and Alan Thompson spent a wet day there once. Nice.
    Sounds like a right great trip!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ and Diy TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle/Kev
    Images
    I'm taking Troop 426 from GSO in 2 weeks. We are pretty much covering the same path, except the scouts want to spend the 1st night on the grassy bald. I guess no hanging that night.

Shug, you are right, that is the old barn.

Expecting to have a great time.
    "If you have to run, put the sissors down first"

• + New Posts