diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps

Hammock love seems to be spreading

When I started toying, and later loving the idea of using a hammock, I had never seen one while out backpacking. So I start using them and my buddies, who stuck there noses up before, start to try them. Next thing you know there are 5 out of 8 of us in hammocks. Then I start seeing more and more when I am out for a trek. I was out this past weekend in the Smokies and I swear I saw more hammocks than tents, and we were in some fairly popular spots.

One down side, it is getting harder to find good trees lol. I found myself saying, "This would be easier if I had a tent." but then slept like a baby and soon forgot that thought.

Another down side is the number of requests from friends to make/show them how to make a tarp, an UQ, a TQ and more and more. When will I have time to make myself another lol.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Yes it does seem to be growing, I noticed this year on the trail more and more hammocks. Park ranger at Olympic said he'd guess hammock usage at about 10% from what he's seeing. He certainly was interesed in checking out our kits last month...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Went camping about a week ago and was chilling next to the camp fire with a ground dwelling buddy of mine. Noticed a park ranger slowed down by our camp site and yelled "WHO"S HAMMOCK IS THAT!?!" I thought i was in trouble at first then he pulled up, hopped out, and we had a long chat about his hammocks. Good guy.

Also got my ground dwelling buddy very interested in hammocks...so interested I'm pretty sure he joined our family here.

It is an epidemic. muhahahahaha!!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    See now I was getting used to sleeping in all comfy in my hammock and moving on to the next site with little fear of the good spots being taken. Now I am going to have to make myself leave the comfy confines of my bear burrito earlier, hike harder and take shorter lunches to have premo site choices again. DOH!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I really think that people are seeing how easy hammock camping really is. Every person that sees me set up my hammock in under 3 min. while they are sticking poles in their tent say that the hammock looks pretty cool. When I take down my hammock in under 3 min. they say, "I think I want one of those" While they try to cram a bulky tent into a bag that is somehow smaller than the day before.

Don't let anyone lay in your hammock, I have a hard time getting my buddies out of mine.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    I wish I could get down to a 10 minute setup and tear down. I swear it takes me 15 -20 minutes it feels like. All my tent buddies are done and getting water or taking pictures. I think that this is the one thing that does frustrate me about hammocking, I am missing out on the things I want to do while setting up.
    I just need to get better at it and practice a bit, I am a perfectionist and it always takes me longer.

I was at Cumberland Gap this weekend and saw the most hammocks I have ever seen at a compground. I used to see about 10% of campsites with hammocks and this time I believe to be about 25%.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    I wish I could get down to a 10 minute setup and tear down. I swear it takes me 15 -20 minutes it feels like. All my tent buddies are done and getting water or taking pictures. I think that this is the one thing that does frustrate me about hammocking, I am missing out on the things I want to do while setting up.
    I just need to get better at it and practice a bit, I am a perfectionist and it always takes me longer.
    I use to have a longer setup until I switched to a Cinch Buckle suspension. The setup is a "cinch." Ha!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    I'm contemplating going to a single line suspension and a python skin for my basic setup. Tie to one tree, tie to another tree, strip the skin, tie out the tarp = set up in five minutes.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Funny, I was just thinking that. I had remembered a few years ago, when this site was just started, most (Me too) thought, "We hangers will NEVER be mainstream!!!" And, at the time it sure seemed that way. Hammocks were to,,,,, weird. "Everyone" sleeps on the ground "It's part of the fun!"
    Now, well, as the OP says 5 of 8 campers are hangers.
    And, it seems to be growing. I show 2 groundlings, they each show 2 & they show 2 & etc. AND, to be honest, I've shown (OK, converted) at least 20 groundlings "the light", plus I know for a fact that at least 10 of those have helped at least 2 others each, so,,,,,

I now make a (tongue in cheek) prediction: Soon the only place to see a tent is in a museum. "Honey, what is that odd shaped thing by the campfire in that exhibit? Oh, that is a tent, they used to sleep in them. ON THE GROUND!!! WASN'T THAT UNCOMFORTABLE? Yes, yes dear it was. I remember my grandfather saying in the time before hammocks they slept on rocks & sticks & bears! Oh, how primitive, poor things!"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts