Peapod for Bridge?

Hey HF,
    Does anyone make a peapod-like (all-in-one) insulation sytem for bridge hammocks yet? I haven't come across anything in my reading and searching but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have a real speer peapod for my gathered end hammock but have to say that I will not be using that again as I find the pros to the bridge outweigh the cons. The peapod is exceptional and I would like to replicate that on the bridge.
    Thanks.

Images
    I don't believe there is, nor do I think it would work. On the other hand, obviously not all bridges are alike, but for one example, my jacks r better original style bridge, is nice and deep, allowing the under quilt to really come up over you nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! That is pretty good coverage.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great question----------I love the bridge hammock design, but on the other hand, you really cant beat the peapod for cold weather performance. (theres nothing like it!) I'll be watching this thread---------is there a way to get peapod like performance on a bridge hammock insulation system? Thats the question of the day!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS
    I went the economy route on my BMBH. First I looked at Jack's website and found their method of attaching an underquilt with the loops and their suspension system. I then took an REI down rectangular bag, with 2 lbs. of down in it that I've had for years (have three of them) and sewed a tube made out of 1" grosgrain to the bottom edge for shock cord. I removed the string from the hemmed tube that was already at the top of the bag and replaced it with shock cord. I sewed four grosgrain loops at the four corners of the bag. I works like a charm, and didn't cost me anything. I've slept down to 30 degrees with it, but I'm sure it would go much lower. That's a lot of down. BTW, I think down bags are practically indestructible. They don't seem to lose their loft, even after 40 years in a stuff sack. Granted, this underquilt weighs just under 3 lbs. total, but it's very, very warm, and fits great on any hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Great question----------I love the bridge hammock design, but on the other hand, you really cant beat the peapod for cold weather performance. (theres nothing like it!) ..........
    I'm with you on that, Stevebo! But I will say that about the closest I have found to the Pea Pod for being a sure thing at blocking the cold is none other than the BMBH used with ( in my case ) a JRB MW. IOW, it is sort of pod like in some of it's benefits.

For example, a big benefit I have always found for the pods UQ function is:
    1: that it is just about draft and gap proof. IOW, I'm sure it is at it's warmest being just barely in contact with your back, and no gaps ( or with a down jacket or quilt to fill any gap) but it really does not seem very critical and I have never been cold even with some small gaps below me. And I think that is because, what with the pod draping over the edge of the hammock and cinched at the ends, cold air is really hindered from rushing into any gap under me. Don't get me wrong: more gap is less warm than no gap, but it just does not seem as critical to have a perfect adjustment. And I offer as evidence: have you ever read of anyone complaining of having a cold back or butt at or above the pods rated temps? Seems like somebody would, if nothing else from having a way less than optimum adjustment, too tight and crushing loft or too loose and too big a gap. Still, have not seen this particular complaint, have you? OTOH, what do you get with a 20F UQ and even if with a very slight gap and or leaks at the ends/edges? You get a cold back/butt at 40F! Or 50F! And there is many a thread to make this point. Not to put down separate UQs, but they MUST be attached exactly as intended by the manufacturer, they won't cut you much slack, so to speak.

And 2: The major draft free performance applies to the top side also, limited only by how much of a vent hole you use and whether or not you block heat loss through the vent with clothing or TQs. IOW, it is kind of like you are closed up inside a mummy bag. Only drawback being the top gap which is usually way greater than any bottom gap.

So how does the JRB bridge/MW match all of that? Well you still can't get away with any bottom gaps or leaks around the ends/edges, but it just seems like there never are any. If I simply hang it from the loops it is meant to hang from it always fits snug head to toe right off the bat and stays that way all night. Want evidence that is the case? Well, ever seen any threads like: " hey, I am cold in the BMBH/MW above the rates temp, what do I do?". I have not yet seen that thread, but maybe this winter?

You can't match the pods draft free performance on top, BUT I think that V shaped deep valley you see in fallkniven's picture above is an advantage. The top quilt just seems to want to sink down on top of me with and seems easier to keep tucked around the sides. And like all other TQ systems, no top gap to deal with like the pod.

So it is a pretty darn good system, hard to beat, even if the pod is really hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chammocks View Post
    I went the economy route on my BMBH. First I looked at Jack's website and found their method of attaching an underquilt with the loops and their suspension system. I then took an REI down rectangular bag, with 2 lbs. of down in it that I've had for years (have three of them) and sewed a tube made out of 1" grosgrain to the bottom edge for shock cord. I removed the string from the hemmed tube that was already at the top of the bag and replaced it with shock cord. I sewed four grosgrain loops at the four corners of the bag. I works like a charm, and didn't cost me anything. I've slept down to 30 degrees with it, but I'm sure it would go much lower. That's a lot of down. BTW, I think down bags are practically indestructible. They don't seem to lose their loft, even after 40 years in a stuff sack. Granted, this underquilt weighs just under 3 lbs. total, but it's very, very warm, and fits great on any hammock.

I'd love to see some pictures of this setup, it sounds like what I was thinking of doing.

Hey BillyBob58,
    That's an interesting angle on the topic. I also want to say that I find your posts very thorough and well thought out. I have been reading your posts for years and you were at least partly the reason why I bought a speer peapod for my gathered end hammock in the first place. Thanks.

Images
    Thanks so much for the kind words, TheHangMan! I always hope that I sometimes actually manage to provide useful info for someone with all those words I type. I also always hope that a few folks find my posts "very thorough and well thought out", but I'm sure many find them instead simply very long winded! Just can't seem to help myself, don't seem to have the ability to adequately explain some things with 10 words instead of 40!

But, if I helped convince you of Pea Pod benefits, dare I ask how that worked out?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks so much for the kind words...

But, if I helped convince you of Pea Pod benefits, dare I ask how that worked out?

Thanks again!
    You are most welcome.
    The peapod is great and I really like it. However, I just couldn't like the gathered end hammock and have now gone with a bridge hammock which really works for me. It will be below 0F here the next couple nights so I will see how I can make what I have work for me with the bridge.
    Thanks again.

• + New Posts