DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I went hiking two weeks ago on a two night three day trip. This was an equipment shakedown for my back country hunt next month. So I packed 5 days worth of food, and my pack weight was 74 pounds. That included 15 pounds of hog bait, a 10 pound rifle, optics package (rangefinder, binos, spotting scope, tripod), butchering kit, and two days worth of water. We were forced to come back when we ran low on water, and ALL the streams and springs on the map were dry. Saw no hogs, so they live to destroy more habitat. Saw a lot of deer sign, and a couple of does. Saturday was the opening day of muzzle loader elk and we jumped a big bull 25-35 minutes after the season opened. No tag though.

If.this were a hike instead.of prep for a hunt, pack weight would have been about 35 pounds including food and water. I hike to hunt, so UL concepts work, but I don't see my pack weight getting any lower than that. For example, breakfasts are protien powder and oatmeal in a freezer bag and water is boiled in a foster's can. But my 5.5 pound pack will not be replaced with a lighter one, since it has to be able to haul 120 pounds of meat and be comfortable enough to make 3-5 trips from trailhead to campsite/butchering location in a 30 hour span.

pat

unm1136 "my 5.5 pound pack will not be replaced with a lighter one, since it has to be able to haul 120 pounds of meat and be comfortable enough to make 3-5 trips from trailhead to campsite/butchering location in a 30 hour span."

unm1136, if its in your budget take a look at the kifaru ultralight packs. You should be able to drop another 1.5 lbs and still have the same ability. They are the best I've used.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I try and keep my pack as light as possible (while still keeping me at a reasonable comfort level). In doing so, I've seen my pack lighten up by about 8 - 10 pounds (I haven't weighted it recently).

However, I find it easier (and a lot less expensive) to lose 5 pounds of extra weight around my belly, than in my pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Winter incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillnGA View Post
    However, I find it easier (and a lot less expensive) to lose 5 pounds of extra weight around my belly, than in my pack.
    I'm right there with ya my friend

Quote Originally Posted by unm1136 View Post
    I went hiking two weeks ago on a two night three day trip. This was an equipment shakedown for my back country hunt next month. So I packed 5 days worth of food, and my pack weight was 74 pounds. That included 15 pounds of hog bait, a 10 pound rifle, optics package (rangefinder, binos, spotting scope, tripod), butchering kit, and two days worth of water. We were forced to come back when we ran low on water, and ALL the streams and springs on the map were dry. Saw no hogs, so they live to destroy more habitat. Saw a lot of deer sign, and a couple of does. Saturday was the opening day of muzzle loader elk and we jumped a big bull 25-35 minutes after the season opened. No tag though.

If.this were a hike instead.of prep for a hunt, pack weight would have been about 35 pounds including food and water. I hike to hunt, so UL concepts work, but I don't see my pack weight getting any lower than that. For example, breakfasts are protien powder and oatmeal in a freezer bag and water is boiled in a foster's can. But my 5.5 pound pack will not be replaced with a lighter one, since it has to be able to haul 120 pounds of meat and be comfortable enough to make 3-5 trips from trailhead to campsite/butchering location in a 30 hour span.

pat

Have you thought of investing in a horse ?

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangMan View Post
    unm1136 "my 5.5 pound pack will not be replaced with a lighter one, since it has to be able to haul 120 pounds of meat and be comfortable enough to make 3-5 trips from trailhead to campsite/butchering location in a 30 hour span."

unm1136, if its in your budget take a look at the kifaru ultralight packs. You should be able to drop another 1.5 lbs and still have the same ability. They are the best I've used.
    Looked at the UL Packs. I am currently using my G1 Marauder, with KU pods and a cargo chair. Finances being what they are (wife is still in college, just got her hours cut from part time to almost nothing, kid in private school) I need to make my purchases spread out over years and they need to be modular, so I am not waiting on the next purchase to be able to use the new stuff. Make no mistakes: my Marauder is NOT up to the task. With this in mind, any animals harvested this year will be packed out in multiple trips. I have carried almost 90 pounds in my Marauder and it sucked. Several 50 pound trips are much more likely. Since I only have mule deer and Turkey this year I figure 100-120 pounds of meat, another 30-50 of hide and head (skull and its skin is required by law, even if it is not a trophy) and camp equals 4 trips to get the meat to the trail head. It will do for this year, and it will be a good pack for one of the three kids when they start going with me next year.

Next year is a EMR frame and Cargo Panel. That is within half a pound of my current setup, and composite stays will remove that half a pound. In exchange I will get a pack capable of carrying all of my camp and a bunch of meat. In the next year or two I will get a DT1 bag for the frame. Then my pack will weigh 1.25 pounds more than my current setup, but have three times the capacity without the pods. Pods can be stored empty for the packing out heavy route. I will be piggybacking the Marauder on, so next year my pack weight doubles, basically, but will still be just a hair under 10 pounds when I get rid of the cargo chair and remove the omni belt and gunbearer on the Marauder. Max day pack weigh will be about 22 pounds, including rifle.

Don't get me wrong; the 5200 looks like a dream, and will probably be the pack of choice to purchase for the wife and kids, but I am the pack mule. I have a wife who has only car camped, and three kids under 13 to introduce to hunting and fishing. With their water their pack weights will be in the 25-35 pound range and will likely be all they can handle for the foreseeable future. So camp clothes, rifles, sleeping stuff, a little food, and a day's worth of water. If my oldest were 16-18, and in better physical shape I would consider 2 KU5200s for a week long hunt. But my oldest is nowhere near that old, and she will have trouble with 25-35 pounds if we go more than 2 miles or so in.

Have you thought of investing in a horse ?
    No place to keep one between seasons. We need an instant horse, just add water.

This is a very true statement. I have lost 17 pounds in the last year, working on the last 10. The wife was told that she was welcome to come hunting with me when she dropped 35 pounds and was able to walk under a pack for 3 miles. That started a fight, but the last family hike we went on she wanted to give up, and Little Boy had to be loaded up into the cargo chair and carried out when he decided that he was going no further. We were only out for an hour, and 2.5 miles on the hike, on an established trail. Oldest daughter took the discussion to heart and is doing training hikes with the Marauder for her first elk season next year.

pat
    Last edited by unm1136; 10-24-2012 at 15:12. Reason: clarity

unm1136 - if we lived closer we'd be pals! I liked the stories, sounds familiar. Good luck.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Got no pounds to lose D: sometimes a metabolism is your worst enemy

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    unm - have you checked out some of Mystery Ranch's hunting packs? The versatility of their NICE frame makes it the choice for many of my hunting friends. Elk quarters, whole antelope, no problem.

Between MR and Kifaru, you can't find better packs, both made in the USA. (MR made right here in Montana!)
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    On topic: I've lost 125 pounds in the past couple of years, still 25 to my original goal, then another 25 to my ultimate goal.

As far as my pack weight, I honestly am more concerned about volume than weight. I hardly feel anything at 30+ pounds with my pack.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast