DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Barnfind Thread Injector---Bikepacking it out

As with any addiction, you tend to take notice of things around you that will feed that addiction, oftentimes things that others overlook. Like a perfect pair of trees, a discarded hank of rope, or an old thread injector . . . and thus begins my saga:

While biking some local trails a few months ago and noting all the prime locations for some stealth hanging, I came upon the remnants of an old building I'd seen several times before. It appears to have been a small house and maybe a shop or business sometime toward the end of it's usefull life. Now completely open to the weather and anyone or thing that dares to explore it, it still contains scattered broken bits of it's once usefull contents. Among the wreckage, two ancient thread injectors were clearly visible from the open doorway. One, tossed to the floor and half covered by falling pieces of the loft above; the other, still mounted to it's work table in a far corner. Everything about the building seemed so far gone that I didn't think much about it until later reading a thread on this forum touting the merits of the older, simpler, well-built machines . . . Hmmmmm

I contacted an individual who oversees maintenance of the property including the small family cemetary nearby, and he explained that there is talk of tearing the structure down in the near future to lessen the liability of someone getting hurt in it. I mentioned that I saw all the junk still inside and he responded that after they burn the pile, they'll have to haul off or bury what's left. `Nuff said! I waited for the weather to cool enough to slow down any snakes, and rode my Trek and DIY trailer back to the spot. Here's a look at the building.

Here's what I found:

The machine still mounted to the table was perhaps a `60's model, unidentifiable and lacking any lables or numbers. It was missing about half its parts. Although powered by a large motor slung below the table, the motor was seized and appeared to be a redneck hack replacement.

After uncovering the other machine on the floor, I immediately recognized it as a Singer-201. It appeared to be intact and complete, but it was so crusty & rusty that I wondered if it had been used as a boat anchor after being disgarded. Every piece of this machine was rusted solidly in place, and it showed no signs of ever intending to move again. Second-guessing myself all the way, I loaded the small behemoth on my bike trailer, while making very accurate predictions that my wife would indeed call it "a bucket of ugly!" I was not wrong.

Further back in the building, I found an old Singer sewing desk with the treadle-type of motor control. The machine was long gone, but the motor on this one was free and had a Singer badge on its side. All this was way too big for me to haul out on a bike, so I left it alone . . . (for now.)

Well, here's the 201, tarped and ready to be pedaled out of the woods.

Here's what I found when I got it home:

Yupp, that's a 1956 Singer-201 boat anchor. The more I looked at it, the more I wondered why I even bothered to rescue it. But on a whim, I pulled the motor and rigged it up to an extension cord -- amazingly, it hummed right along!

Since I was blown away that the motor still worked, I decided to see if there's any chance of hope for the rest of the machine. And so the tedious deconstruction begins . . . Hand me that big can of WD-40, will ya?!?

Anyone want to hinge a bet on whether or not this machine will ever inject some thread into one of my hammocks? I'll letcha know what I find . . .

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    The 201 is a die hard workhorse - I love mine. I'm always finding them in thrift stores and yard sales. Hope you get it running, but it looks like a big job.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Nothing a bit duct tape, spit, and bailing wire can't fix.

Good luck with restoration project, if nothing else it will make a nice conversation piece.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Riding along with this one...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't use WD-40. Known as Kerosene in a can it does not lubricate and I suspect there are better penetrating oils around for soaking. You are probably going to have to have some bushings replaced and surfaces polished once you get it loosened up. If you don't have the proper equipment for fine surface polishing you might want to consider having that done professionally. Looks like a good project for the winter off season. Have fun.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    PB Blaster and Kroil should be your new friends. Ebay for parts.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    Congrats! It looks like you have some work ahead of you...

I'd strip all the moving parts off and bead blast the body to remove the rust, then reapply paint, or even powder coat the thing!

Heck, if you don't care about adhering to "original", you could even parkerize it - kind of a tactical stealth coating people have done to refinish some guns.

Personally, I'd get it blasted and then powder coated, after you determine that you could get it to operate.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Asym
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ, HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    What a great find! Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Hammock
    Skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Gortex bivie cover
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Please post pics of your progress.they would greatly appreciated

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Brother if you resurrect that puppy it will be an epic adventure.

Don't feel bad if you think better of it after some thought.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast