Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Love Wiggy's. 2 decades of heavy use & my bags are still going strong. I accidentally went swimming in January in a blizzard. I slept on top of the snow in the storm with my FTRSS set up. I'm convinced the bags kept me alive. With wet clothes and 18 inches of fresh snow overnight the next morning everything was dry. I was warm as soon as I got my clothes off in the bag and slept great all night. The bags are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by webhanger; 10-27-2012 at 13:01.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

First night out

Temperature was 24-26 F. Under me the Exped Synmat 9 DXL 77" x 25". Moderate wind. DB 72 DL with weather cover deployed. Clothing was just cotton pajamas, long sleeves. Head gear was cap made out of alpaca wool (very, very hot)

Quite cozy but I would thought it could have been warmer. No cold spots anywhere.

There is one thing missing in Super Light which is in Antarctic model. There is no extra adjustment cord over the chest area. But to my surprise it did not feel to make any difference. Maybe it is the heavy bag material that keeps the hot air inside not to escape from bag. There are no collars in Wiggy's bags, so it is very easy to go in and out from bag.

Bag is very nice to use and handle. Robust and well how should I put it... maybe I say sturdy.

I'm very happy that I bought the Super Light and not the Ultra Light. Warmer is better even if it means bit more weight.

The original reason for me to buy Antarctic with cover bag was that it was the only bag to promise very low temperature limit. And I did not care the weight or size. It was "The Ultimate Deep Cold Bag" to choose. There is few manufacturers that make bags for deep cold anymore, because normal people do not sleep in those conditions - market is to small.

But reflecting this to the Super Light there is no such limit when choosing bag. If weight would be the deciding factor then I could carry two down bags with similar temperature rating as Super Light's 0 F. And they probably would take less space also.

Pictures coming at some point...

P.S. I checked out from Haglöfs (good Swedish manufacturer) about weights. Synthetic bag with similar temperature rating weights exactly same as Wiggy's Super Light. And Down bag weight is one kilo less - about 3,8 lbs. So no complaints about weight anymore.
    Last edited by voivalin; 10-27-2012 at 03:57.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Pictures

Surface material is rip-stop, those little squares do show in this image if looked carefully.

There is no quilting, those ridges have formed because of the Synmat. Even this "small" Wiggy's bag fills DB 72 fully. And probably would not fit very well in smaller hammocks.

This is the only adjustable cord in Super Light. Though it is multi function, tightness of the front side and hood side can be adjusted separately.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    How big does it pack?

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    How big does it pack?
    I will come to that tomorrow. Bag is still out there, they are promising colder night - about 17 F. I just came from 1 1/2 hour jog, and I will go to the sauna, after that it will be a bit chilly to go out for night, but I will do it anyhow. These activities will add extra simulation aspect when it comes to a real hike compared to just going out from the warm house.

I will test the Psolar head gear to keep my nose warm and also I will see if it is possible to keep it over my face whole night. I will probably be a quite wet if I succeed in that. But if the test goes well Psolar will eliminate the winter condensation problem all together forever! (Thinking about The Alpine hammock and/or temperatures under -5 F for example, not really a problem in normal hammock situation)
    Last edited by voivalin; 10-27-2012 at 13:47.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    The way the bag functions I would be surprised if you get much condensation in the bag, the nylon may get a little wet where you breath directly on it but thats about it. Unless you have a top layer that doesn't breath, the moisture will leave the bag very effectively. On really cold nights I've wiggled down deep in the bag and placed the hole a few inches from my face allowing a channel for air. Slept like a dream. The only time I have noticed condensation is where unwarmed corners of my bag have frozen, this has never been near my body.

For high altitudes I always double up the FTRSS bags and take the bivy. Weather can be hard to predict sometimes and to many unexpected circumstances can happen. If I snow cave I typically sleep on top of the bivy, ground pad, and one of the bags. This combo plays well in a hammock with the optional variations.

I have not yet had condensation problems unless the waterproof bottom of the bivy catches rain and other moisture while sleeping. Problem solved with a tarp. Even with that I've still been warm the rest of the night. Once the water problem was resolved the bags have dried right out. I have the (-20 Degree) Ultima thule, the overbag (35 degree bag) and put these in a really old version of the bivy bag. Wiggys says the combo should take me below -60 degrees. I have not hit that limit and don't intend to now that camping is more like fun. I have in the past frequently slept under the stars with this configuration above 8000 feet.

The one thing I have found is that wind penetrates the bags by themselves which can be a pain, again problem solved with a tarp or some sort of windbreak. Anyone for a burrito?
    Last edited by webhanger; 10-27-2012 at 12:49.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Measurements

Second night was similar to the first - actually bit warmer.

Psolar worked fine until to middle of the night when I woke up because of the slight pain in my left earlobe. Cap and psolar hood induced constant pressure and it eventually made the pain. But otherwise it worked like a charm - no condensation and no wet face. I will use it again after some stretching, and do not use the cap so deep it will be over my ears.

Super light measures in it's XL-sized (Wiggy's) compression sack 21" x 11" as Wiggy's say. But when compressed almost to the final limit (I was sitting on it with my 255 lbs body weight) it goes down to the 14" x 11". I'm pleased, it will probably fit in my Fjällräven Kajka 100 liters back bag's sleeping bag compartment.

No pictures this time.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    looks like a good price, but might be a little hard on the back if traveling by foot!

For motorized travel that is one hell of a deal though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12