Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I didn't get that far - he says to use a bedsheet and 244-lb. rated rope. Somebody needs to say something to him before people start getting hurt.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It won't be " No Sew" anymore when he gets his stitches after that rope breaks and drops him on his head.

Images
    plus not all sheets are created equal..some at wally world are just short of burlap..and dont have much strength.. but hey that might be a use for those old silk sheets

The knot itself is actually quite useful. I started out whipping my hammock, but then switched to this. Now I do it w/webbing and only wrap it around 1.5 times. Works like a charm and is fairly easy to untie if you want to adjust the lay/length.

Images
    I think I remember reading that somewhere on WB.

Word of caution. I have ended up on the ground using ripstop with out sewing the edges. I have ended up on the ground using para cord rated at 500 lbs with a decent angle to it.

Take it for what its worth, but I would not do it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I ended up on the ground from my whipping sliding off the end. It was still coiled and stuck to my support webbing.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    I ended up on the ground from my whipping sliding off the end. It was still coiled and stuck to my support webbing.
    Did you hem the ends of your body material? I can't imagine that a tight whipping could slide past a good thick hem.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Did you hem the ends of your body material? I can't imagine that a tight whipping could slide past a good thick hem.
    lol, no, I didn't, it was just a quicky test. i used about 8 wraps of the whipping and pulled it pretty darn tight (I leave 2 feet on each side so I can wrap it around my hands and pull real tight). I bet you're right, I haven't had my hemmed ones fail me. I was just glad that it was the whipping that failed and not the fabric or my hand-stitched webbing loop.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    lol, no, I didn't, it was just a quicky test. i used about 8 wraps of the whipping and pulled it pretty darn tight (I leave 2 feet on each side so I can wrap it around my hands and pull real tight). I bet you're right, I haven't had my hemmed ones fail me. I was just glad that it was the whipping that failed and not the fabric or my hand-stitched webbing loop.
    You'd be surprised how strong stitching is, especially what you do by hand. And once you get your ends hemmed, you won't have that problem again. Oh - and another (maybe easier) way to tighten the whipping is to use a couple of pairs of pliers. Don't need as much excess cord that way. Or you could use wire ties, of course.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast