Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use pads exclusively in the extreme col (subzero). With no empirical data to back it up, it "feels" like the wallworld blue (not the egg crate one) provides better thermal insulation than the egg crate or more flexible ccfs. This might be due to thickness variation or compressibility variance of various ccfs.

If the cheap blue ww pad isnt enough, then another one ar ten bucks is a cheap way to increase yiur unsulation. likely it is side(shoulder) area whuch needs civerage. so a second pad cut to be the hammock width will fix that.

pads work best in dl hammocks that are hung tighter than others.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Sorry for typos. using my phone... not drunk. lol

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Until I got my Jarbridge UQ I used a blue walmart CCF pad. The one I have is 24in x 72 and 1/2" thick....actually its kind of wavey from 1/4" to 1/2" thinkness like mini egg crates. I opted for the 24in since it is a bit wider and would wrap around my shoulders a bit more than a 20" pad would.

Recently I got two 1/8" Evarest pads from Lawson to try out which is a lot thinner and a bit lighter than the WM pad, but the 1/8" Evarest was a pain to keep in place in the hammock when getting in. I tried experimenting with some document binder clips to hold the Evarest pad in place but was still pretty tough. The thicker walmart pad stays put much better (and without clips).

Last time out I used the walmart pad with the UQ and I was almost too warm in high 20's overnight using my trusty Ledge 20* Featherlite bag. Second night was warmer in 40's but I still used the pad cause I'm so used to it. I think in colder weather I will still use the blue CF pad, but in warmer temps (over 50*) I may try the Evarest pad cut down for just my feet since the Jarbridge is a 3/4 UQ. The Evarest is easy to fold and I am thinking a 24" x 24" or 36" section would be good enough for my calves/feet and could double as a small sit pad.

I think Gossamer and Lawson now sell Eva pads in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness which may be a better alternative.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Comparing 1/2" to another 1/2 inch, I don't believe there is any warmth difference. Some makes might be more flexible than others which can make a difference in terms of comfort.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

pads

The 19" width EVA pads from Gossamer Gear are too narrow for hangers, been there, done that myself. Get the 24" ones from other suppliers. If you already own the GG pad, use it on top of a cheap, smooth surface foam pad.

I agree that the insulation value will be about the same for any flat surface, closed cell foam pad of the same thickness. The waffle surface will let more air in, both summer and winter. That air circulation is good in warm weather.

I like Mountainfitter's new, thicker EVA pads for the width, the light weight, and the softness. Yes, the 1/8 inch foam is just too flimsy to work well.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    The 19" width EVA pads from Gossamer Gear are too narrow for hangers, been there, done that myself. Get the 24" ones from other suppliers. If you already own the GG pad, use it on top of a cheap, smooth surface foam pad.

I agree that the insulation value will be about the same for any flat surface, closed cell foam pad of the same thickness. The waffle surface will let more air in, both summer and winter. That air circulation is good in warm weather.

I like Mountainfitter's new, thicker EVA pads for the width, the light weight, and the softness. Yes, the 1/8 inch foam is just too flimsy to work well.
    Gossamer gear has a 1/4 pad which is 39" wide.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    There are some 40x80" EVA pads here: http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

Mike

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I have the 1/4 GG. I haven't used any other pad but this kept me plenty warm in 40s (havent been out colder with the hammock). The selling point for me with the extra width to cover my shoulders. My only issue is that you can't slide or turn easily due to the texture. Also, fairly large to pack, but I imagine that is with all pads.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl layer,WBTrvlr
    Tarp
    WBMambajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Someone mentioned a 46 x 93 EVA Foam pad at Big Lots for $18 on one of other forums.
    "Are you hung up?"

Images
    Dang, I just drop $175 for a TQ and TWO HUNDY on a UQ, and I could have been comfortable for $18??????

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast