Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to hang structural ridgeline

Background:
    I added an srl to my gt sbp. I hung last night to try and get a feel for the sag and length of the ridgeline. I had the ridgeline WAY too long (it wasn't taught, even with the hammock gun like a guitar string!). I adjusted it and I like it so far. I kept a few feet so that I can adjust it over the next few months.

Question:
    I noticed, though, even with the ridgeline at a good length (around 100" because I like a lot of sag with this laege hammock) it was difficult to hang the hammock with the ridgeline taught. The ridgeline didn't pull taught until I added my weight to the hammock. To hang the hammock, without my weight and the ridgeline tight, I'd have to have the suspension lines almost perpendicular to the tree, in line with the tight ridgeline.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I hang it now so that the suspension is at about 20 degrees before I get I and the hammock is about 2' off te ground. As I get in, the ridgeline pulls tight and the suspension lowers to around 30 degrees an I'm about 18" inches off the ground. Is this normal? Am I missing something? Am I even explaining this clearly? Thanks so much for your help!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Nope, you're doing it right.

The SRL really just limit's minimum hang angle. If the suspension is hung such that the hang angle is greater than the angle between the hammock and the SRL then it will have slack. The closer those two angles are to each other, the less stress there is on the SRL (so if both were a perfect 30* the SRL would have zero tension, but would be straight across.

If the ridge line is strong enough, this means you can put the suspension at low hang angles (like 5* or 10*, or even smaller) and keep the same sag in your hammock. As the angles get's smaller, the stress on the SRL increases exponentially, however.

I have the same question. When I calculate the 83% figure and set up to that measurement, I get a hang angle closer to 45*. The 30* angle gets me something like 10-12" shorter than the calculation suggests.

So, I'm with you and looking for some help.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jaitch View Post
    ...The 30* angle gets me something like 10-12" shorter than the calculation suggests...
    This may be a dumb question, but are you measuring the 30* angle up or down from horizontal vs. out from vertical?

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/d...ck-suspension/

Horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    . . .If the suspension is hung such that the hang angle is greater than the angle between the hammock and the SRL then it will have slack. The closer those two angles are to each other, the less stress there is on the SRL (so if both were a perfect 30* the SRL would have zero tension, but would be straight across.
    That's what I've been wondering. Thanks

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP didn't give the length of his hammock. The 5/6 = 83% ratio is in the middle of comfortable for most. YMMV due to preference differences and differences in stretch of the hammock. It is that stretch from loading that changes the hang angle.

Once you find an SRL length you like for a particular hmmk, the hang angle doesn't matter much (or at all?), unless it puts you too close to the ground when your are aboard.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I like a LOT of sag... 83% is a good starting point... YMMV...

and no, don't hang your hammock super tight!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images

ridgeline

Ridgeline should be abour 83% of the length of the hammock. The best illustration of setting up a hammock and setting the ridgeline tension is, IMO, this vid from the maker of warbonnet hammocks. RL test is at about 5.20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    83% of hammock leangth is ~ 99" on a 10' hammock, ~107" for 11' ext.

Structural ridge line tension is effected by the suspension length and angle, right?
    So if the trees are 40' apart and the angle is 5-10 deg, there will.be a lot of tension when you weight the hammock. What's wrong with having a lot of tension on the Srl? After all is is structural and it, the suspension and the anchors/trees are taking the load, not the hammock, right?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast