Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Balancing TQ and UQ

I am wondering if it makes sense to go 20* UQ and 40* TQ and if anyone else is doing this sort of thing? I am looking for a versatile setup that will best accommodate my needs.

Most of my hanging is not that cold, I would say 30% 70* or warmer, 30% in 50-60* or warmer at night, 30% in 40-60* and 10% 20-40* temps. I don't see using an UQ above 70*. So the majority of my quilt use would probably be 40* or warmer.

My thoughts were, I could probably vent easier than add clothing. I just dont think I can justify 2 sets of quilts. This set up is for the WBBB MC which is DL 1.9 and 1.1, perhaps warmer than some other DL hammocks.

Does anyone find the YETI to be small, it seems like one of the smallest 3/4 UQ out there? I am 6'.

My current choices are between the UQC 3/4 zeppelin in 20* vs. the YETI and pretty much set on HG 40* burrow TQ.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I have a HG "Summer" Burrow and 20° Full Zeppelin. The setup works well venting the UQ in summer and in 30° weather adding my down jacket, heavy socks, and fleece pants.

Images
    Okay, I wasn't sure if everyone was matching a 0-0, 20-20, 40-40, etc...I know it is hang your own hang, but at around $400 bills for a TQ/UQ combo, that gets pricey...quick. Just looking for a little bit of " How do you do it?"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    In coolish weather, I've got a 20*F Incubator under-quilt that I use with a 40*F Burrow top-quilt. If your back is cold, you're cold. If it's warm, you don't need so much on top.

For warmer weather, I have a 40*F Incubator under-quilt. On those occasions, I find the 40*F top-quilt too warm!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    It sems to me that I have been more comfortable with more under quilt the top quilt. Easer to adjust comfort from above.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'm the opposite... at least in weather above freezing, I like a down Speer Top Blanket and lightweight synthetic 3/4 Baby Orca.

Below freezing, I use the same Speer Top Blanket and lots of insulation in the UQ!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I know that everyone is different, but for me... I have found that I need an UQ when the temps dip below 70. I don't usually need/want a TQ until the temps dip down to about 60 or below. I'm definitely in the "more insulation underneath" group.

Probably the best thing to do is to start hanging with whatever gear you have or can scrounge and then find out what you need from trial and error in the back yard (so that you can go in the house if you get too cold or can't get your temps right).

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    That combo is just what worked for me last winter, and just tested in the recent cold wave in Nebraska and eastern Oregon @30F and 21F respectively. But, check your loft, whatever the label rating.

The colder it gets, the more important drape and sealing become. A balaclava is cheap. And don't forget the importance of warm feet for nighttime comfort and sleep.

Images
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for here. I wasn't sure if I was re-inventing the wheel, there is too much knowledge on this forum to be overlooked. Plus, in the past, every time I "thought" I had an inventive idea, it either did not work or someone else had already had the idea...as my tenure continues here, my searching skills improve.

Thanks for the help, ideas and suggestions! Keep Em coming.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    great question. im in the exact same boat. I have a 45* JRB Shenandoah and want a 20* greylock underquilt and hope to not need to buy another quilt. I may only have one or two nights a year below freezing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast