Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Great report!

Why do you think the tarp ripped? Cheap tarp? Grommets? Are grommets less strong than the sewn in tie out loops on the high quality tarps sold by the vendors who are well known here?

If it was the grommets, could that be overcome by wrapping the tarp around a smooth stone ( or whatever suitable might be available) and cinching the tie out cords around the fabric bulge or "knot" that results?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    I had hung with my son under the same 11' Hex tarp until we got a nasty rain storm this summer. We stayed dry, but couldn't close the doors on the winward side, Luckily we didn't get wet, but we were both concerned. He finally asked for his own tarp . . . the only 9 year old with an 11' Sil-Hex Tarp with winter doors, and his own hammock with removable zip-in bug net that can be replaced with fleece. Am I spoiling him? or ensuring a camping buddy forever?!?

We slept out on Friday night with a few other scouts (Webelos I). The temp got down to 23. It was nice that he went out like a light and woke up at 5:30 because he was "too hot." I've now got him wanting to go camping in the snow. YEAH!
    that is great. I was packing down my stuff and thinking I should have a clark vertex. So we could hunker down together, stay warm, dry and still be within arms reach.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Great report.

Every time, I hang the tarp first, (if not raining) leave it in its skins, and use the tarp to center and level between the trees. If not raining, I hang the tarp a few inches higher than head high, so as to have some walking around room. The hammock goes up next using the established tarp as a guide for centering and leveling. Depending on distance between trees, the hammock suspension may be much higher than the tarp connection. The tips of the hammock should be close to, but not touching the tarp. If raining, everything drops down a few inches or a foot, or in a storm, more than a foot.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great report!

Why do you think the tarp ripped? Cheap tarp? Grommets? Are grommets less strong than the sewn in tie out loops on the high quality tarps sold by the vendors who are well known here?

If it was the grommets, could that be overcome by wrapping the tarp around a smooth stone ( or whatever suitable might be available) and cinching the tie out cords around the fabric bulge or "knot" that results?
    if I was out camping either solo or with my son I would have fixed and or tweeked my setup. I ha e no dought it was a cheap tarp and it ripped because I didn't set it up as well as I should have ( it should have been lower and I should have used all the tie outs to spread out the pull on anyone section. When I got there my son ( being 8 and out at a cubscout event) was standing next to me and saw something or someone and went to run off and took out one of my corner tie outs. I did a modified rock/gathered end hammock thingy to the corner. I wrapped the line around the end and then folded it over and wrapped again and the repeated. I was very proud of that becasue it held tight.

the tarp lost toughtness and became a sail. It was being pushed sideways amd all the weight was on the top grommet being pulled across the ridgeline. Hindsite is only 20/20 if you know enough and you are willing to learn.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Great report.

Every time, I hang the tarp first, (if not raining) leave it in its skins, and use the tarp to center and level between the trees. If not raining, I hang the tarp a few inches higher than head high, so as to have some walking around room. The hammock goes up next using the established tarp as a guide for centering and leveling. Depending on distance between trees, the hammock suspension may be much higher than the tarp connection. The tips of the hammock should be close to, but not touching the tarp. If raining, everything drops down a few inches or a foot, or in a storm, more than a foot.
    I just need to walk the walk more so I can get to the point some of you guys are at. I feel like I know enough to be able to do it the way you are saying, but its a lot like tying knots. Sitting at my desk I can tie several knots very well, but out in the field I get lost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12