Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

cubscout hang ended in a tent

so we had a cubscout weekend( me and my son of course). Got there late set up my tarp first and set it up to high. Set up my bmbh for my son and went to set up my bias camper and realized I left my webbing at home. So I went home and got my webbing. Now I was all set. The spot I chose was just off a lake and we had the fringe of the hurricane so the wind was 20mph sustained with gusts up to forty. That night I got me and my son in and snugged up( I know I need an uq), but I did have trouble getting my pads set. In the end I slept great even with all the wind. The only problem was getting out of my warm comfy hammock into a windy chill.

later that afternoon I wanted to fix my tarp and lower it and maybe rig some closed doors out if my 16x20. When I was walking up I heard ripping. My tarp was being pulled and it was ripping. I had the tarp over the ridgeline and then tied thru the gromits pulled tight to the edges. I also only had 4 tie outs on the ground.
    now the reason I gave up and went to ground was because I am attending the uwharrie hang next week and I only have one tarp left. I have another tarp, but it will only acomidate one hammock and I use the walmart tarp to cover both hammocks.

lessons I learned:
    make an inventory list to include all items needed for a trip.
    if you can set the hammocks up first.
    try not to rely on other people to keep your schedule.
    use all tie outs.
    have the right equipment whenever possible.
    and know how to use it.
    deligate more things to compitant people so I can focus more on my setup and more important my son.
    choose a better spot.
    I am still doing something wrong but thanks to brian with bias I used the arl and made it as large as possible.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    My hang time this week was abruptly end by a bear. Hopefully no high winds or bears next weekend.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    My hang time this week was abruptly end by a bear. Hopefully no high winds or bears next weekend.
    **** - there's a story and you left us hanging....
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    **** - there's a story and you left us hanging....
    I posted here
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=61842

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    yes and a big yes

Sorry to hear about the tarp and I hope it gets mended quickly. I use a large tarp myself to keep 2 hammocks under as my son isn't old enough to hang by himself yet. I take it the rest of the weekend went went well for the young Cubs and that they took away great stories to tell all their friends at school. Our Cub and Family weekend was at the beginning of Oct. and we started out with wind and drizzle but ended up with a nice weekend. Have fun and stay safe next weekend .

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the tarp and I hope it gets mended quickly. I use a large tarp myself to keep 2 hammocks under as my son isn't old enough to hang by himself yet. I take it the rest of the weekend went went well for the young Cubs and that they took away great stories to tell all their friends at school. Our Cub and Family weekend was at the beginning of Oct. and we started out with wind and drizzle but ended up with a nice weekend. Have fun and stay safe next weekend .
    we talked about the magic that happens in the eyes of our children( In this case cubscouts but it applies to all). Those boys have so much fun and its all worth it, but I always feel like its falling apart or not gonna work. My sons magic is that he goes camping and all he needs is always a " dad where is my" away fro his grasp. He dresses eats sleeps and stays dry and warm from cubmaster dad magic. The kids all have wonderful times ( because they all say so and then when we pack up and leave the parents say that same thing) and all that goes into it is just blind fun. They don't see the man/woman behind the curtains pulling the levers.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    still tweaking
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    we talked about the magic that happens in the eyes of our children( In this case cubscouts but it applies to all). Those boys have so much fun and its all worth it, but I always feel like its falling apart or not gonna work. My sons magic is that he goes camping and all he needs is always a " dad where is my" away fro his grasp. He dresses eats sleeps and stays dry and warm from cubmaster dad magic. The kids all have wonderful times ( because they all say so and then when we pack up and leave the parents say that same thing) and all that goes into it is just blind fun. They don't see the man/woman behind the curtains pulling the levers.
    May it always be so.

Images
    Great report!

Why do you think the tarp ripped? Cheap tarp? Grommets? Are grommets less strong than the sewn in tie out loops on the high quality tarps sold by the vendors who are well known here?

If it was the grommets, could that be overcome by wrapping the tarp around a smooth stone ( or whatever suitable might be available) and cinching the tie out cords around the fabric bulge or "knot" that results?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great report!

Why do you think the tarp ripped? Cheap tarp? Grommets? Are grommets less strong than the sewn in tie out loops on the high quality tarps sold by the vendors who are well known here?

If it was the grommets, could that be overcome by wrapping the tarp around a smooth stone ( or whatever suitable might be available) and cinching the tie out cords around the fabric bulge or "knot" that results?
    if I was out camping either solo or with my son I would have fixed and or tweeked my setup. I ha e no dought it was a cheap tarp and it ripped because I didn't set it up as well as I should have ( it should have been lower and I should have used all the tie outs to spread out the pull on anyone section. When I got there my son ( being 8 and out at a cubscout event) was standing next to me and saw something or someone and went to run off and took out one of my corner tie outs. I did a modified rock/gathered end hammock thingy to the corner. I wrapped the line around the end and then folded it over and wrapped again and the repeated. I was very proud of that becasue it held tight.

the tarp lost toughtness and became a sail. It was being pushed sideways amd all the weight was on the top grommet being pulled across the ridgeline. Hindsite is only 20/20 if you know enough and you are willing to learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast