Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Hammock Gear Full Length Incubator question

I am looking at the Hammock Gear Full Length Incubator for an underquilt. My question is regarding the temperature rating.

For general spring, summer, fall the 40deg would work but I do camp in the colder weather also so I am looking at the 20deg bag.

This is where my question comes in. In an effort to multi-use my gear I am sticking to sleeping bags for my top insulation. These work with everything and I have not found them to be a hindrance in comfort in the hammock. My goal is to have one underquilt that will handle most of my needs, then change sleeping bags per environment.

Will this work? If the temp drops to 0 to +5deg and I have a 0deg bag with my 20deg underquilt will I be OK? I can always throw the sleeping bag off of me so I am not concerned with the temperature regulation on the upper end - just the cold side.

Hammock
    Waitin' on my new DH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20*F Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So far the 20* has worked well for me, I just change my sleeping bags around. When the temps dropped, I got in the bag and zipped it up and was almost too hot. The only problem (which is solved thanks to Dutch) is getting the incubator in stay in the right spot as I toss and turn in my hammock.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Generally, you can get by with the opposite, a 0 degree underquilt and 20 degree bag, especially if you wear some layers to bed. Its harder to keep warm even with layers from the bottom since you'll be compressing those. Although, a thin closed cell pad could give you 20 degrees of protection to help add to your insulation.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    I am looking at the Hammock Gear Full Length Incubator for an underquilt. My question is regarding the temperature rating.

For general spring, summer, fall the 40deg would work but I do camp in the colder weather also so I am looking at the 20deg bag.

This is where my question comes in. In an effort to multi-use my gear I am sticking to sleeping bags for my top insulation. These work with everything and I have not found them to be a hindrance in comfort in the hammock. My goal is to have one underquilt that will handle most of my needs, then change sleeping bags per environment.

Will this work? If the temp drops to 0 to +5deg and I have a 0deg bag with my 20deg underquilt will I be OK? I can always throw the sleeping bag off of me so I am not concerned with the temperature regulation on the upper end - just the cold side.
    I'd say a 20 degree under quilt will not to be adequate for 0 to + 5 even with a thicker sleeping bag on top. You need more under you for 0 to +5. Laying on the sleeping bag compresses the insulation and it won't benefit you much regardless of temp rating so you'll likely come away cold underneath. Of course if you are a warm sleeper that may help some. I am a cold sleeper and I find 20 degree rated quilts only warm enough down to 30. Below that I switch to my winter quilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have been using pads for the past year and a half or so. I need to get away from them. I made a fleece underquilt for my last trip and, although it was super comfortable, the weight was just way too much. So if I can tune my underquilt for the conditions I am going to be in then I'd rather over-insulate down there than under. I don't want to burn up and sweat too much in the summer months either, though. I've gone the route of just throwing my sleeping bag in the hammock and forgetting about the bottom insulation at around 55-60deg. I had plenty of warmth up top but I can't tell you how uncomfortable I was after about 2:00am. It was horrible.

What about getting a 20deg underquilt with overfill?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Generally, you can get by with the opposite, a 0 degree underquilt and 20 degree bag, especially if you wear some layers to bed. Its harder to keep warm even with layers from the bottom since you'll be compressing those. Although, a thin closed cell pad could give you 20 degrees of protection to help add to your insulation.
    I agree. Better to go with the thicker under quilt than the top quilt if you have to choose.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I have a one UQ quiver and it is the 20 deg incubator. I have slept in this rig down to 15 degrees. I am not sure that you could go to 0-5 degrees . I am however pleased with the coverage of the quilt. Nice handy work on the construction of this quilt. When it gets warm, I cannot use this quilt.
    Good luck.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    What about getting a 20deg underquilt with overfill?
    You could but how much $ are you really saving. If you're really want to go down 0 degrees get the winter under quilt or supplement a 20 degree with a pad. Combining pads with under quilts can be tricky to ensure a good seal if you aren't careful but it's definitely workable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Just remember down underneath you (laying directly on it) in a hammock or in a tent (such as a sleeping bag) compresses and looses its insulating properties which is what would worry me about using a zero bag and a 20 UQ down to zero. You may feel cold from underneath. That's why you need a pad in a tent and either a pad or UQ in a hammock. Sleeping on an UQ in a tent wont work because you are compressing all the down and loosing its insulating properties. Same theory with using a zero sleeping bag and a 20 UQ down to zero in a hammock no enough insulation from underneath. So sleeping in a zero bag and using a 20 UQ down to zero I know I personally would be cold. I have a zero Incubator and a 20 Phoenix and me personally would be cold using my 20 Phoenix below 15 regardless of the TQ or Bag rating. I just know I'd feel the cold underneath. If I had to deal with it in an emergency situation I may be able to get my 20 Phoenix down to 10 but it's not something I would willingly try. YMMV
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts