My First Bridge Hammock

I just finished my first DIY Bridge Hammock. Looking for comments and suggestions.

I fallow the Grizzly's DIY guide and modified it.

Things I modified:
    1. I used 1/2, Flat webbing (non tube) 1,600 lbs seamed like a bit of over kill.
    2. Continued the webbing all the way to my decent rings.
    3. rather than using webbing all the way around the tree, I just used 880 lb rope and put it in a 18" of 1/2" Tube webbing

So far the weight is 31.8 oz including the body, suspension, poles. No bug fly yet and not UQ or OQ.

The few problems I have with it right now is I need to add more stitching to the main suspension/body straps, reinforce the pole straps.

Other than the good amount stretching in the main ropes Im very happy with the way it lays.

Here are some photos.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Truly nice))))) Yeah....that rope will stretch but glad to hear that your good and happy with the lay.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Truly nice))))) Yeah....that rope will stretch but glad to hear that your good and happy with the lay.
    Shug
    Thanks, Its working out nicely. Thanks to the help from the group!

I made some changes after loading it for the first time. The grommets that the poles go through where pulling through the straps. so I pulled out the old grommets, dubbed up on the strapping and used a heated door hinge pin to burn a hole through the strapping rather than use the cutting tool that came with. I found out the hole was to big and stretched to far when loaded.

Im still trying to figure out the best way to do the end caps. I've through about making pockets that I slide the poles in to keep the the end caps tout. Then doing bug netting over the rest of it.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very very nice. Great Job

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    alright!! good job and thanks for the info yesterday it was helpful indeed. what are the bars ya using on the ends are they aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    alright!! good job and thanks for the info yesterday it was helpful indeed. what are the bars ya using on the ends are they aluminum?
    They are tent poles. 0.742" Dia. they may be a little over kill but the 0.625" ones don't have holes on the end caps for shock cords

Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    Awesome hammock! I am getting ready for the same project, did you use Grizz's (way too) mathematical equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Awesome hammock! I am getting ready for the same project, did you use Grizz's (way too) mathematical equation?
    Thanks. No I just took the drew a spline in auto cad with 6" depth max and then measured the depth of cut at 0, 10, 20,.... 70 and 80".

Good luck, Lot of work but very rewarding

Made some upgrades to my suspension system. Some members will be happy to know I have gone to a webbing around the tree.

I started by putting a 1/2" flat strap inside of 1" tube webbing. This allows the strap to settle with out pulling bark off the tree and also keeps the primary strap clean of junk and goo

My big issues with most of the other systems I have seen the the ability to adjust the tension. With the bridge hammock I've found that being able to adjust the tension is paramount for getting a level hammock when you load it. before I used a 4mm rope pulled through the main suspension ring and then put into an adjustable knot back on to its self. this worked ok but trying to loosen it was not easy. also the 4mm rope seamed to really stretch under load. No I used a 7mm rope tied to the main suspension loop with a figure 8 and then I used the same 4mm rope to tie a Klemhiest Hitch onto the 7mm rope. this working amazingly well. once loaded I need only to bend the knot in my hand a few times and its lose enough to easily adjust. I then clip the 4mm loop into the tree strap and Im done! right now I have 4x mini beiners in the system but could easily drop to just 2. for right now however its easier to keep them in so I can leet my straps up and still work on my hammock inside. take a look. Love to know what you think. I know the light pole isn't a tree but its all i got with in range! and sorry for some the focus. hard to get up close with a iphone camera

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Your suspension looks sweet as well as the bridge. Really nice job! Also looks like you thought out everything very well! I like that you factored the adjustable piece of rope to for quick adjust for your lay. I like the idea.

• + New Posts