HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thanks for another entertaining video Shug. Happy Birthday to WF!! Glad you like our products. 2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all, for the Birthday wishes! This 50 year old still's got a lot of game! The icing on the cake (banana pudding) was backpacking and hammocking on the SHT with a good friend. We tinkered a bit, blistered a bit, froze a little bit and had a lot of laughs.

The section around Pincushion will kick your buttocks, however, it also had some of the best scenery on the trip...excluding the trail along Lake Superior. Walking on the lake shore rocks was like post holing in 6 inches of slushy snow and then you'd come upon ankle wrecking angled boulders. However, we felt real good doing this section of the trail. The views were spectacular! Many folks opt out of the lake walk and take the hwy to the next trailhead.

Very happy to have Shug loan me his winter Yeti. This, along with the 2QZQ uq protector and the JRB Hudson River(L) kept me toasty warm down to 24 degrees, in pretty windy conditions too. Buying a winter uq is definitely my next major gear buy.

Can not say enough good things about the WL Lite Owl(dbl). I am 6' and 200 lbs, and was able to comfortably sleep on my back and side...with no calf or leg pressure. Real pleased with the flat lay.

The 2QZQ tarp pole and door mods on my sil MacCat Deluxe are definitely worth the added weight to me...especially in cold weather. A plus with the poles, is that I do not need tarp tensioners. Having the pole and the doors gives me a lot more options to set my tarp too. I used a CRL, but had real problems adjusting the prusiks to connect my tarp. Not sure if it was because of the wet and cold? I retied the prusiks to loosen them and still had problems. Not a good thing to happen in the field with cold hands. I am switching back to a single line attachments on both ends.

This was the first time I used whoopies in the field with my suspension. They worked great! I like them a lot.

The MoraKniv Bushcraft Survival knife is a fine knife. Man, it is a sharp knife. I am sending it off tomorrow, to have it fitted with a custom kydex sheath. It was "okay" attached upright on my pack shoulder strap, but I prefer and inverted attachment for easy, quick access. The new sheath with be built for an inverted attachment.

Shug loaned me a Black Rock Gear original hat and I loved it. Little did I know that he was in kahoots with my wife, and I had a new BR Nobul waiting for me when I returned home. A perfect match to my Marmot 850 light weight puff, for our chilly Wisconsin winters.

I did learn that I was not eating enough calories. I gave Shug a bit of a trail scare when I became a little light headed. I culled from a few of my meals and drank a lot of water. It was a good learning moment. You also have to keep on yourself with keeping hydrated during cold treks. Not as natural to remember, as when you are hiking in warmer weather.

Had a bit of a mishap with my DIY gravity filter. Unknown to us, the interior tubing disconnected from the filter and when Shug went to fill his bottle, he had the fastest fill from a gravity filter ever! We chatted out a plan. I emptied the bag and boiled some water in my SP 900. Dipped about 6 inches of the tube in the water a few times, took the now clean end in my mouth and siphoned the boiling water in the full tube about six times. Then poured the remaining boiling water through the bag tubing. So far so good.

I have learned to find a balance between hike-your-own-hike and smart communication. Shug is the more experienced in the piney woods. However, he is very good at soliciting my input with all of our decisions. I do very much appreciate how lucky I am to hike with such a learned fool in Shug. Nothing worse than being pissed off or on, in the piney woods. An over bearing, overeducated or undereducated trail know-it-all can really put a damper on your trail wonder. Discuss, pre-trek, what your bugout plans are in case of an emergency. Shug knows my wishes and I know his. We have discussed various emergency scenarios and worked out a plan to deal with these situations. Most important, always keep an eye out for each other... and with me, it is literally one eye. This will be better explained in the part two video.
    Last edited by Wander'nFool; 10-30-2012 at 21:54.
    "It's a wanderful life."

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY WF! Thanks for the write up and I'll be waiting for part two! THanks for sharing ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Hawk-eye! Your ears should have been ringing a bit during our SHT adventure. A lot of gorge and ARC talk between us. I think Shug just about has me convinced to make a trip out your way. Look forward to learning some carving skills from you.
    "It's a wanderful life."

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    Thanks Hawk-eye! Your ears should have been ringing a bit during our SHT adventure. A lot of gorge and ARC talk between us. I think Shug just about has me convinced to make a trip out your way. Look forward to learning some carving skills from you.
    Awh man WF that'd be great. But Ken's the one with the advanced carving skills! The man is a genius with a carving blade! Heck his carving figures even talk these days! Ha!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Always makes my day a little brighter when I have a new "Shug" video to watch, thanks for putting in all those grueling hours backpacking for our entertainment.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Good stuff Shug, been great to see you get back into the Piney Woods!

Cheers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Wooo!!! Another Shug series! And with Wander'nFool to boot! You guys are a fantastic duo. I especially love Shug vids, I think, because they're not only what got me into hanging, but got me motivated to pursue my childhood dreams of backpacking. Just starting to gear up, and it will probably take me a couple years at least, but man am I freaking excited to get out into the woods. Watching you guys out there, having such a blast, is amazingly inspirational, so I truly appreciate your sharing these with all of us.

Thankee!

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Part 2, Part 2!!! Thanks for taking us along.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Nice to see others concur on the WL hammocks. In the club as well. Prob only one thing coulda made that gatherin a little more stylish... you two in your Hammock Life shirts! They are comin you fellers way very soon! Thanks for sharin yer video!
    They sure are calf-ridge free......we need those shirts in fleece now)))))

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Thanks for another entertaining video Shug. Happy Birthday to WF!! Glad you like our products. 2Q
    Thank you 2Q. We sure had fun with ya'll's monikers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    Thanks all, for the Birthday wishes! This 50 year old still's got a lot of game! The icing on the cake (banana pudding) was backpacking and hammocking on the SHT with a good friend. We tinkered a bit, blistered a bit, froze a little bit and had a lot of laughs.

The section around Pincushion will kick your buttocks, however, it also had some of the best scenery on the trip...excluding the trail along Lake Superior. Walking on the lake shore rocks was like post holing in 6 inches of slushy snow and then you'd come upon ankle wrecking angled boulders. However, we felt real good doing this section of the trail. The views were spectacular! Many folks opt out of the lake walk and take the hwy to the next trailhead.

Very happy to have Shug loan me his winter Yeti. This, along with the 2QZQ uq protector and the JRB Hudson River(L) kept me toasty warm down to 24 degrees, in pretty windy conditions too. Buying a winter uq is definitely my next major gear buy.

Can not say enough good things about the WL Lite Owl(dbl). I am 6' and 200 lbs, and was able to comfortably sleep on my back and side...with no calf or leg pressure. Real pleased with the flat lay.

The 2QZQ tarp pole and door mods on my sil MacCat Deluxe are definitely worth the added weight to me...especially in cold weather. A plus with the poles, is that I do not need tarp tensioners. Having the pole and the doors gives me a lot more options to set my tarp too. I used a CRL, but had real problems adjusting the prusiks to connect my tarp. Not sure if it was because of the wet and cold? I retied the prusiks to loosen them and still had problems. Not a good thing to happen in the field with cold hands. I am switching back to a single line attachments on both ends.

This was the first time I used whoopies in the field with my suspension. They worked great! I like them a lot.

The MoraKniv Bushcraft Survival knife is a fine knife. Man, it is a sharp knife. I am sending it off tomorrow, to have it fitted with a custom kydex sheath. It was "okay" attached upright on my pack shoulder strap, but I prefer and inverted attachment for easy, quick access. The new sheath with be built for an inverted attachment.

Shug loaned me a Black Rock Gear original hat and I loved it. Little did I know that he was in kahoots with my wife, and I had a new BR Nobul waiting for me when I returned home. A perfect match to my Marmot 850 light weight puff, for our chilly Wisconsin winters.

I did learn that I was not eating enough calories. I gave Shug a bit of a trail scare when I became a little light headed. I culled from a few of my meals and drank a lot of water. It was a good learning moment. You also have to keep on yourself with keeping hydrated during cold treks. Not as natural to remember, as when you are hiking in warmer weather.

Had a bit of a mishap with my DIY gravity filter. Unknown to us, the interior tubing disconnected from the filter and when Shug went to fill his bottle, he had the fastest fill from a gravity filter ever! We chatted out a plan. I emptied the bag and boiled some water in my SP 900. Dipped about 6 inches of the tube in the water a few times, took the now clean end in my mouth and siphoned the boiling water in the full tube about six times. Then poured the remaining boiling water through the bag tubing. So far so good.

I have learned to find a balance between hike-your-own-hike and smart communication. Shug is the more experienced in the piney woods. However, he is very good at soliciting my input with all of our decisions. I do very much appreciate how lucky I am to hike with such a learned fool in Shug. Nothing worse than being pissed off or on, in the piney woods. An over bearing, overeducated or undereducated trail know-it-all can really put a damper on your trail wonder. Discuss, pre-trek, what your bugout plans are in case of an emergency. Shug knows my wishes and I know his. We have discussed various emergency scenarios and worked out a plan to deal with these situations. Most important, always keep an eye out for each other... and with me, it is literally one eye. This will be better explained in the part two video.
    Well put my fellow fool. I shed some Man-Tears there.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Always makes my day a little brighter when I have a new "Shug" video to watch, thanks for putting in all those grueling hours backpacking for our entertainment.
    Yes....grueling but a fellers gotta do what a fellers gotta do for the masses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Good stuff Shug, been great to see you get back into the Piney Woods!

Cheers
    Even better for me. I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Wooo!!! Another Shug series! And with Wander'nFool to boot! You guys are a fantastic duo. I especially love Shug vids, I think, because they're not only what got me into hanging, but got me motivated to pursue my childhood dreams of backpacking. Just starting to gear up, and it will probably take me a couple years at least, but man am I freaking excited to get out into the woods. Watching you guys out there, having such a blast, is amazingly inspirational, so I truly appreciate your sharing these with all of us.

Thankee!
    You just made my day with that. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg View Post
    Part 2, Part 2!!! Thanks for taking us along.
    Uploading currently. Y'elcome and thanks.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast