Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap

Which Clark is best for tall user?

6'5" x 260 and looking for a hammock with attached net, capable of ground bivy without too much fuss, and nightime temp range from 30F to 80F. Mostly in the 50-70F range. Often with high heat/humidty & or cold wind (Great Lakes). No previous hammock experience so I need to be able to return it if it doesn't "fit". Tried the WBBB with high hopes, but that center ridge was enough of a factor that I could not sleep comfortably. Close but no cigar. Hoping Switchback 1.9 Dbl is the answer but not sure a 10' hammock will work. Next move would be into a Clark ($$$ yikes). Tropical with over cover? NX250? Willing to spend money for right setup but, I'm not a lottery winner.
    Been camping in the backcountry for 40 years. Have enough ground gear to open my own retail outlet. Tired and sore with life on the ground. Thought hammock was the way to go but don't want it to be an endless search for "the one". Any first hand help out there? "Big" (tall!!) Individuals first hand experience? Thanks much!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I am 6'5" but only weigh in at about 200#. The NX250 is plenty long and comfortable for me. The lack of a center ridge means I can lay right down the center so I don't feel me feet are crowded by the tapering ends.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well, it sounds like the big issue here is your size.

Heat/humidity and cold wind are addressed in an hammock with either insulation and wind blocking layers (tarp, sock, or over/undercovers) or the lack thereof. All hammocks can be set up as a ground bivy with an appropriate tarp and groundsheet (trust me, even the heaviest hammocks have fragile enough fabric that you don't want to snag it on a root or rock)--a good poncho works just fine.

Most folks find that an hammock that is approximately 4' longer than they are is the most comfortable. For you, that would be 10'5". Honestly, I'd take a look at some of the 11' hammocks out there. The only place that I know of that sells 11' hammocks with an integral bug net is our very own Papa Smurf's workshop, Dream Hammock; he has several different offerings that might suit you. Both Butt In A Sling (BIAS) and Wilderness Logics carry some eleven-footers without nets, though.

Are you DIY-capable? If so, putting together an hammock is pretty easy, and will run you ~$40 to $70 for all materials, including the bug net. I did this with mine, and it's the most comfortable sleep I've gotten yet.

As to staying warm in the cold, especially in the wind, there are various ways of skinning that cat. It really depends on how much money you want to throw at the problem, and how much weight you're willing to carry.

Staying cool, on the other hand, is pretty easy; just vent your top quilt and underquilt. I'm able to sleep in ~80*F+ heat down here in FL, with 100% humidity, simply by omitting any kind of under insulation, pushing my top quilt off of me, and setting up to catch whatever breeze might be blowing. The ability of your body to lose heat when it's not trying to stay upright and is surrounded by moving air is impressive.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    For your size, you'll need one of Clark's longer hammocks, but even that might not be enough. Their longest hammocks are only nine ft long, according to the chart on their website. I have one of their NX-200, but they don't sell that anymore, you have to go with the NX-250. They are good, but those poles, for me, have a tendency to break. There are plenty of 11 ft hammocks on the market, example would be the Dream hammocks:
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/Hammocks.html
    All the models are available in 10 ft or 11 ft. For you, I'd recommend an 11 ft, plus get one with a zipper on each side instead of only one side. That way, if one side stretches out a little, you can even it out by going in from the opposite side. At your weight, that could become a problem. I'd also recommend a double layer hammock, but if you plan on only using under quilts (as opposed to a sleeping pad), you might not need the 2nd layer.

There are other hammock builders out there that have 11 ft models, I'm just familiar with Dream Hammocks. If you want to save money, the ENO DoubleNest might meet your needs. You'll need a separate bug net to go with it. They're cheap enough (about $60?) that if hammocking doesn't work for you, you haven't invested quite so much money.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    I'm 6'1 - 250#, and find the NX250 very comfortable.

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    I sure appreciate the feedback especially from passinthru since it's first hand info from another tall guy. I really want to stay with a design that transfers to the ground well before moving to an 11' model, all of which have design elements I'd rather not deal with if it can be avoided. The Switchback arrived yesterday and I've spent a couple hours so far trying to find the right hang. Very close but could be better, but I haven't given up yet and will continue to tweak it. The center ridge is minimal (compared to the BB) but a bit more room is needed. I sure like the design although I would likelely get the 2QZQ zipper mod if I decide to keep it. I've got to start somewhere if I'm doin' this. If not, the NX250 will be my last opportunity to find one that has the design elements I'm after, and hope it's flat enough for my height. Cost was an issue but I guess it's a good value when you factor in all the features it offers. I have some real challenges with my knees (arthritis) so even slight hyper extension causes discomfort that prevents sleep. Putting rolled clothing under knees helps, but I'm still pushing the limits of the SB width and know my feet will likely be up against the net (bug food!) at times. Another six inches of length would be ideal. The NX250 would need to be very flat considering it's dimensions. Not sure if I'd move to an 11' with seperate net. I know I would likely not go with a Dangerbird 72 (I'm sure it's a great hammock) because of the ground setup (goo gobs of fabric). More likely to do the sperate bug net and bivy under the tarp on a ground cloth/pad combo. Or.........step back and re-think the whole hammock idea. Maybe something new will pop up in 2013. Any other big/tall hangers out there using the NX250? your feedback sure is helpful. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Which Clark is best........

Cdesmet,

Got your PM. Here's a couple of photos of the Flex. Again, I'm 6 ft tall. In both photos, I could have pulled myself further toward the head of the hammock leaving more footroom.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Even though I am comfortable in the NX250, I can't really say that it gives a flat lay. I can sleep on my side but not fully flat. I have never tried a bridge style hammock but that may be something to consider. I see that the Warbonnet bridge hammock fits up to 6'6" and 250# and they have a good return policy. I like the additional features of the Clark but someday may try a bridge. It seems that an underquilt would be easy to fit to a bridge type hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It sounds like you should try a cheap, long hammock to see If you're comfortable in it. Most of the cottage vendors could do a mod to make It work on the ground.
    You might try a Grand Trunk or Kammok, as they are both longer than an ENO and more comfortable. It you like either of those, then it wouldn't be much to move up to a DangerBird 72. Randy could probably install a couple of netting loops for you, similar to what's on a DD Hammock (available in the UK), which holds the netting/OC off your face.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=49696

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55595

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    Day 3 of fiddlin' with the Switchback. Still can't rid it completely of the knee hyper extension without putting a stuff sack under my knees. Took a two hour nap on my side so I'm comfortable enough to understand the hammock attraction (woo-hoo!). I started with a 30* hang angle (roughly) and have flattened it gradually from there. Ended up at 20* or so. I measured the "ridge line" length at the most comfortable setting so far and it's about 108". A little more length and additional diaginal and I think I'd be there. Seems like a move to an 11' hammock and another 6" of width will be the ticket. Don't feel I would need a 72" when a 58 or 60 will do. What disappoints me is I don't think there is much choice for a universal "hang or ground" design for guys size 2XLT and above. The Clark, Claytor, and Switchback are the best offerings in that design type. Everything else is pretty fussy when going to the ground. Separate net (BIAS or WL) is probably best for ground, but fussy for hang. Dangerbird is designed for hang, but not for ground (plus potential damage to hammock fabric). Obviously I'm using pad based insulation (need for ground) so UQ's though nice, can't replace the pad. A bridge hammock is a good option but......it's that 2XLT thing again. The Switchback is such a great design, I'm not ready to give up yet. I'll try spending the night in it and see what happens. I don't think the NX250 is going to feel any bigger. Seems like there is an obvious market for longer hammocks in the hang/ground style that's not being addressed. They seem to be getting very popular in the hang only variety, but the market appears to be driven by backpackers who are much more weight conscious than those of us who don't/can't hike but still spend a lot of time outdoors camping via paddle, peddle, saddle, ski. A small light shelter is still necessary, but not "weight weenies". I really appreciate all of the insight you have given. Thanks much and........push for more hang/ground design choices for the big & tall!! We're a "growing" market segment! Get outside!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast