Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pommychris View Post
    its a little different to the flex, i put two doors on it instead of one and both beds are the same size.
    Nicely done!

Let me know when you sell stock.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    Thanks guys! it was very much a labour of love it took about three weeks of late nights to get done! sorry JPC Its probably gonna be the only one, I will try and write it up in the DIY section however I didnt really document the construction process at all, so it might be a little lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by pommychris View Post
    Thanks guys! it was very much a labour of love it took about three weeks of late nights to get done! sorry JPC Its probably gonna be the only one, I will try and write it up in the DIY section however I didnt really document the construction process at all, so it might be a little lacking.
    I actually meant when you form your own corporation and sell stock in the corporation.

Flex interior

First, very much appreciate the pics and post. I'm definitely intrigued by this hammock. Next time you're out, any chance you could post a pic or two of the interior? It's hard to tell from the current pics, but I'm interested in seeing how/where the gear goes. I absolutely love the idea behind this hammock. I was just out in my NX-250 and while lying there thought, "it'd be great if there was a small side to this to put all my crap."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hubble View Post
    I own a Clark Flex 180 and absolutely love this hammock. It is very comfortable and roomy especially when there are (3) trees to hang it from. The problem becomes finding (3) trees that just happen to have the correct distance apart. Therefore I modified mine to incorporate an aluminum spreader bar that is used on the end that normally attaches to (2) trees so that it only requires (1) tree. This opens the interior to its full potential and comfort. In addition, I got tired of waiting for Clark to release an UQ and decided to purchase a JRB Mt Washington 3 UQ. As it turns out, the quilt fit the hammock almost perfectly with a few extra tie downs. Used it this past weekend on the AT and temperatures got down into the lower 30's and I was very warm. I think most of the mods are fairly self explanatory and can be seen in the below pictures and video. Happy to answer any question anyone may have regarding the setup.
    Video of mods during my trip last weekend.
    http://youtu.be/ouc9wSwx20s

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Update: Last night it got down to 22 Deg F and we had a heavy frost so I gave my final setup another test run in the front yard. Since my original post on this thread, I picked up a JRB BMBH and found that the spreader bars that it comes with worked perfectly on my Flex 180. In addition to the UQ (mt wash 3), I was using a mt hardware Pinole 20 deg bag as a TQ. Aside from my feet getting rather cold, my body stayed warm. I did notice that if I shifted from one side of the hammock to the other during the night that it took about 10 min to re-build my upper body warmth. My UQ and TQ have roughly the same temperature rating but given that my back stayed warm and my feet didn't, I would assume that I am at the limits of my sleeping bag. All in all this is a great setup and I now know that I can make it through a sub-freezing night. Perhaps a new TQ is on the wish list, but then again, how often will we experience temperatures on the trail in Va below 22F? BTW, though I've only slept 2 nights in my new BMBH and admittedly am still working out the kinks, my Flex 180 is still my favorite. You just can't beat the number of different sleeping positions it offers and the extra protection it provides from the wind during the night.
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

Update: Last night it got down to 22 Deg F and we had a heavy frost so I gave my final setup another test run in the front yard. Since my original post on this thread, I picked up a JRB BMBH and found that the spreader bars that it comes with worked perfectly on my Flex 180. In addition to the UQ (mt wash 3), I was using a mt hardware Pinole 20 deg bag as a TQ. Aside from my feet getting rather cold, my body stayed warm. I did notice that if I shifted from one side of the hammock to the other during the night that it took about 10 min to re-build my upper body warmth. My UQ and TQ have roughly the same temperature rating but given that my back stayed warm and my feet didn't, I would assume that I am at the limits of my sleeping bag. All in all this is a great setup and I now know that I can make it through a sub-freezing night. Perhaps a new TQ is on the wish list, but then again, how often will we experience temperatures on the trail in Va below 22F? BTW, though I've only slept 2 nights in my new BMBH and admittedly am still working out the kinks, my Flex 180 is still my favorite. You just can't beat the number of different sleeping positions it offers and the extra protection it provides from the wind during the night.
    Can you provide the measurements of the bars? Maybe I can pick up some thing similar at Home Depot. Any new pics of these bars?

You now have a Flex 180 and JRB BMBH? How do you use both?

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I picked up my DIY spreader bar from Lowe's. It was a 36" long, 3/4" OD, extruded aluminum tube. It was in the same section that you find angle, flat bar, round stock, etc. I cut it down to 31" and cut grooves in each end to mate with the stainless rings that I picked up on the hardware isle. My JRB spreader bar is about an inch longer and I really can't tell the difference from the inside. Only downside to the one I made is that it was a solid piece and it was always catching on limbs on the trail. Never could find an economical and strong solution to making it a two piece design. Sorry don't have any pics of the JRB bar in use just yet but will upload when I do...

Well I must admit that I am blessed to have a wife that enjoys hiking so the BMBH is actually hers. Couldn't resist the 20% off sale they had a few weeks ago.
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

I picked up my DIY spreader bar from Lowe's. It was a 36" long, 3/4" OD, extruded aluminum tube. It was in the same section that you find angle, flat bar, round stock, etc. I cut it down to 31" and cut grooves in each end to mate with the stainless rings that I picked up on the hardware isle. My JRB spreader bar is about an inch longer and I really can't tell the difference from the inside. Only downside to the one I made is that it was a solid piece and it was always catching on limbs on the trail. Never could find an economical and strong solution to making it a two piece design. Sorry don't have any pics of the JRB bar in use just yet but will upload when I do...

Well I must admit that I am blessed to have a wife that enjoys hiking so the BMBH is actually hers. Couldn't resist the 20% off sale they had a few weeks ago.
    Don't want to wear put my welcome but if you still have the receipt for the car and rings, let me know what the product code (upc?) is on the receipt. Thanks.

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Your spreader bar modification

Keith,
    Does your spreader bar modification, with the spreader bar end of the hammock attached to one tree, make the hammock uncomfortably tippy
    while sleeping or while entering/exiting it? I toss and turn a fair bit
    in a hammock. Thanks!

Tony

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    DIY straps & cinch
    I have been in love with my NX-150 since the first trip 4 years ago, but wanted to try to get my wife started hanging with me. She has done several long AT hikes, but we have always used my tent for those trips. The Flex 180 looked like it could be the perfect solution, double up when I need, but not as large & cumbersome as the Vertex.

Just wondering if the 180 is really OK for two (small to medium) adults. When my best hiking buddy (wife!) is not along, I am sure my Brittany would love it, rather than underneath my NX-150.

I did call Clark today, asking if the pockets of the 150 were available as an option, or even special order; but no, not at this time. They did say that if enough people ask for it, that they would definitely re-engineer to include the underneath pockets. If I do change over, those would definitely be missed!! I have slept very comfortably in my 150 and a 30deg bag at 22 degrees, with the shell partly open. Kinda worried about needing UQ without.

Would definitely appreciate more info on two-up hanging in the 180!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast