Thread: whoopie slings?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies

whoopie slings?

ive got an eno dn, and i love it! but i was wondering about these whoopie slings i keep hearing about. i mean are they really that great? and should i get them?

keep in mind that im 125 lbs and the slap straps pro dont even stretch on me overnight. Im not worried about weight either.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    The woopie slings makes adjustments very fast and easy and they are fun to make. Also as Shug said "its fun to say", but there are many other options from knotts to gear. I have woopies, but I like to tie knotts. Maybe thanks why I'm on my second marriage.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    da da ti! anyways i like the Atlas straps really. one of my buddies keeps telling me i need to get the whoopies, maybe he too just likes to say it!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    The woopie slings makes adjustments very fast and easy and they are fun to make. Also as Shug said "its fun to say", but there are many other options from knotts to gear. I have woopies, but I like to tie knotts. Maybe thanks why I'm on my second marriage.
    What he said, but seriously I chose whoopie sling for weight savings. I say choose whatever system works best for you. Thats the best thing about all this hammock stuff is that it is so modular that you can create your own rig.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    so no cons to the whoopie slings tho?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffythecat87 View Post
    so no cons to the whoopie slings tho?
    On wet, freezing nights they can freeze up. But the answer to that is to keep them in a small sandwich bag in you pocket and make all your adjustments as soon as you set up.

I love my whoopies (that's fun to say too). I was recently experimenting with a new suspension that had strap buckles and I abandoned it because I just couldn't deal with those buckles. My original hammock that I bought years ago had buckles and I soon switched to whoopie slings.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    At first i didnt like the whoppie slings on the DN and was kinda pissed I bought into the hype. I was used to the short rope of the original suspension connected to tree straps with stock carabiner and a marlin spike hitch .

I was about to take the whoopies off and order some chain links but instead went out for a day in the woods and played around with the whoopies and now I am hooked. They are much easier to adjust for different tree distances, heights and pitch. Upgraded the stock carabiners to Camp Nano's which are a bit lighter and easier (for me) to use.

My only complaint about whoopies, and it is minor, is that I find I need to use trees that are farther apart with the whoopies than with the original rope suspension and tree straps. For example with stock suspension I could get away with trees that are about 12 feet apart, but with the additional length of the whoopies the trees have to be a minimum of 15 feet part. Not a big deal but worth mentioning, of course it may all be in my head.

Got my whoopies with tree straps and toggles from Arrowhead equipment...they have a combo pack that I thought was reasonably priced.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffythecat87 View Post
    ive got an eno dn, and i love it! but i was wondering about these whoopie slings i keep hearing about. i mean are they really that great? and should i get them?

keep in mind that im 125 lbs and the slap straps pro dont even stretch on me overnight. Im not worried about weight either.
    Whoopies are cool. Fun to make and fascinating to play with. Not necessary at all though.

They do make quick adjustments easy if it's not so cold that you hands are frozen. They do require more room between trees.

When I make hammocks for people who don't care about weight, I use straps and descender rings.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've tried several other suspensions, but I love the whoopies over them all. All my hammocks have whoopies. Adjustments are quick and easy. If you decide you want your head end just a bit lower....no problem, 1/2 a second and its done.

I think the easiest set up for someone that's new would probably be straps and buckles, but like I said, I've tried those and I went back to my whoopies.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I started with webbing & rings, went to whoopies, then went with the combo platter. My trees in the back yard are so close together that whoopies are hard to use, so I use straps there and keep them on my rig. If I need more length for trees farther apart, I keep a set of whoopies with me that can be attached in just a few seconds, and the webbing used as just tree straps.

Fluffy, you'll have plenty of setups to see this weekend at the group hang. I'd be glad to show you how mine is set up, though I certainly do not claim to be a master at this. I'm you will see many variations with the size group we have coming. Looking forward to meeting you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast