Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Cons:
    They do not compress as well as down. I also put the quilt in the bottom of my pack and fill it, letting the other gear compress it as far as needed.
    While Climashield is cheaper, I'm sure it will not last (loft) as long as down does. How long will it last? I don't know....
    How is your loft holding up so far? Can you notice any significant loss?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    How well would it work to put either of these quilts in a separate sil dry sack and strap to the outside of the pack? Or would that mess up the way the packs carry? Since at the moment I still use my large McHale pack( 5 lbs) I never have this problem of room. But I am always considering dropping to a lighter pack.
    Putting outside should work. I would recommend strapping to the top or bottom of the pack.
    I have a Golite Pinnacle pack (4100 cu inches, I think) and don't have any trouble with fitting my gear. Of course, it all depends what else is coming along...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    How is your loft holding up so far? Can you notice any significant loss?
    I can't say...my first quilt is only 2 months old!
    I have read about others who don't compress more than needed and store at full loft using for 2-3 years without loss of loft. My guess is "Individual Results Will Vary"
    But at the cost for a down TQ/UQ, I'll see how these work
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I forgot to add that the insulating material in the Ray Way is rather aggressive at “re lofting”. Ray suggests making the stuff sack as big (Bigger) as the pack & just compressing the stiff as you put other items in your pack. Nope, I couldn’t do that. Well, I could have with about 2 other people helping me hold it in the pack. I found it easier to make the stuff sack the size I needed the packed quilt to be & living with the loft lost by being “too compressed”. Bear in mind that my quilt is rarely in it’s stuff sack more than about 24 hrs at a time, if that long, as I use it 2 of every 3 nights, so your mileage may vary. And, the first thing I do when I decide on a camp is set up the hammock & pull out the quilts to fluff up.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

BB58,
    Lots of light packs have adequate space to put the RW quilt inside. hanging stuff outside is rarely adequate.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I had made several Climashield quilts a while back. They're not RW quilts, but I figured I'd offer the info about sack size for them.

The stuff sacks I made for them are roughly 8" x 18" or so.
    They are not packed super tight in there.

I haven't really noticed any problems with the insulation so far, but I usually un-stuff ASAP. I haven't used mine a whole lot yet, but I can tell that the insulation will eventually compress or whatever, as all synthetic does.

I also have to add that IMO it's not as warm as down. It'll do in many circumstances though!
    I think it's an affordable option to down, but a short term option.

Perkolady

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I don't think I would define the thru-hiker materials as a "kit". You are getting the raw materials and down and it's up to you to do your homework to figure our your own layout. There is no pattern supplied. Luckily, it's not that difficult thanks to many who have gone before us and have been good enough to post good directions. Mine came out great, but like I said, you are really just getting the materials if you go the TH route.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I made a Ray Way and an underquilt using Climashield 3D. The insulation for the Ray Way was loftier and softer than the Climashield, and it compresses better. I wish I knew what the Jardines use and where to get it.

I love the warmth of the Ray Way. I made a stuff sack per instructions and find that it's no sweat to pack the quilt and stuff it into the bottom of the pack, then jam stuff in around it. I got my hammock stuffed around it plus straps and long underwear.

Images
    When I made my synthetic underquilt, I briefly thought about ordering a Ray-Way, but the ramblings on the Ray-way site, particularly the stuff about the integrity paradigm, completely turned me off.

I ordered Momentum-90 and Climashield XP from thru-hiker instead. Before I made the quilt, Paul from thru-hiker talked to me for a long time and gave me many tips and advice on how to make the quilt. I was quite pleased with the result. The Momentum-90 from thru-hiker is really nice, well worth the extra money IMO, particularly if you consider the amount of time you spend making the quilt. I have found the temperature rating of 20 F for the 5osy XP to be accurate as well.

The Climashield does not compress so well. It took up a lot of space in my pack. I have since made some down quilts for that reason. If you are concerned about the compression, why not make a down quilt? It is not near as hard or messy as many websites suggest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I made a Ray Way and an underquilt using Climashield 3D. The insulation for the Ray Way was loftier and softer than the Climashield, and it compresses better. I wish I knew what the Jardines use and where to get it.

I love the warmth of the Ray Way. I made a stuff sack per instructions and find that it's no sweat to pack the quilt and stuff it into the bottom of the pack, then jam stuff in around it. I got my hammock stuffed around it plus straps and long underwear.
    Do you mean Polarguard(SP?) 3D? So the Ray Way compressed better than the PG3D? I believe the current Ray Way's were Climashield.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22