Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Educate me on Frost

So the other night I started out in my hammock in the back yard to test my new triangle thingies that hold my underquilt. It got down to 34 degrees. Around 2:30 in the morning I woke up and needed to pee, so went inside and ended up going to sleep in my bed.

When I went back out in the morning to collect my down sleeping bag and down underquilt, they both had frost on them (as did the grass, the roof, etc.). So my questions are:

1.) Why did frost form on my sleeping bag and quilt?

2.) If I had stayed in the hammock all night would my body warmth have kept the frost from forming on them?

I don't want my down bags getting wet from frost, and it wouldn't always be convenient to wait to get on the trail until the frost is melted. I wouldn't want to put wet down in a backpack, you know?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Did you have a tarp up? That should prevent frost from collecting on your gear. Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you used a pad under your feet and had the pad under your TQ...then you may have created a vapor barrier thus frost. It happened to me a good bit.
    Started putting my pad in my TQ and never had it again.
    Skeeter net closed keeps in condensation as well.
    How many socks did you wear?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Did you have a tarp up? That should prevent frost from collecting on your gear. Just my $.02.
    +1

At that temp, frost shouldnt form if you were in the bag. Moisture will however. A tarp is usually enough to keep the dew (and frost) from forming for the most part.

Anytime its cold, moisture will form in/on the bag from you. Its not usually a big deal unless your out in the cold for a long trip.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

No tarp

I did NOT have the tarp over the hammock. I will make sure to put it up from now on.

I was only wearing one pair of wool socks and didn't have a pad.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    There was a thread on this topic quite some time back. I can't find that now, or I may be searching for it wrong. My understanding of it all is that since it was coming up from under you also, that you didn't have a "welcome mat" placed under you. With a tarp over and a ground cover under, and if your not huffing and puffing in there creating a bunch of your own vapor, then you should be fine.

There something about the moisture also rising from the grass and greenery under you. Just don't know how to explain the science. I'll let one of our many brain children elaborate on that

Images
    Frost, like dew and condensation, can be really tricky, particularly ( for me so far ) in an open, exposed, grassy back yard.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6377

About 1030PM I put a hot water bottle in my hammock. I noticed that the underside of the tarp and outside of the UQ had a heavy layer of frost on them already. About 11pm I sacked it at about 22*F with a forecast for 15*. I accidentally got my jacket a little damp on the back by contacting the frost on the under side of the tarp, and caused it to "snow" a little into the hammock as I knocked some frost loose.
    This was a heavy frost that formed on my quilts and inside and outside of the tarp during the evening while I was inside the house- with gear already hung outside and ready to test at bedtime. Even inside the hammock had frost where it was not covered by the TQ. The picture is the next morning after my body heat had dried much of the frost, but you can still see some inside the hammock. I have had the same thing happen numerous times with dew/condensation rather than frost, even if I was not in the hammock, soaking the inside of my tarp and maybe the UQ shell. The good news is that it mostly seems to stay on the shell and not so much getting into the down ( though that might be a problem if you have to pack up wet) and also this has never happened to me in the woods.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-31-2012 at 17:06.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    O no! Your supposed to face away from the hammock when watering the grass

Hammock
    BIAS Camper; WL Sniper; DIY channel
    Tarp
    tarpless
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    you name it
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodaking View Post
    O no! Your supposed to face away from the hammock when watering the grass
    Maybe there wasn't a sign.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    There was a thread on this topic quite some time back. I can't find that now, or I may be searching for it wrong. My understanding of it all is that since it was coming up from under you also, that you didn't have a "welcome mat" placed under you. With a tarp over and a ground cover under, and if your not huffing and puffing in there creating a bunch of your own vapor, then you should be fine.

There something about the moisture also rising from the grass and greenery under you. Just don't know how to explain the science. I'll let one of our many brain children elaborate on that
    Hmmmmm. Maybe a ground cover would prove useful? I have always figured matters were made worse by how wet the ground and grass are in the winter under where I hang. Then again, when the ground is frozen solid? Still worth a try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast