Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Polyester Fabric?

I am looking for polyester fabric (like lots of us are) for a bridge hammock. I found this http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...-Olive-Taffeta and was wondering if anybody had experience with it. I called for a specific weight. The lady said "lightweight" was their only description. Are there other more reliable sources for polyester fabric in the 1.9 to 2.2 oz. range out there?
    Thanks for any help.

Mike

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It might be a tad heavier than you want. There are essentially three "weights" that are used in the retail trade- Top weight, Dress weight, and bottom weight. Bear in mind that garment stitchers and quilters don't really care about the actual weight of fabric. Top weight is used for blouses, shirts and "top" garments. It is usually light, soft and sometimes some what sheer. After all, camisoles and fancy lingerie is fashionable now so a bit of a peek is not scandalous.

The next step up is dress weight. Heavier than top weight, it is a more substantial fabric because a skirt is subject to more wear and tear than just a blouse. Combining the two into one garment, you can want to use a more substantial fabric but still have it soft and drape nicely.

Bottom weight is the more substantial. Intended for slacks, trousers and longer skirts it needs to stand up to more abuse. It is more opaque and a heavier denser weave.

Without knowing the actual weight of the fabric it is hard to predict what it might be. But I would guess it to be the middle category. I usually advocate for top weight polyester taffeta. But this might be good if weight is not a crucial issue or if you are wanting to do single layer hammock for a bigger guy.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by gibmo View Post
    I am looking for polyester fabric (like lots of us are) for a bridge hammock. I found this http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...-Olive-Taffeta and was wondering if anybody had experience with it. I called for a specific weight. The lady said "lightweight" was their only description. Are there other more reliable sources for polyester fabric in the 1.9 to 2.2 oz. range out there?
    Thanks for any help.

Mike
    Im new to DIY hammocks, but why do you want poly over nylon?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    Im new to DIY hammocks, but why do you want poly over nylon?
    I prefer polyester over nylon because of a comfort factor. I like the feel of polyester better. Nylon always ends up making be feel clammy. Nylon can be a little lighter but I'm not a gram weenie so it's not that important to me. The ripstop threads in ripstop nylon are way over rated IMO. I can rip light ripstop with my hands once the selvage is compromised so I don't put much stock in an added "safety" factor.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The "blanks", whether in polyester crinkle or other fabric from such as the table-cloth factory are a convenient way to buy fabric. Not expensive, a great variety of colors, and known by so many DIY makers to be suitable for hammocks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    This is an opportune time to thank the Ramblinrev for all of his input on all things regarding fabric and thread injecting. Thanks rev.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    This is an opportune time to thank the Ramblinrev for all of his input on all things regarding fabric and thread injecting. Thanks rev.
    Rev is good peeps. +1... Thanks for all you've done for me and the community here!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    #1! He's spot on about thread, and sewing....OOOPS!, er, I meant thread injector adjusting.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Thanks for the feedback. I ditto Olddog on Ramblinrev's knowledge. I suppose I could order a sample and if it didn't work for a hammock I could make a dress out of it since it is described as suitable for dresses, but I don't look that good in a dress.
    I wanted to try polyester for the low stretch.
    Thanks again. I'll keep hunting.

Interesting to me that you chose another type of fabric, because I am just finishing up a bridge hammock made with an acrylic/polyester blend called Sunbrella plus. This fabric is heavy and I use it to create boat covers. I like the feel of the finished surface, but I plan on placing 1/2 inch ccf between me and the fabric anyway.

I do not like nylon products because of their weakness in strength, the ease of puncture, and the fact that sunlight breaks it down rapidly. This hammock is not for ultralight camping, rather it is made from materials that will not fail easily. For example, my spreader bars have 5/32 SS wire and the spreader bars themselves are 1 inch aluminum tubing. There are 4 spreader bars, two are sewn into the bottom of the fabric and are not removable.

It might be overkill, but I sewed 5 bands of 3/4 inch flat webbing along the hammock to create a backup grid in case even the Sunbrella fails. I plan to locate the CCF with snaps for ease of removal and to prevent shift.

• + New Posts