Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I've just switched to DIY Gear Supply's 1.2mm Tech line for now. It saved .6oz off of my old set up.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    An update:

I have been using the 1.2mm techline from DIY Gear Supply. I love it minus the visibility. I think I'm going to try the orange G-Line and use a similar method to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention how I use it......

I made a continuous loop out of the 1.2 tech line and prussic wrapped it on the G-Line and then larks-headed the 1.2 to my tarp tie out. On one end of the G-Line I tied a bowline and on the other just a stopper knot. Attach the loop to my stake and then tighten the line via the prussic.
    I have some dyneema fishing line coming in that is like .55mm or something for the prussik knots. Between you, SGT Rock, and a few others this seems to be the lightest and easiest to adjust without going "stupid light."
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Check out www.basspro.com for their fishing lines that might interest you. I use a yellow braid for trolling and have never had to change line on my spools for 3 yrs now and you cannot break 30lb test with your hands. However,,its not reflective and that is not to say I have never checked for reflective fishing line other than monofiliament. I use power pro on my reels. Comes in yellow and its spectra.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...d+fishing+line
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly Guy!
    Insulation
    Pad/UQ Depending
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Ti's
    Do you guys get Marlows throw line?

1.6gms per meter, 1.5mm diameter and a whopping 300kg breaking strain. Just picked up 50 meters for next to nothing (compared to the same length in zing-it).

http://www.forestandarb.com/marlow_d...throwline.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    I use Speers No Tangle. Light, bright, and doesn't tangle. I tie to the tie outs and then tie plastic figure 9 's to my stake. Pull the line taut through the figure 9's and fasten. Works great. Very easy to go from porch to storm mode in this configuration.

I have been using this for four years and haven't looked back.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Check out www.basspro.com for their fishing lines that might interest you. I use a yellow braid for trolling and have never had to change line on my spools for 3 yrs now and you cannot break 30lb test with your hands. However,,its not reflective and that is not to say I have never checked for reflective fishing line other than monofiliament. I use power pro on my reels. Comes in yellow and its spectra.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...d+fishing+line
    I'll keep this in mind. I'm sure reflective is out for now. I'm into light, strong, and visible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski View Post

1.6gms per meter, 1.5mm diameter and a whopping 300kg breaking strain. Just picked up 50 meters for next to nothing (compared to the same length in zing-it).

I have never seen that before, but I like the look of that for bear bagging. I do use a 1.4mm dyneema cord for bear bagging, but I'm looking for somwthing smaller than 1.2mm for my guy lines. The LiteTrail G-Line is what I'm looking at now as it meets 95% of my specs. It is strong, visible, and light (0.0088oz (.25g) per foot). If it reflected the light, it be perfect. Since the G-Line is twice as light as the 1.5mm Marlows line, I'll probably order it next pay check. However, the cost on the Marlows line will be very influential next time my buddies go looking for cord to bear bag with. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    I use Speers No Tangle. Light, bright, and doesn't tangle. I tie to the tie outs and then tie plastic figure 9 's to my stake. Pull the line taut through the figure 9's and fasten. Works great. Very easy to go from porch to storm mode in this configuration.

I have been using this for four years and haven't looked back.
    Thanks for your willingness to chime in. That sounds like a convenient set up, but I'm a little less interested in convenience on most things and more interested in weight savings (not all things mind you...I did switch to a slightly heavier cook kit (1.5oz more ) so I could have a more efficient stove and have the option to use wood).

The figure 9s are great at really locking down the line. I think the Speer stuff is ~1.5mm. It probably works very well with the figure 9s. I used to use line locks (rather than the figure 9s) but I think that the prussiks will do me just fine at ~.125g each vs. 3.6g for each small figure 9.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have never seen that before, but I like the look of that for bear bagging. I do use a 1.4mm dyneema cord for bear bagging, but I'm looking for somwthing smaller than 1.2mm for my guy lines. The LiteTrail G-Line is what I'm looking at now as it meets 95% of my specs. It is strong, visible, and light (0.0088oz (.25g) per foot). If it reflected the light, it be perfect. Since the G-Line is twice as light as the 1.5mm Marlows line, I'll probably order it next pay check. However, the cost on the Marlows line will be very influential next time my buddies go looking for cord to bear bag with. Thanks for the heads up.[/quote]

The G-line is what I am using on my superfly. I like it a lot. It is easy to see and to use. I will get pictures this weekend when I am out with the scouts.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    The G-line is what I am using on my superfly. I like it a lot. It is easy to see and to use. I will get pictures this weekend when I am out with the scouts.
    That would be great. I'd love to see the G-Line in action.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I switched to the EZC 2 line for winter and love it. I really like that it's reflective and although it's heaver - It isn't slippery like most cord and it holds knots better. I do not bring tent stakes in winter because I just tie knots with deadman anchors instead.

Fronkey

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski View Post

I don't believe the breaking strength(bs) numbers 300kg =675lb or that the most expensive Dyneema, SK90, is being used. Who is going to check these claims for throw rope, which if broken will likely have it happen when it is snagged and yanked? It seems Marlows is following the practice of other companies doing the same with throw line. It is likely the same stuff as Stein Safety throw line. It is also stronger than needed for tarp lines.

As to size: Other line of the same wt per length, such as Yale Ultrex, has a greater nominal size, 1.8-2mm. So this may not pack as small as implied, for those who care.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast