Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Advantages and disadvantages of a TQ

I am ready to buy my first TQ but before I do I would like to understand them better, could you folks give me some information.

Ok I have never used a TQ, could someone please give me some advantages and disadvantages of switching from a sleeping bag to a top quilt?

I would like to understand them a little better before shelling out the money for one and finding out its not really right for me.

Ok more info
    I am using a hennessy hyperlite with HH supershelter and if needed an HH top cover
    Last edited by bmwrider; 11-01-2012 at 23:38.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Ok so this is what I think so far from reading and watching vids on TQ, now I expect I may have some of these wrong due to the fact I have not used one.

Advantages
    1.lighter than same fill sleeping bag
    2.less bulk
    3.more arm room
    4.easier to move around in.
    5.more comfort due to blanket style insulation just like at home.

don't have any more cuz I haven't used one yet, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Disadvantages
    1.more drafty compared to a mummy bag and my not be warm for everyone.
    2.not EN rated
    3.cost just as much as a full mummy bag
    4.not made by major manufactures, no warranty
    5.could be hard to keep tucked in for a toss and turn sleeper
    6.no high tech chambers like the big sleeping bag manufactures use
    This is what I think could be the case

So would everone here say that a sleeping bag has no advantages in a hammock over a TQ?
    I can accept that if it is the case.
    Last edited by bmwrider; 11-01-2012 at 23:37.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i think your logic is wrong. your advantages are all correct but you're brainwashed by 'big store talk'. you may read my comments with a tone but these quilt vendors deserve more respect for their labors.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Ok so this is what I think so far from reading and watching vids on TQ, now I expect I may have some of these wrong due to the fact I have not used one.

Advantages
    1.lighter than same fill sleeping bag
    2.less bulk
    3.more arm room
    4.easier to move around in
    don't have any more cuz I haven't used one yet, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Disadvantages
    1.more drafty compared to a mummy bag and my not be warm for everyone.
    2.not EN rated
    3.cost just as much as a full mummy bag
    4.not made by major manufactures, no warranty
    5.could be hard to keep tucked in for a toss and turn sleeper
    6.no high tech chambers like the big sleeping bag manufactures use

1. TQ's in general can be more draffy than a mommy bag. however, many manufactures that sell on this site have introduced the option to add draft collars to their TQ's along with several other options if one finds they need such features. not to mention, when in a hammock you have far more 'surrounding' material via hammock body, bug net and UQ that help combat against air movement which impacts drafts. in addition, more people don't shift around as much in a hammock therefore heat retention along with shifting of the TQ is minimal lessening drafts.

can you call up or email you big store name and say hey, i'm a little on the cold side when sleeping - could you add another 0.5oz in the footbox or taper the shell slightly? here you can.

2. the EN rating is b.s. any TQ sold on HF through many of these very good vendors could rival any crackjacker at large box stores. an EN rating is a fancy test that doesn't mean anything really. it's just means for big stores to sell things at a higher price. if an EN rating is telling me comfort is down to 20 and the actual survival of the bag would be down to 5 or 10 and you put to people in the same bag i highly doubt both are comfortable at the same exact temperature. it's a nice pitch for big stores to sell and differentiate between a perceived higher end bag than another. i would trust any vendor on this site over any pamphlet given to me at a store. the EN rating was put in place to reduce the amount of trash being put on the market and to help your weekend warrior backpacker. it's like a seat belt, if everyone just drove right you wouldn't need them but in stead the general public had to be protected against itself.

3. you said cost just as much but what do you think about profit? so what i gather here is you don't want to pay for all the R&D that went into a TQ design and for a product that is hand made by a member that if needed to you could speak to them. the cost established through these vendors is for their time, materials, love and unfortunately to compensate for some of their frustrations. not to mention, it's made here.

4. i'm pretty sure anyone of these vendors will warranty any of their products for any manufacture defect. if you had a leaking problem, fabric for some reason separates and i've heard of vendors warranting 2nd owner products.

5. some vendors add side loops so you can run shock cord or webbing from side to side to prevent this or you can have it customized to have snaps higher up.

6. your high tech chambers are for one not needed in a hammock and two add cost to a product due to manufacturing time.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'd like to add, that the cottage vendors here are fellow hikers and hammock campers and they know what we need. They took lots of time to create what is best for making us comfortable in our nice big hammocks. Every cottage vendor here is outstanding , and will go above and beyond to make sure we get what we need, and will stand behind their product.

TQ vs Sleeping Bag, there is no comparison, a sleeping bag in a hammock is a PITA. It is too heavy, and bulky, and a TQ is so nice and comfy warm and light weight. Ah yes, the TQ wins with flying colors. Go to a local hang and check it out for yourself. You will see what I am talking about.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good question! A few years before I became a hanger, I looked into hammocks and this is the thing that stopped me from even trying one. I paid the price of that mistake by sleeping on the cold, hard, rocky, sloping ground for a few more years. So, here is my advice.

Ditch the sleeping bag and go with a top quilt for maximum comfort in a hammock. In fact, half of my ground dwelling friends have abandoned bags for quilts. Can a sleeping bag work in a hammock. Yes, but it helps if you are a former olympic gymnast.

Cost wise, the vendors here on the forums are making top quality, premium quilts. They are less expensive then my Western Mountaineering bags, which are also in the same category. It is true that top & bottom quilts combined are more expensive than one bag. That is probably the main disadvantage to hammocking.

Warranty? You'll have to go by faith on this one, but I am convinced that you will get much better after-purchase service from one of our vendors than you will from a mass produced company, warranty or no warranty.

Drafts: make sure your quilt is wide enough for you and that problem doesn't exist. (Remember that a ground quilt needs to be wider than a hammock quilt because the bottom quilt in a hammock wraps up around you, whereas the ground doesn't).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Just because a lot of us use quilts doesn't mean they are right for everybody, but you should get some comfort knowing we all had similar concerns about drafts, warmth, etc and have found quilts have met the challenge.

For me, the quilt was lighter, took up less room in the backpack, and didn't result in any downsides. It has worked both on the ground and in a hammock. I also like being able to kick out a leg while sleeping to help moderate the temperature. Getting the width right is important - if you are broad shouldered, say, then you don't want something too skinny.

On the flip side, you could probably unzip a sleeping bag and use it quilt-like and get the same results. If you got a large enough bag, it could go around the entire hammock to keep you warm, ala Shug's videos on this.

Good luck choosing.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    A cheap way to test out the "top quilt" theory is take a blanket , pin a foot box, and get in your hammock. You'll see right away the difference between that and using a sleeping bag.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    A cheap way to test out the "top quilt" theory is take a blanket , pin a foot box, and get in your hammock. You'll see right away the difference between that and using a sleeping bag.
    The cheapest way, is to unzip your sleeping bag till you have only left a foot box and use it just like a quilt...then think about how much more comfortable it will be without the zipper on both ends or running down the middle of your footbox and add in for the downy goodness.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

One aspect

If You are going to use UQ then TQ is the best option.

But if You are going to use pad - any kind of. Then using TQ will leave You with a sweaty back. There is no insulation material to keep your back ventilated when You sleep directly over pad. Of course you can use under ware for ventilation purposes.

I have moved back to the pad use due their simplicity. Hammock is more accessible when there is pad inside compared to hammock crushed with UQ around it. There is also use for pad during in camp or sitting in boat for example time and no use for UQ (Jack's are Better multi-use quilts make exception)

Synthetic bags are more sturdy than UL down bags (cheaper also) so it is easer to go in to the synthetic bag.

I my self use Wiggy's bags, and actually it is easier to go in and close the zipper than it is to go under Warbonnet Black mamba and make a knot to the cord around ones neck and then pull those elastic cords tighter to minimize draft around ones neck. But Wiggy's are different in construction than other bags, no draft collar and heavy duty 10 size zipper.
    Last edited by voivalin; 11-01-2012 at 09:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Trying to compare the pricing is kind of an apples to oranges comparison unless your looking at say Western or Feathered Friends. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice sleeping bags on the market made by the big companies but how and where they are made vs a cottage maker is a bit different.

I don't think the EN rating is the be all end all to temp comfort. At least it has tried standardizing the system some but everybody is different. Check out why Western Mountaineering has not used it.

I just find that a tq suites my sleeping style better whether I'm in a hammock or on the ground.

but as they say HYOH
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast