Exclamation Replacing a bed with a Hammock... What is a good one?

Hi guys,

I want to replace my bed with a hammock, but I am not sure which to pick. I read this guide here http://www.treklightgear.com/treklif...hammock-guide/ but I am not sure how good it is. It says to avoid fish net like hammocks if you are going to be sleeping in them. I went to big 5 sporting goods and bought a $20 hammock. It is this one http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...e-hammock.html I am not sure if I just hung it wrong or what, but it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep in. I am 6' feet tall 175 lbs. I think it might be too short for me. I can't stretch out horizontally that well. It also seems to stretch lower over night. Someone suggested this one for me http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...richammock.cfm but I am not sure if this is a good pick. I am not good at sleeping on rough or uncomfortable surfaces, so I want to spend some extra cash just to get something I can sleep in through out the night. I kept waking up at night with the hammock I bought. Sometimes there was a build up of stress on the inside of my hip on the side I was sleeping on. Could you guys suggest some good quality stuff for me? I am a total noob with hammocks. I herd about their great benefits so I really need that. There is a bed bug infestation going on so anything that gets me off the ground and the bed is great. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I hope you get your problem solved soon, if you have the room this seems like a great option, a myan style hammock is the most comfortable I've tried. I started with a tablecloth (nylon taffeta) from tablecloths factory.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcash View Post
    Hi guys,

I want to replace my bed with a hammock, but I am not sure which to pick. I read this guide here http://www.treklightgear.com/treklif...hammock-guide/ but I am not sure how good it is. It says to avoid fish net like hammocks if you are going to be sleeping in them. I went to big 5 sporting goods and bought a $20 hammock. It is this one http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...e-hammock.html I am not sure if I just hung it wrong or what, but it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep in. I am 6' feet tall 175 lbs. I think it might be too short for me. I can't stretch out horizontally that well. It also seems to stretch lower over night. Someone suggested this one for me http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...richammock.cfm but I am not sure if this is a good pick. I am not good at sleeping on rough or uncomfortable surfaces, so I want to spend some extra cash just to get something I can sleep in through out the night. I kept waking up at night with the hammock I bought. Sometimes there was a build up of stress on the inside of my hip on the side I was sleeping on. Could you guys suggest some good quality stuff for me? I am a total noob with hammocks. I herd about their great benefits so I really need that. There is a bed bug infestation going on so anything that gets me off the ground and the bed is great. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    If you're just experimenting, a tableclothfactory 60 or 90 x132 is a great way to go. You'll have to get something to hang it with. Order some Amsteel at the same time. Heck,take the stress out and just order from Pappa Smurf aka Dreamhammocks. He'll set you up with what you need.

I sleep in a Tablecloth factory hammock. Went a year in my Hancocks ripstop DIY hammock and then went with he 90 inch wide tablecloth factory.

Then you can concentrate on your camping rig.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I replaced a select comfort with a DangerBird 72, since I got it last July. No regrets, better sleep. Happy!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Are you sure you really want to replace your bed with a hammock? Most people who do have slept in a hammock and feel they are more comfortable, etc. For some people a hammock is better, but most people would prefer their own bed. You shouldn't sleep in a hammock at home just because you think you should. You should do so because they offer something your bed doesn't. Since you're not comfortable with what you've tried, I'd recommend going back to your bed.

On the other hand, if you really want a good hammock, then I'd suggest a Clark NX-250 or Flex 180, but they are much more expensive than what you've experimented with so far.
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 11-11-2012 at 11:44. Reason: correct spelling errors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The XL Brazilian your friend suggested is an excellent hammock. It is one of the Brazilians in my full-time rotation. The surface is a little rough at first, but it will soften-up very quickly. When you say you want to spend a little more...how much is a little? It isn't hard to find $400 hammocks for home sleepers. The fabric quality goes up with the price. Look around a little for other hammocks that meet, or come close, to the dimensions of the XL Brazilian and run around $100 more and you'll be happy with the comfort.

The high-end Nicaraguans are beyond comfortable, but the ones that I really like in that family seem to start around $350. Most comfortable hammock I've ever laid in, was a Nic with a price tag of $499. I still wish I would have bought that hammock, but the sticker-shock was too much and good sense prevailed...sadly.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I can recommend the Wilderness Logics Owl hammocks for home use. I tried a huge Brazilian hammock, but couldn't get it to work. It was fine (but cold) when laying in it without an underquilt. The moment I attached an underquilt, the hammock bunched up and forced me into a banana shape. Even with an extra-large underquilt. My guess is, that the cotton sticks a bit too much to the underquilt.

I tried an Owl hammock afterwards, which is a huge hammock and offers flat sleeping without calf ridges. The only drawback is, that the material is synthetic, which simply doesn't feel as nice as e.g. cotton on the skin.

• + New Posts