Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    And Lost_Biker... The pinning is slow no matter how old your hands.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmatt72 View Post
    And Lost_Biker... The pinning is slow no matter how old your hands.
    Oh, I don't know. My neighbor is 10 years younger than me and when he comes over to chat for a few hours, I put him to work pinning stuff together. His eye's are much better than mine. I'm not complaining I have all the time in the world.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

TED bugnet design sock a success on HH Safari!

I had the chance to test the DIY sock this weekend in the Adirondacks. The temps went into the teens and I was toasty(literally hot). I hung without the sock and thermarest in the same temp range a month ago and was uncomfortably cold.

I am a hot sleeper, but here's what I had:
    Top Insulation - military modular sleep system, no bivy, open as top quilt
    Bottom Insulation - 2 Walmart ccf pads, and a military XL thermarest (all nicely contained in my DIY SPE)
    Clothing - ECWCS Gen III silk weight base, ECWCS Gen III polypropylene top and bottom, ECWCS Gen III fleece jacket(which i unzipped),wool socks, and a balaclava(which I removed)

I am very excited that I was more than just warm, as I am confident I can push lower than the teens with this setup. My feet got a little cold once when they pressed against the hammock side through the topquilt.

Thank you JustJeff for the SPE design, and thanks to Lost_Biker and all the others for guidance on making the TED Bugnet design work for a sock!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I had the chance to test the DIY sock this weekend in the Adirondacks. The temps went into the teens and I was toasty(literally hot). I hung without the sock and thermarest in the same temp range a month ago and was uncomfortably cold.

I am a hot sleeper, but here's what I had:
    Top Insulation - military modular sleep system, no bivy, open as top quilt
    Bottom Insulation - 2 Walmart ccf pads, and a military XL thermarest (all nicely contained in my DIY SPE)
    Clothing - ECWCS Gen III silk weight base, ECWCS Gen III polypropylene top and bottom, ECWCS Gen III fleece jacket(which i unzipped),wool socks, and a balaclava(which I removed)

I am very excited that I was more than just warm, as I am confident I can push lower than the teens with this setup. My feet got a little cold once when they pressed against the hammock side through the topquilt.

Thank you JustJeff for the SPE design, and thanks to Lost_Biker and all the others for guidance on making the TED Bugnet design work for a sock!
    Your quite welcome! I'm glad you got it to work! Got any pictures for us?

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The only pics I have are from during the construction of the sock while it was hanging in my "hammock testing grounds" aka the basement. The only changes from these pics are that I cleaned up the seam on the bottom so that it more uniformly fits the shape of the hammock and eliminated the loaded diaper sag that shows in these photos. I'm still playing around with suspensions to keep the ends of the sock from sliding out of place.

I really love the design and can't wait to get out again. There will likely be snow in the next set of photos.

Hammock Sock 1.JPG
    Hammock Sock 2.JPG
    Hammock Sock 3.JPG
    Hammock Sock.JPG

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    The only pics I have are from during the construction of the sock while it was hanging in my "hammock testing grounds" aka the basement. The only changes from these pics are that I cleaned up the seam on the bottom so that it more uniformly fits the shape of the hammock and eliminated the loaded diaper sag that shows in these photos. I'm still playing around with suspensions to keep the ends of the sock from sliding out of place.

I really love the design and can't wait to get out again. There will likely be snow in the next set of photos.

Hammock Sock 1.JPG
    Hammock Sock 2.JPG
    Hammock Sock 3.JPG
    Hammock Sock.JPG
    Great work Dmatt! "loaded diaper sag" You almost made me choke when I saw that.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I can't believe I missed this thread. Just wanted to let you know, McEntyre made me a sock for my Safari and I love it. It has the seep, and works great, and it works great with 11 ft hammocks.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, the loaded diaper imagery just came to me the second I stepped back and saw the botched pin job. I'm glad I could supply a laugh.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    And good thing I wasn't drinking something at the time!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    [QUOTE=Lost_Biker;850474]You can use anything to put weight inside the hammock - Dog food bags.

I would be a little careful what I put in the hammock for weight. Dog food/cat food bags are big and lumpy. We buy in the 40 to 50 pound bags. The problem you should consider in my humble opinion is that the food leaves a little oil and SMELL of food, candy to critters.

I started to use a couple of 50 lb. bags of K9 food then thought about it for a minute. I do not want my dog to taste the hammock. My cat already chewed on the strap of my hennessy, I think the oil from my hands brought that attack on. Scents linger, you might not want something tasting you in the night. Anyway it is just a thought for your consideration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast