Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Why switch out the HH stock tarp?

I am new, but I don't really see the advantage. If you go with a small maccat, it may be lighter, but you get less coverage. If you go with anything the same size, the additional cost seems questionable. If you go with something larger, you'll get better coverage, but add weight as well as cost. So why? I am looking for the cheapest, lightest way to go...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    So why? I am looking for the cheapest, lightest way to go...
    Sounds like the stock tarp is the best choice for you!

Many people on this forum prefer to have a little more coverage than the stock tarp offers, either for cooking under or lounging or whatever. There is certainly nothing wrong with going with minimal coverage, though, if that suits you.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Larger tarp to protect down UQ or for group settings

I have been pondering the same question for some time. Folks that have invested in a down underquilt (e.g. JRB) often go with the larger tarp to protect the exposed quilt.

Those of use who use the SuperShelter have no need for the larger tarp, as the HH SS includes a WP undercover as an integral part of the system.

OTOH, I have considered buying a larger tarp for group camping. That way my large hammock tarp can do double-duty as group cover for meals, etc. This saves weight for others I hike with. So far, it hasn't bubbled up high enough in my budget priorities to make the purchase, I'm focused more on cold-weather protection as Winter sets in.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I have an underquilt and like the larger tarp to protect quilt from rain. Also, I camp with scouts and like the larger tarp for changing in group situations. (I'm sure the parents appreciate it too!) When it's cold and windy, I can close ends of large tarp to block wind.

Like Angry Sparrow says, no reason to switch out if it works for you. Gotta love the weight of the smaller tarp. I take smaller tarp in summer when I don't use underquilt and when not camping with scouts.

I have the SS and will be using the Speer Winter Tarp with my HH Explorer Ultralight. I like having the extra protection and cover and I can close off the ends if it really gets cold.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have the HH UL Asym. I use the stock tarp on shorter (3 nights or less) trips. The stock tarp makes the hammock a sleeping shelter only - you really can't do anything else under it, but it keeps me dry in nasty weather, and it's light. On longer trips, I have a Speer winter tarp - for 10 extra ounces, it's like bringing a house with you. You can cook, stand up, change clothes, sit, read, etc., etc., in an all-day rain, and thoroughly enjoy being outside.

Images
    You really don't need anything else to keep dry if using the system as directed by HH- with the tarp attached to the hammock suspension prussick hooks. If there is any question about that, I don't think there is any question at all if you are also using the SS to keep warm. However, you will have to make some adjustments to overcome the loose flapping tarp syndrome. There are various ways to deal with this. So it can be made tolerable, but I don't think it can ever approach the wind stability and nice tight pitch of a cat cut tarp tied to the trees, but you for sure can keep bone dry. Plus I don't think there is a whole bunch of wind advantage to the larger tarp if you are already using the HH SS. At least not when you are in the hammock.

But there is a social aspect. More than once, whether hiking with a mix of hangers and ground dwellers, or with all hangers, I have ended up with multiple folks sitting around under my Mac Cat Deluxe or JRB 10X11 during inclement weather. With the hammocks and/or tents often separated by 30 or 100 feet, sometimes it gets a little boring by yourself when it is raining all day. I don't think much of this socializing would be going on under my stock HH diamond tarp.

Of course, if you are traveling solo, that will all be irrelevant! But bottom line: If you don't feel a need for more room under the tarp when you are not in the hammock, and you don't mind a somewhat looser( or a lot looser depending on your skill) tarp, there is no reason at all not to use the HH diamond tarp. (However, I have never tried to use a down UQ with my HH, which hangs down a bit and may be more at risk to getting wet) But for me, I feel totally exposed trying to use the stock tarp tied to trees on both ends. This makes the pitch MUCH tighter, but as soon as I get in and the hammock sags, I feel pretty uncovered, at least if there is wind driven sideways rain. Others may have more luck, but no matter what I do, I just don't feel secure. But tieing one end to the tree and the other to the hammock seems to work pretty good.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-25-2008 at 21:18.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    ya, my JRB winter hut is huge and hefty to tote. But draws plenty of company and guests when the weather turns cold or wet

Just the same, there are days I long for a minimalist spinnaker, 8x5 tarp.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I think using both the stock tarp and a bigger tarp is the way to go. Depnding on factors such as weather, season, etc. Once you use a bigger tarp or see one in action, I think you'll happily trade the ounces for the coverage.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You really don't need anything else to keep dry if using the system as directed by HH- with the tarp attached to the hammock suspension prussick hooks. If there is any question about that, I don't think there is any question at all if you are also using the SS to keep warm. However, you will have to make some adjustments to overcome the loose flapping tarp syndrome. There are various ways to deal with this. So it can be made tolerable, but I don't think it can ever approach the wind stability and nice tight pitch of a cat cut tarp tied to the trees, but you for sure can keep bone dry. Plus I don't think there is a whole bunch of wind advantage to the larger tarp if you are already using the HH SS. At least not when you are in the hammock.

But there is a social aspect. More than once, whether hiking with a mix of hangers and ground dwellers, or with all hangers, I have ended up with multiple folks sitting around under my Mac Cat Deluxe or JRB 10X11 during inclement weather. With the hammocks and/or tents often separated by 30 or 100 feet, sometimes it gets a little boring by yourself when it is raining all day. I don't think much of this socializing would be going on under my stock HH diamond tarp.

Of course, if you are traveling solo, that will all be irrelevant! But bottom line: If you don't feel a need for more room under the tarp when you are not in the hammock, and you don't mind a somewhat looser( or a lot looser depending on your skill) tarp, there is no reason at all not to use the HH diamond tarp. (However, I have never tried to use a down UQ with my HH, which hangs down a bit and may be more at risk to getting wet) But for me, I feel totally exposed trying to use the stock tarp tied to trees on both ends. This makes the pitch MUCH tighter, but as soon as I get in and the hammock sags, I feel pretty uncovered, at least if there is wind driven sideways rain. Others may have more luck, but no matter what I do, I just don't feel secure. But tieing one end to the tree and the other to the hammock seems to work pretty good.
    BB58 makes some good points here.... Added thoughts.....when you are "The Host Tarper" you get to sit in a hammock , others use their pads on the ground..... Or take your pad and go visit.

Conversly if you prefer solitude..... you get it.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast