Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

New River vs. Jarbidge

I am looking at purchasing either the New River or the Jarbidge and can't make up my mind. My main concern is keeping my legs warm at night, that is why I am leaning toward the NR. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    If keeping your legs warm is your main concern, you might as well go for the full coverage and not worry about it. There is something nice about just getting in and knowing you are covered. I use the Jarbridge, with a sit pad in the footbox of my quilt and never notice cold feet, but I am a hot sleeper. For your situation, nothing beats peace of mind to give a good night's sleep.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Cant speak for the NewRiver but I have the Jarbidge and it is a nice quilt. I get pretty good ceverage as well being 5'10. I have been looking at the newriver to try out and lower the fiddle factor. Like said above if you are concerned about coverage and don't want to deal with partial pads I would go with the full quilt. There will be a weight penalty but if you are alright with that or it doesn't matter with your type of camping then go for it.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    I have the jarbridge and do the same with the pad under the feet and it works great...

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I was debating the same thing and went with the New River and I'm glad I did. I'm 6'1 and the new river gives me great coverage. The sides come up high enough on the hammock to keep your shoulders warm and the length covers from head to feet keeping me warm all over. The original plan was to get the Jarbidge and some flamethrower socks but that still left half my legs with no insulation. For $5 less I got the new river and full length warmth. I'm still thinking of getting a Jarbidge for use in the cool months but for colder temps the price of the New River is hard to beat.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bacall79 View Post
    I am looking at purchasing either the New River or the Jarbidge and can't make up my mind. My main concern is keeping my legs warm at night, that is why I am leaning toward the NR. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
    How will you be using it? I use my NR 0 degree for car camping and love it. For motorcycle camping the Hammock Gear Incubator is the go to UQ (for extra space in the side cases). Seems to me the gram counter thing is good (and has application even to motorcycle travel) but can be done at the expense of not enjoying the outdoor experience as much. For me a bit of extra weight for good sleeping and eating is worth it but I escape to find solitude not do a mileage challenge. YMMV

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One thing to note is the New River that LD is using is a 11.6 oz to the yard climashield UBBER winter version that we made a few of last year. Our winter upgrade currently is a 9 oz to the yard 2 layer system that is massively more compressible and lighter than the Ubber would be. Apples and oranges with our regular 6 oz 3 season version being a Mango.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I plan on hiking with it. I know that the NR or Jarbidge will be extra weight compared to a down uq but I can handle it. I have read a lot of good responses to these 2 quilts so that is a selling point for me. Thanks for the input!!

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Well, I have a New River and love it! I am six ft tall, with poor circulation in my legs fro diabetes, and the NR keeps 'em warm!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    One thing to note is the New River that LD is using is a 11.6 oz to the yard climashield UBBER winter version that we made a few of last year.
    And on another note...

LD (r) is loving that ubber quilt BTW, it is the go to when in the cage and Mrs LD (her moto days are over) is not jealously hording it. On his first test moto over nighter he went with that UQ, a Primaloft mummy bag, and Kelty 12 X12 tarp...almost had no room left for food. Soon after he purchased two AHE tarps plus a Hammock gear Incubator and Burrow. I am a backpacker from the 60/70s and just can't get over my obsession for down, ultimately nothing is more comfortable than quality down IMO. He would have purchased a full length Flamethrower UQ and TQ to go with the tarps but they don't exist (hint hint).

Were I spending more time in way damp climates there would be much investigation into a regular NR or the Jarbridge weighing the merits of space consumption and insulation. Probably the NR would win out simply because sleeping comfort wins out over pretty much anything else and ground pads (even for the foots) are of the Devil.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast