i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH

Pad & PLUQ combo

I was curious to know if any of the folks on here supplement there pad with a PLUQ. I don't have the funds for an underquilt but can pick up poncho liner for about $20 at a local army surplus. Also, what temp do you think this combo would be good for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Images
    Sunny, I have been a No Sew PLUQ user. I don't know if yours is a sew or no sew model. There are several threads that talk about adding insulation between the layers so you can go colder. That might be an option for you, search the UQ insulation sub-forum. I really never could get comfortable with a pad in my hammock.

I have a 20* HG Phoenix coming in next week and I am considering converting my PLUQ to a single layer 55-65* UQ.

Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    With an PLUQ and pad, and appropriate TQ/Sleeping bag you could probably get down to 20*F-ish maybe further.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a no sew PLUQ

I used it for the first time last night
    Temp was upper 40s or lower 50's

I placed a section of reflectix between the layers of the PL.

The only thing that got cold was my feet
    Other than that I was quite comfy
    Last edited by firemedic; 11-04-2012 at 21:30.
    Palmetto State Hangers

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I had my pluq out this fall with lows in the 40s, with my 30degree sleeping bag I was warm enough. I would say 45 is probably the bottom end for a pluq alone. If you were to add some insulation to the pluq or a thin pad I would say you could g it under 30.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Thanks for the responses folks. I have a 20* Big Agnes that I pair with an REI 3/4 length 1.75in self inflating pad. I have been quite happy with what I have so far. I do have a fleece "blanket" I picked up for $2 at a local salvation army that I use in the bag for added warmth or for a cold spot solution. I was hoping the combination of the current setup supplemented by a PLUQ would get me down into the 20*-30* range comfortably. I haven't done alot of cold camping mainly night temps in the uppper 30's to low 40's, but would like to. I am hoping to get a Thinlight (or something equivalent) for Christmas to add to the mixture, but I was thinking the PLUQ would be a good, low cost addition. I like what I have seen so far on the discussions of the PLUQ so I was considering giving it a go.
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I haven't been below 28, but used a partial UQ...

My inexperienced opinion: The pad alone will get you down pretty far. Adding a PLUQ will reduce the wind, and add some insulation value, especially to your shoulders and hips.

How much more? Hard to say...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Thanks for the responses folks. I have a 20* Big Agnes that I pair with an REI 3/4 length 1.75in self inflating pad. I have been quite happy with what I have so far. I do have a fleece "blanket" I picked up for $2 at a local salvation army that I use in the bag for added warmth or for a cold spot solution. I was hoping the combination of the current setup supplemented by a PLUQ would get me down into the 20*-30* range comfortably. I haven't done alot of cold camping mainly night temps in the uppper 30's to low 40's, but would like to. I am hoping to get a Thinlight (or something equivalent) for Christmas to add to the mixture, but I was thinking the PLUQ would be a good, low cost addition. I like what I have seen so far on the discussions of the PLUQ so I was considering giving it a go.
    30* with a full-length pad and proper top insulation? No problem. 20* might be pushing it a bit. I'd be willing to try it, but I'm usually good for 5 to 10* F lower than normal bag ratings. I'm pretty warm blooded, even though I live down here in sunny FL.

I've successfully taken a torso-sized pad and a sewn PLUQ as low as 24* comfortably. I've taken nearly the same set-up (no thick socks, no additional fleece hoodie) down to 21* F survivably, though my feet got cold that night and I was uncomfortably cool overall.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'm another vote for 30/35 with the combination. Add a sock to build your micro climate and go to 20/25 more comfortably. I'm a hot sleeper at home (still running my window air unit upstairs, while hubby is bundled up), but I'm a cold sleeper in the woods. Add in a small piece of reflectix for under the rump.

• + New Posts