WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images

Zipper

Ok folks, I need help with a zipper.

I'm currently converting a top cover (based off a BBO) into a a sock. My plan is to sew one long side and then to put a zipper along the other side. Questions:

I got the zipper coil and double sided pull tabs from diygearsupply, now, do I keep the zipper coil closed and sew it as is, or do I separate the coil into the two pieces and then sew each of those? If separating, how is a good way to do so? I'm afraid of trying to force anything because I always end up breaking stuff that way.

I'm planning on a zipper pull from each end, anything I should know or any problems with this?

Also, my plan is to allow the zipper to open all the way (like on a jacket) so that if I decide to throw it on my hammock, I don't have to thread it through the straps. Any problems with this idea?

opinions and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    I got the zipper coil and double sided pull tabs from diygearsupply, now, do I keep the zipper coil closed and sew it as is, or do I separate the coil into the two pieces and then sew each of those? If separating, how is a good way to do so? I'm afraid of trying to force anything because I always end up breaking stuff that way.
    The zipper can be sewn on together or separated. Works fine either way.
    I normally separate the zipper. I always mark one end of the zipper before separating. To separate, just pull one half towards you and slide a finger down between the zipper halves.
    I'm planning on a zipper pull from each end, anything I should know or any problems with this?
    Leave the ends of the zipper accesible so you can install your zipper slides. Just align the ends of the zipper coil, insert them into the slider and gently tug until the slider enguages the teeth. It's actually easier to get the sliders on if the zipper coil hangs over past the end several inches. You can always cut it down to size after the sliders are on. Afterward, you can tuck the ends in and clean things up by sewing into the ends of your fabric.
    Also, my plan is to allow the zipper to open all the way (like on a jacket) so that if I decide to throw it on my hammock, I don't have to thread it through the straps. Any problems with this idea?
    Yep, big problem with this. The zipper coil you have will not make a separating zipper. Once you install the sliders, they're on there for good.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 11-03-2012 at 21:58.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yep, big problem with this. The zipper coil you have will not make a separating zipper. Once you install the sliders, they're on there for good.
    This is only partly true. If you sew down the ends like described above then yes the sliders are on there to stay. If you leave the tails loose you can remove the sliders and reinstall at will. _However_ when you have done this once, you realize what a pain in the tookus it is. You also realize how annoying it is to do this all the time. If you are going to do it twice a year it might be worth it. Although I wouldn't bother. But it is really aggravating to remove and reinstall sliders on a regular basis.

So while PapaSmurf did not mention this, I totally agree with his assessment.... Yes... big problem with the idea.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good advice. I am looking for a 2 way zipper like the ones used in a Warbonnet Black Bird but do not know the proper term for it.

Any advice what parts I would need to get ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...s-page/zipper/

This is where I got mine. I just bought a coil of zipper and 2 double sided pulls.

• + New Posts