DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers

Need help picking out a new tarp.

I have recently got back into backpacking and because of my back issues I have had to greatly reduce the weight I can carry. One of the areas that I am trying to reduce weight is in my shelter. I am using a hammock system instead of a tent (also because of the bad back) and right now my shelter system weighs in at a total of 4 pounds 1.3 ounces. My current tarp weighs 22 ounces! Ouch.

I have been looking at the MacCat Standard (silnylon) which only weighs 10 ounces. I have also read some threads talking about cuben fiber tarps (which I have found to be very expensive) and spinnaker tarps.

I am concerned about paying lots of money for a cuben fiber tarp and it not holding up.

For those that are into light weight backpacking, what do you use and why? How does the material hold up?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I used a MacCat deluxe on my AT trek this summer.
    I LOVED it.

I also have have one of these.
    OUTSTANDING!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sL0FIHQD84
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i have 2 tarps currently, a HUGE HEAVY Underground Quilts Winter Dream 12 and a Wilderness Logics Big Black Daddy. almost the same tarp, the WL is a little shorter and less doors.

in this thread i posed the question of why people chose their tarp, what attributes etc. check it out

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=choose+tarp
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    i have 2 tarps currently, a HUGE HEAVY Underground Quilts Winter Dream 12 and a Wilderness Logics Big Black Daddy. almost the same tarp, the WL is a little shorter and less doors.

in this thread i posed the question of why people chose their tarp, what attributes etc. check it out

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=choose+tarp
    Rev:
    Thanks for pointing to that most excellent thread you started. Good expressions of appreciation of larger tarps for socializing, and some good illustrated personal histories with tarps, too. Better late than never, and I'll point some others to it, now.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Rev:
    Thanks for pointing to that most excellent thread you started. Good expressions of appreciation of larger tarps for socializing, and some good illustrated personal histories with tarps, too. Better late than never, and I'll point some others to it, now.
    no problem Demo.

my thing is, carry the biggest tarp you can comfortably. like i said in that thread, with my "smaller" tarp i could have fit 6 people under it and out of the rain. i look at it as id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. more coverage is never a bad thing.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I have a cuben tarp and so far it has held up just fine although I haven't had it out where it takes a beating from the weather.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It really comes down to what coverage/weather protection you need. After that your pocket book will rule the choice.

As to the durability of cuben; I have started to hear reports on AT thru hikes being completed with cuben tarps which speaks well. Given the choice of repairing silnylon or cuben, I'd choose cuben hands down. My cuben is approaching it's first birthday and I couldn't tell it from a new one. Light weight, great coverage, excellent resale, cuben was an easy decision for me.

David

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers
    When it comes to weather protection, I am not going to skimp on price. I would rather pay more and get a great tarp that keeps me dry and it very light weight.

As far as trying to be social under my one tarp, that has never really been an issue that I have given much thought to. I really don't see that being a part of my buying decision as I usually will be camping with a small group of people. If it comes a down pour, we will all get under our respective tarps until it quits raining or seek shelter elsewhere. My main concerns are staying dry from the elements and being light weight and durable.

I will check out the other thread listed above as well but I am leaning more and more towards this cuben fiber tarp. I would love to see one of these in person though before I buy one online. I am pretty sure that there is not a place where I can pick one up locally.

Anyone in the Austin/Central Texas area have a cuben fiber tarp that I could check out?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I use a MaCCat Standard in cuben and really like it. It is a little short for my longer hammocks so for those I use a MacCat Deluxe in Spinn UL. No problem with holding up so far with either tarp.

S

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Warbonnet edge. Super light (sil version), good enough coverage, if you pitch it well.

Overall very pleased with this piece of gear (but have only had for one season and a handful of trips so no comments on durability).

• + New Posts