Thread: HH DJ with SS?

HH DJ with SS?

Hi guys, I'm new but serious. I got my Hennessey Deep Jungle this year when I let my house go and moved off into the jungle. Love it, it's the most brilliant little device ever. I find it better then a house in many respects. So now I'm travelling all over the world and I'm up in the Himalay's in India and I need to upgrade my equipment. I'm getting a Valandre Bloody Mary, I need better clothes and I need to upgrade my Hammock. I wish I had know the DJ wasn;t compatible with the SS when I got it. But I here mixed reports, some at HH say it does work and some say it doesn't fit quite right. So I'm thinking of getting another hammock like an hyperlite with the SS and maybe another SS and give the DJ with the SS to my friend. But still raises some questions, is the hyperlight the best Hammock, I want to use rings to hang it and the hyperlight has a very thin rope and minimum load carrying, what if I need to share my hammock with someone? I mean Hammocks are very light, I'm not stressing over a little weight, maybe an expedition is stronger? So the question is will the SS work the the DJ and what kind of hammock should I get. I like the side entrance better because I like to be able to open up the mosquito net.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Keep the DJ and upgrade it. Replcace the fly wih something bigger. Instead of the SuperShelter buy a 20 degree underquilt and topquilt. That's my 2 cents.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I would go with a Explorer. Up grade the rainfly. You can have it sent to Q2 for a mod. I would buy the bottom entry and have the zipper sewn in. Maybe have the rainfly pockets put into the rainfly while you are getting set up. I am sure you understand about humidity, so be cautious about picking your UQ. I think the HH SS shelter might work better for you. I am not sure since I have only traveled North America. High humidity rots things out quickly. I would carry extra cords and lines, if you are getting off the beaten track.

I think if you read the specifications you can decide on which hammock fabric will work the best for you.

I think your current hammock is the only one that does not work with the HH SS. He does warn you on his website.

Images
    I'm a little confused.
    You have a DJ now, is that correct? A DJ or DJ XL?

Do you already have a SS?

Who said a SS won't work on a DJ?

The regular DJ's specs (100X48) are actually a tad smaller than an Expedition ( 100X52), on which the SS #1 will work.

The DJ XL and Explorer ( which a SS #2 fits) list the exact same dimensions, 108X56.

I used a #2 SS on a DJ XL, seemed fine to me. If you have the smaller DJ, and you had any concerns/paranoia, you could - and if you don't already have a SS, you could always get the #2 SS and use it on the the reg size DJ. If you line the shoulder loops and exit holes up, the leg holes won't fit quite right ( heck, they don't anyway with the correct size SS ). But t doesn't much matter, still works fine, just leave the foot tie outs undone, Or, use them- it won't be a perfect fit but still works. Some times I don't even bother with either rt or lt pull outs. That way I can move the pads and UC around freely, and it forms an even better wrap around my shoulders. Last fall, I loaned one of my extra lareger #2 SSs to a friend who had the smaller HH expedition. It was no problem, he slept cozy warm with lows into low 30s. And the #2 pad is wider in the shoulders ( wider=better) anyway.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    BillyBob58 noted all the important points as to why the SS should work for you. I have two sizes of the hammocks. I purchased the 2 so I could use it on the smaller hammock also.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    But still raises some questions, is the hyperlight the best Hammock, I want to use rings to hang it and the hyperlight has a very thin rope and minimum load carrying, what if I need to share my hammock with someone? I mean Hammocks are very light, I'm not stressing over a little weight, maybe an expedition is stronger? So the question is will the SS work the the DJ and what kind of hammock should I get. I like the side entrance better because I like to be able to open up the mosquito net.[/QUOTE]

I have the Hyperlite and the DJ XL and they are both awesomesauce.
    I used rings with my Hyperlite at first, but I ran the webbing/tree strap through the rings rather than the thin spectra cord. I didn't like how it mashed the webbing (and jammed shut) and I don't think I'd like it mashing my spectra cord. I have since switched to whoopies with a marlin spike hitch. I tried Dynaglide whoopies--they're small and light, but I find the 7/64 amsteel adjusts nicer and feels luxurious Tests are still ongoing to see which lasts longer.

Your DJ is just a standard hammock, so you can hang an underquilt under that baby.
    --For the DJ XL the SuperShelter #2 (Made for the explorer Deluxe (which is the same size) should fit if you want to use both/either the reflector pad and the foam pad + optional stuffing. I've put a spare sleeping bag + space blanket in my Supershelter and it's kept me quite toasty in winter.
    --For the DJ Regular, which is essentially a Double-Layer Hyperlite Zip (also the same size as the Ultralight Backpacker), which takes Supershelter #1...although personally, I think the fit could be better--particularly the overcover--because the Hyperlite is 4" shorter on the diagonal than the Expedition (I think that's the model for which the Supershelter was made). When I have the supershelter on my Hyperlite, it doesn't pull-out nicely, and I notice a gap in my overcover, but it works.
    --Alternately, you can take a full-Zip sleeping bag and zip it up around the hammock (not over the ridgeline) and pull it over you for a DIY hammock pod.
    Last edited by Deep Thought; 11-22-2012 at 12:56. Reason: Edited for awesomeness

• + New Posts