Greetings,

One of the best resources for the newbie has to be the access to videos the forum provides. Seeing how to do something, how a hang is supposed to look, how to tie knots -- the list in nearly endless. However, there's one drawback. If you're deaf or hard of hearing, you're pretty much up the creek.

Oddly enough, I speak from experience. I'm stone deaf. While I realize that the deaf form a rather small minority, (hell, I don't know anybody who's deaf but me), they aren't the only one who could benefit from captioning. People who don't understand English (Scots and the Welsh for example) could benefit greatly from having captioning. Might even be able to do a quick translation into something like German or Creole -- who knows?

If you want a good laugh, one can always try to turn English Captioning on in YouTube to see what you can find. Quite often, the video will have the ability to do captioning on the fly, via Google. For a really good time, I'd suggest trying YouTube on the subject of Stealth Camping. Quite a few of those videos (particularly the one where there's a guy sitting in front of a bike explaining how and why people do stealth camping). I thought my wife and daughter were going to need an oxygen mask, the way they were laughing) [ I still don't know what a caterpillar camera of secrecy is.]

Now, I don't know much about the formats for YouTube or the videos that are on the forum right now. Most of my experience has been adding captioning to MP4 format files for movies. I need to research how one can attach a language stream to a video (anybody volunteering to help?) but I'd be willing to do stuff for free if someone could get me a transcript of the video.

Any takers?

>>>><<<<

[ if you're wondering, this is a sly way to try and get transcripts of some of the videos I've watched. Sneaky, but what can I say.]