Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Peapod / UQ layering question

Going backpacking on Mt Rogers next weekend. Weather Channel says 31 at night. Hoping for the best, but preparing for 20* nights with snow and unsure about windchill.

I am using my new-to-me Peapod over my 20* incubator UQ and my Kelty 20* sleeping bag. My hammock is a HH Hyperlite with the bug net tied open. Being female and a cold sleeper, My comfort level is about 20* above the stated temp rating.

I am not sure I'm hanging this right when layering. The first time, When I hung the Peapod by itself, I tightened the toggles down to limit ventilation. Then tied the strings to the hammock suspension, resting the strings of the pod on the gathered end thingie. I slept well and the pod didn't slip, so I guess I did it right.

This time I hung my UQ first, then spread my Peapod over. My issue is how to attach the pod to the hammock with the Incubator attached. The Peapod slips over the UQ suspension. Can I thread the pod strings through the UQ s-biner or do I add another biner?

I am trying this out tonight, so hopefully won't fall apart

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1 biner vs 2
    Either way can work. If the p=pod needs more adjustment you can prussik a line to your suspension higher up..if needed. The carabiner should be sturdy enough to support both quilts.

Sounds like a warm system.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    1 biner vs 2
    Either way can work. If the p=pod needs more adjustment you can prussik a line to your suspension higher up..if needed. The carabiner should be sturdy enough to support both quilts.

Sounds like a warm system.
    Thanks for the feexback. It seems to work out okay. I'll have to wait for light to see if the suspension slipped.

It is amazingly warm. I am cozy in my hammock as I write this. It did not get as cold as it was supposed to, I would have loved to try this out much colder weather. I got so hot I had to take off all of my warm clothes and socks and vent the pod.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    vapor, vapor, vapor. be concious that you can sweat soak your insulation.
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhhgladius View Post
    vapor, vapor, vapor. be concious that you can sweat soak your insulation.
    Is there something specific I should do? Or are you referring to one getting over warm and ventilating?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    As a starter, a Peapod does not lend itself well to asym hammocks or hammocks with integrated bugnets. You can make due, but it won't really perform to its fullest on that style of hammock.

The Hyperlite is about 8'4" long. The Peapod is 9'6". With that much overlap, the Peapod should easily go beyond the Incubator suspension attachment. Keep in mind, the Incubator will not need to be "dialed in" when used in combination with a pod. Gaps and air leaks won't matter, because the Peapod is already making a seal around it. I would just hang the Incubator normally under the hammock, then extend the pod suspension lines beyond the Incubator on the hammock suspension line. Just wrap the pod lines around the line and secure it with a bow knot. A much simpler option could be to skip using the incubator suspension completely. Speer designed the Peapod to be used with a down blanket with no suspension. With that in mind, you could just attach the pod as you did before (probably with a bit more slack underneath), and toss the incubator in the bottom. It'll work fine just like that. I throw one of my JRB quilts in mine without having it attached, and I've been hot at minus 15 F.

FWIW, a 20 degree pod and a 20 degree incubator provides about 100 degrees of insulation. For most, that would be enough to get close to minus 30 F. I understand you believe you are a cold sleeper, but the configuration you're using would have most people overheated at 0.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    You also might want to take another look at the forecast. The current forecast calls for a low of 40 Friday night and 36 Saturday night, and that is if you were setting camp on the PEAK of Mount Rogers. More than likely, it'll be a few degrees warmer than that if you are on the AT. The highs will be in the mid 50's. If the temps do dip into the upper 20's, you'll probably only see that for the couple of hours around sunrise.

I'd hate to see you carrying all of the extra weight and bulk for 4 season backpacking when the actual forecast looks to be a lovely 3 season affair.

Just a another note on the Peapod. The designer, Ed Speer is a notoriously cold sleeper and very conservatively rated the 20 degree Peapod.A 20 degree pod and a sleeping bag would accommodate most into the single digits. With the lows looking to be about 30 degrees warmer than that, I'd leave the Incubator at home and stick with the bag and pod. You'll probably still be too warm, but you can always vent.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I agree with wisenber, I'd leave the UQ at home and take a down vest to use if you get CBS. (just in case) I am also a cold sleeper. I think you will be too warm, and be carrying way more than you need. However; everyone is different and only you know what is best for you. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG Custom Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ, TQ & PeaPod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I have a peapod and have been down to 19f with just a regular 20f sleeping bag inside. I was way too hot and ended off opening the peapod to ventilate.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I think you will be too warm, and be carrying way more than you need.
    if you're still worried it never hurts to carry a 3 ounce space blanket for just in case. in my own hyperlite i have thrown a space blanket over the ridgeline. then when it got warm enough i vented a little over my head/feet by pushing the sb toward the center of the ridgeline on both ends. and it's so shiny, it's like New Years' Eve in there!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast