Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I just tried this on a scout camp out. I got a 25 foot length of amsteel and made a continuous suspension/ridgline with the rings 9 feet apart. I just had two 2 inch steel rings from Home Depot on hand, so I used them. I had just gotten a Grand Trunk hammock, and the hooks hooked on to the rings in a snap. I wrapped the line around the rings with 5 wraps. The adjustment you can do is just like Whoopies, which I did not have an extra pair of. My only problem on this hang was getting the distance between the rings right. Laying diagonally in the hammock caused my back to sit on a raised part of the hammock where the tension pulls it up a bit. I have to experiment with moving the rings closer or further apart. But I really like the simplicity of this method of suspension.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeMix View Post
    ..I use some weird suspension line, it's called "trimmerline" and it's used in sailing somehow. I'm not a big fan of the wet stuff so I have no clue of what it's for exactly. The line is 4mm in diameter, it's got a plastic core, and is rated 360 kg (almost 800 pounds, 793 IIRC)....
    FWIW...that strength rating is on the low side leaving little margin for safety.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I just tried this on a scout camp out. I got a 25 foot length of amsteel and made a continuous suspension/ridgline with the rings 9 feet apart. I just had two 2 inch steel rings from Home Depot on hand, so I used them. I had just gotten a Grand Trunk hammock, and the hooks hooked on to the rings in a snap. I wrapped the line around the rings with 5 wraps. The adjustment you can do is just like Whoopies, which I did not have an extra pair of. My only problem on this hang was getting the distance between the rings right. Laying diagonally in the hammock caused my back to sit on a raised part of the hammock where the tension pulls it up a bit. I have to experiment with moving the rings closer or further apart. But I really like the simplicity of this method of suspension.
    You could lighten it up some by removing those big steel rings and putting in some lighter climbing rated carabiners... Or better yet make you some continuous loops out of amsteel for a permenant attachment..
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I been thinking about this since I saw it on Bonepiles hammock at the Uwharrie hang. This is what I have come up with, a piece of 2 inch tubing that I cut 2 holes in 1 on each end on opposite sides. I fed amsteel in the end out the hole looped 5 times then in the other hole and out the other end. Make a loop then feed loose end under the 5 wraps around the tubing. Seems to work great, hopefully get to install on a BB and try it out this weekend. Let you know how it works out soon. Can't remember how to post pic so here is a link.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Here is pic. image.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    ...a piece of 2 inch tubing that I cut 2 holes in 1 on each end on opposite sides. I fed amsteel in the end out the hole looped 5 times then in the other hole and out the other end. Make a loop then feed loose end under the 5 wraps around the tubing...
    Scares me....I might be wrong, but if that is PVC or another plastic pipe I would be concerned that the ends would break out at the holes. If it holds, be sure to have the edge of the holes smoothly rounded inside and out to prevent wear on the rope.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    It is poly tubing and not hard enough to damage the rope. Just by testing it inside it does put very much side pressure on the holes. I'll know more when I test it out.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

excellent EagleJ

I'm glad to see progress still being made on the SRiS ( I hope that acronym hasn't been taken by another hammock feature or process).
    I think one of our famous instructors here at HF and on Youtube, a professor type, might just be working on a vid for the SRiS.

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    FWIW...that strength rating is on the low side leaving little margin for safety.
    Yeah, I know... But I've been using it for almost a year now with absolutely no signs of wear, compression etc. I'm a small guy, 140-150 pounds or thereabout, so I still feel pretty safe.
    But thanks a bunch for looking after a fellow member

I'll give it another shot, seems like this is the easiest way to adjust/readjust, but I still don't understand how to keep the adjuster line straight though.
    When I get in my hammock, the wraps constrict and twist the adj.line. Well-well, back to the lab
    People on this forum are absolutely incredible. I wish we could discover new land and inhabit it all together. :-) - Deadphans

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    I been thinking about this since I saw it on Bonepiles hammock at the Uwharrie hang. This is what I have come up with, a piece of 2 inch tubing that I cut 2 holes in 1 on each end on opposite sides. I fed amsteel in the end out the hole looped 5 times then in the other hole and out the other end. Make a loop then feed loose end under the 5 wraps around the tubing. Seems to work great, hopefully get to install on a BB and try it out this weekend. Let you know how it works out soon. Can't remember how to post pic so here is a link.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    Wow, that's a slick idea. Looking forward to the results of your test Eaglej.
    It's fun to watch the SRS evolve. Gotta come up with a new name for this tube suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast