WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    See how amazing this board is...sound advise from the man who created the product in question (and hf members). I wish all industries ran this way!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Well being a new bird owner, one thing I noticed was the center ridge is more noticeable the tighter my suspension. If I loosened or increased the sag/angle a little it would disappear, but I already had the "too deep in the foot box" tip before I first got into mine.

You definitely have to play with hammocks to get a consistent comfortable lay. That is one thing I can say about tents, no matter how or where I set it up they were always uncomfortable!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've recently started to believe that the calf ridge issue, no matter the hammock in question, is at least somewhat if not mainly caused by folks laying too close to the foot end of the hammock, laying closer to the head end seems to help alot. laying closer to the head end will also require one to lower the head end even more than normal depending on how close to the head end you are.

try moving more toward the head end and see if that helps.
    Don't listen to this guy...what the heck does he know about it?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I agree, that if the ridgeline is always at its maximum tension, height and angle don't matter much, but if you raise the suspension angle, you can get the ridgeline loose. The purpose of a ridgeline for me is not to set the maximum tension. In fact, I have never had the ridgeline tight enough to matter. I use it as a guide. If I can easily bend the ridgeline, it is plenty tight. I don't think it should be at the max tension. It also keeps the bugnet off my face.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The received wisdom around here is that structural ridgeline "sets the sag", so that if the ridgeline is taut, the ends of the hammock cannot get any farther apart, no matter what the tension on it (at least until the breaking point of the ridgeline, obviously). Changing the height of the straps changes the tension, but in theory, the lay of the hammock is insensitive to that in the range of heights where the ridgeline is taut.

If the ridgeline cord does not stretch, this explanation makes sense to me.
    So I'm interested in the several responses whose experience is that strap height and ridgeline tension matters. In theory, practice and theory agree but in practice they don't?

In my own experience in a Blackbird, I need to scoot my body around to deal with the tension down the center of the hammock. No matter what hammock I'm in, I move around a lot at night and with each move am positioning to accomodate that ridge.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Well being a new bird owner, one thing I noticed was the center ridge is more noticeable the tighter my suspension. If I loosened or increased the sag/angle a little it would disappear, but I already had the "too deep in the foot box" tip before I first got into mine.

You definitely have to play with hammocks to get a consistent comfortable lay. That is one thing I can say about tents, no matter how or where I set it up they were always uncomfortable!
    I guess that is another advantage to a bridge. I think as long as you get the bridge set up some what close to the manufacturers suggestion for distance between the rings, or for a tight net and then back off a little, or whatever is recommended, if it's in the ball park it's going to be good to go. Whether finding the correct tension or "sweet spot" or getting a working/warm UQ fit, there seem to be a lot fewer variables.

But then again, the non-bridge have their benefits also.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    My BB and Hennesseys both work better with the ridgeline on the loose side.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    +1 on hanging the head end lower. Below is a pic of my very first overnight hang. Probably my most comfortable so far. I set up at 11PM, tired, and frustrated about finding the perfect trees. I threw the hammock up pretty quick and had the head end WAY lower than the foot end - as you can see on a bit of a hill! I slept for almost 10hrs!

I also sleep well towards the end. The footbox material basically just hangs there loose and covers my feet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123