Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where to cut weight in my setup

i have an eno dn with whoopies and an eno pro fly i know i need a new tarp gonna work on that in the next month but where else do you guys think i could cut some weight out of my pack

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    what else is in your pack? I am sure a DIY hammock made out of 1.1oz ripstop would weigh less than an eno dn????

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    home made UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    the two biggest items you have left are sleeping bag and the pack itself. you can get a 3 season bag for around a 16oz and your backpack weight can vary from less than a pond all the way up to 6 or 7 ponds. if you really want to save weight get a hold of an accurate scale that weighs in at least tenths of ounces/grams.figure out how how much everything weighs. now go through everything do you really need 2 changes of clothes for a three day trip? how often do you use that giant knife would a pan knofe work? the lightest peice of equipment is the one you don't take in the first place. is there no predicted rain then just take a disposable poncho instead of your rain jacket. nightime temps supposed to be in the 70's leave your jacket gloves and hat at home . hope this helps just be critical an thought ful about every peice of gear.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Best overall tip for going lighter - leave it at home. It's good to spread all your gear out that you planned on taking and split it into 1) have to have, 2) want to have, 3)like to have. Keep the #1, leave all the #3 and take only a few of the #2. While one can go "stupid light" and lose comfort or safety, I've found that taking just one or two luxury items (like an insulated mug for morning beverages, or some fishing gear, a small game or book etc.) is usually good.

Even on shorter trips, I find myself enjoying life SO much more when I'm not hurting from carrying too much. I know others can and do carry lots of stuff - I just find I do better with less.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

ive got an osprey kestrel 48 pack still trying to figure out what stove to go with if i had the diy skills i would just make a pop can stove but i dont so yea and i am not the kind of person to be all wiggin out wanting to take extra clothes so yea. I have a jarbridge uq and for now im using my swiss gear mummy bag as a top quilt im running low on funds and i still have to get a stove and some trekking poles other than that i have pretty much everything else i need

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsfan05 View Post
    ive got an osprey kestrel 48 pack still trying to figure out what stove to go with if i had the diy skills i would just make a pop can stove but i dont so yea and i am not the kind of person to be all wiggin out wanting to take extra clothes so yea. I have a jarbridge uq and for now im using my swiss gear mummy bag as a top quilt im running low on funds and i still have to get a stove and some trekking poles other than that i have pretty much everything else i need
    Lightest/easiest to make/cheapest stove out there is the cat food can stove. Lots of sites on it - templates on how to make it are here:
    http://supercatstove.com/

When I take mine, I personally like to use it with the GSI Kettle. It is a few ounces heavier than some titanium options, but it's base is nice and wide (which helps with the side flames) and it's super easy to pour from.

I took the following pic:
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Hammock related....it depends on your weight requirements... comfort needs...and how much your willing to sew or spend.

Lighter Material (cuben/1.1/M50/ Down)
    Less gagetry/hardware in your suspension/tie outs
    more knowledge=less weight
    Making it all work.as a system. Dual use.
    Quilts instead of other alternatives
    Pack
    Different Cordage.
    Cook kit (fuel use/ weight)
    clothes/layering system/rain gear

There are also some other forums that highlight lighter options outside of the hammock specifuc parts of backpacking: BPL, White Blaze etc.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsfan05 View Post
    Don't need DIY stove skills, just a fancy feast cat food tin or similar and a hole punch. Simple, cheap, effective and light.

Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I went from over a 55 lb. pack to under a 25 lb. pack in the past year.

I suggest going through everything in your pack and make three piles:
    - Need it
    - Want it (security blanket category)
    - Don't need it

Put the things in the "security blanket category" in a bag and bring them along with you with the intent to leave it in the car; you'll have it "just in case" you panic, but you most likely don't need these things. Try to move as many things down the list (need -> want -> don't need). Try to bring things that have multiple uses. Identify and limit your "luxury items" to one or two items. . .I like to include a GSI pepper mill; I don't need it, but like having it.

Weigh everything and make up a spreadsheet; group things together (clothes, cooking, etc.) and look at the weight of each group. Print it out and carry it with you, ponder it, make notes, look for things you bring but don't use, look for things that fulfill similar needs (washcloth, bandanna, towel, pot cozy).

Evaluate new purchases in terms of how much weight you save per dollar spent(weight saving divided by dollars gives you a cost per oz./gram). My wife caught me doing this and considered having me sent to the state hospital. If the man in white coats come for me, I'll be running out the back door with a very light backpack.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walterharold View Post
    I went from over a 55 lb. pack to under a 25 lb. pack in the past year.

I suggest going through everything in your pack and make three piles:
    - Need it
    - Want it (security blanket category)
    - Don't need it

Put the things in the "security blanket category" in a bag and bring them along with you with the intent to leave it in the car; you'll have it "just in case" you panic, but you most likely don't need these things. Try to move as many things down the list (need -> want -> don't need). Try to bring things that have multiple uses. Identify and limit your "luxury items" to one or two items. . .I like to include a GSI pepper mill; I don't need it, but like having it.

Weigh everything and make up a spreadsheet; group things together (clothes, cooking, etc.) and look at the weight of each group. Print it out and carry it with you, ponder it, make notes, look for things you bring but don't use, look for things that fulfill similar needs (washcloth, bandanna, towel, pot cozy).

Evaluate new purchases in terms of how much weight you save per dollar spent(weight saving divided by dollars gives you a cost per oz./gram). My wife caught me doing this and considered having me sent to the state hospital. If the man in white coats come for me, I'll be running out the back door with a very light backpack.
    This is good advice. If you really want to reduce weight, you need to understand what everything weighs and start questioning whether you can go lighter. There are often trade-offs, such as cost, but not always. Good example is the alcholol fancy feast stove.

Another alternative when you are starting out is to pick trips where you hike in and setup basecamp. Doughton Park near Stone Mountain is a good example... Hike in to their primitive area then set out from there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast