Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Question on selling gear (debated putting this in the FS Forum)

Hey All,

I have some gear I would like to unload and have a few questions as I've not sold gear online (only made local purchases via forums vs. shipping gear).

1. Is there anyway around the 50 post minimum? I can add my $.02 to a buch of threads but just thought I'd ask.

2. How do you transfer funds? I'm looking at getting rid of some higher ticket items (nice quilt, underquilt etc) and am wondering if it's all on the honor system or if people use something like escrow.com or other services.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
    One additional note - the reason I have not had to post a lot is because you all have such a great archive of info if I use the search function I find mostly what I need!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by japaddler View Post
    Hey All,

I have some gear I would like to unload and have a few questions as I've not sold gear online (only made local purchases via forums vs. shipping gear).

1. Is there anyway around the 50 post minimum? I can add my $.02 to a buch of threads but just thought I'd ask.

2. How do you transfer funds? I'm looking at getting rid of some higher ticket items (nice quilt, underquilt etc) and am wondering if it's all on the honor system or if people use something like escrow.com or other services.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
    One additional note - the reason I have not had to post a lot is because you all have such a great archive of info if I use the search function I find mostly what I need!
    1. No way around the 50 post minimum. It only takes a few days to make a meaningful amount of posts if you dedicate some time.

2. I use PayPal pretty exclusively for all my online transactions. Nearly everyone else knows how to use it and they have some fraud protection.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sorry but you will have to get that mto magic 50 post min, kind of lets us get to know you.

Most people here use PayPal
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I like the 50 post minimum, even though I'm not there yet. Good thing I don't have anything to sell.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies n' bling
    I have bought and sold things on several forums. All of my transactions have been completed using USPS money orders. There is some degree of trust involved, but I have found that most of the people that participate in the forums are honest people. That's part of the reason for the 50 post rule (very common practice on forums)...it gives you a chance to get a basic idea of the character of the people that you are thinking of dealing with.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I think it is (maybe not the best (interview/background check/bank account details to mods etc. Before buying/selling)) the most practicable way to go so the site maintains a reputation for having trustworthy members and the 50 post rule kinda shows that your not just around to get gear or take folks money fraudulently.

Quote Originally Posted by japaddler View Post
    I am not at 50 posts yet, I won't be buying or selling anyway due to customs charges etc. but I agree, if everyone on here wasn't so well educated in the way of the hammock I would probably be well over 100 posts by now! lol

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am petty sure there is NO minimum post count to buy, just for the selling.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

That has been my experience.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    There is no way around the 50 post limit to sell items here. It is used as an introductory period so that the people here can get to know the people who are selling items.

Paypal is the most common form of monetary transaction here (and on most forums I'm a member of) because it is fairly easy and painless and provides a bit of insurance for the buyer should the seller fail to deliver the item as advertised.

You can review the ToS for further details on selling items here.

VI. The Marketplace. Hammock Forums offers a Marketplace for members to sell their personal gear or to post about a piece of gear they’re willing to buy. The following rules apply to the Marketplace:

A. You must have a minimum of 50 posts before starting a new 'For Sale (FS)' thread. There is no minimum for posting in the 'Want To Buy (WTB)' section.

B. Items listed in the FS section should be related to outdoors gear.

C. Items must be listed with a selling price. No auction-style posts, bidding on items, or linking to auctions.

D. Do not post links to websites that offer referral bonuses or kickbacks.

E. When items have sold, or an item in a Willing To Buy thread is found, please reply to the thread and mark them sold so the moderators can close the thread.

F. No off topic discussion in FS or WTB threads. Off topic discussion will be deleted at moderators discretion.

G. Please do not play "price police" and make a public post in another member's thread about where this product can be found at a lower price. A simple Private Message to the seller may be helpful, though.

H. Firearm sales not allowed.

I. No 'PayPal Gift Only' or 'PayPal Personal Only' payment requirements are allowed in sales.

J. Vendors and resellers are not welcome to post their sales in the Marketplace. Dumping extra inventory, even if it’s a good deal for HF’s members, violates the essentially non-commercial nature of our site.

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    I think it is (maybe not the best (interview/background check/bank account details to mods etc. Before buying/selling)) the most practicable way to go so the site maintains a reputation for having trustworthy members and the 50 post rule kinda shows that your not just around to get gear or take folks money fraudulently.
    There is NO way around the post limit. The mods here don't allow special circumstances, nor do they have the extra time to perform background/credit checks on people. And I seriously doubt that they would want to.

If you're just looking to offload gear fast there are plenty of sites for that such as ebay, craigslist, & geartrade. We are here to discuss our love of hammocks. Whether they be for backpacking, car camping, hanging in the back yard, or even in the house.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    it really grinds my gears to see this. i understand people asking about the whole "why", but to try to circumvent the "trust" earned? gah.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast