Question Superfly blocking wind?

Hi, I will be section hiking from Springer to Damascus in April and I have a new WWBB 1.1 double and have just been gifted a Superfly Camo tarp (hasn't shipped yet). My question concerns the effect of the surrounding air on the bottom of the hammock......if you have a Superfly staked down low to the ground, and the doors closed, doesn't that in effect deflect any wind and negate the need for any separate wind shield on the bottom of the hammock? I know I will have to find the right pad and/or bottom quilt insulation but in the interests of weight management I don't want to have to pack any more layers than I have to. Thanks in advance for your opinions, experience on this matter......

Images
    Not everybody has a full sized tarp like the superfly, so an underquilt protector comes in handy when the weather isn't the best. Also, it'll help keep that heat in when it's cold out, blockingthe cold air a bit from robbing heat from the down. Also, heavy fog rolls in and it's hard to escape. They are nice, but no not neccesary.

Here's 2QZQ's protector

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    The superfly will block a large amount of wind. I love mine and wouldn't live without it. In my experiences, I have not needed anything else other then the tarp to block the wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    a wind shield under a hammock is definitely NOT a necessity, regardless of your tarp size, as long as you have good insulation. I've slept in some dang cold weather and left my tarp in the pack on clear but windy nights, and been totally fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, pitching the Superfly low to the ground will give you plenty enough protection from the wind. This picture was taken not far north of Springer in southern NC on the AT:

I left Springer on March 2nd and the first 3 weeks of the hike were cold, windy, and wet! The Superfly in the picture is a very old design, so yours won't pitch quite the same. The new designs still let you pitch it in a similar fashion though.

I do lots of winter camping in the Rocky Mountains where wind is just as commonplace as the sun or the moon. I don't own an underquilt protector; just never saw the need.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I guess I should add that if you opt for the RidgeRunner, or another bridge design, the Superfly may not be large enough to truly batten-down the hatches. If you are going with a bridge, you may want a larger tarp (lots more weight), or make use of a protector. If you decide it is something you really need.

I know you said you are only doing a section hike, but that section can be brutal. For instance, North Carolina is said to not believe in switchbacks on the AT. After hiking the AT in North Carolina, I believe that statement to be pretty near a fact. Weight is going to matter. You'll be better served by finding natural wind breaks, than by carrying extra 'stuff'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yes, pitching the Superfly low to the ground will give you plenty enough protection from the wind. This picture was taken not far north of Springer in southern NC on the AT:

I left Springer on March 2nd and the first 3 weeks of the hike were cold, windy, and wet! The Superfly in the picture is a very old design, so yours won't pitch quite the same. The new designs still let you pitch it in a similar fashion though.

I do lots of winter camping in the Rocky Mountains where wind is just as commonplace as the sun or the moon. I don't own an underquilt protector; just never saw the need.
    Look at the Real Estate!!

Nice pitch man. Gitta get down that way. Im working my way south lil.by lil. (yes this had nothing to.do.with the topic

Thank you, gentlemen, I will certainly enjoy my hammock and tarp, and hope I don't kill myself in the process.........

• + New Posts