Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex 11'
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Sharing a hammock with a child?

Here's a question to all you parents and guardians out there.
    Have you ever tried sleeping in a hammock with your kid? The reason I'm asking is that my 4 year old daughter is interested in doing an overnight with me in the hammock but I'm a bit worried as to how it will actually work. Lying in the hammock together isn't a problem, it's pretty comfortable in there both of us reading a book or just resting. It's the actual sleeping I'm more concerned about. Also I don't usually go to sleep at the same time as her, then again if she stays up late one night and I do a bit of reading that wouldn't hurt anyone.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences good or bad, if you've tried.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Two adults in a hammock would be difficult. During one of my overnighters, I did spend part of a night in a hammock with my 7 year old. I didn't feel cramped at all. We were both dead to the world from all of the hiking.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    If she is not too much of a wiggler it may work but I doubt it will be the most comfortable night in a hammock you will have. My youngest son (4 in August) just wiggles way too much to spend the whole night with me. He has a small hammock that I hang right above mine about 12 inches above me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    We have a 20 month old that we take along in a tent with either my wife or me and the other one of us gets a hammock to themselves. Once our son gets a bit older, we're going to get a dedicated hammock for him but for now the tent will have to suffice.

I know there are a few folks with kids in the 5 year old range that have their own dedicated hammock for them. If it were me, I'd take that route. I wouldn't get much sleep with my kid next to/on top of me. Not to mention squishing them under me if I roll over when I'm sleeping .

A few approaches you could try if you go with a separate hammock -

You can string up both hammocks on the same 2 trees and be directly next to each other (you can push your hammock suspension as far to the left on the trees as possible and your kid's hammock suspension as far to the right on the trees as possible which will give you more distance between the hammocks) OR share 1 tree on your head or foot end and have separate trees at the other - like a "V" shape OR you can come up with a spreader bar type situation where you separate your hammocks like in this thread.

This way you'd be right next to each other, be able to share a tarp, and be close enough to keep that safe feeling.

Another option could be to try the "bunk bed" approach where you string their hammock directly above yours. That way they have their own hammock but are close enough you can reach them for comfort/reassurance if needed. If you search around there are quite a few threads showing most of these approaches..

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 07-02-2014 at 09:44.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    It's nice to have my five year old in the hammock with for some storytime and reading. Sleeping doesn't work so well, I get very uncomfortable after about half an hour or so. And that is in the big Brazilian one.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    All the time. I've had the 5 year old sleeping with me since she was 2. My 20 month old naps and sleeps with me all the time. Oh, he starts off in his bed but he ends up in my hammock with me. Sometimes I have both.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    I'm unsure about sleeping all night with your daughter. I have a 4 year old girl as well and she lays with/on top of me for reading and naps etc, but we are both Ready to get up after an hour or so. In a gathered end you both go to the middle and are just kind of smashed there. If she isn't on top of me I'm always holding myself up to try to keep from mashing her.
    I got her a hammock cause she loves to go hiking and has begged to go overnight. We've been a few times but slept on the ground. I just can't stand the thought of going back now. I've been I'm a hammock for over a year with exception of once or twice that I took her last year. We tried overnight once in the "Y" configuration with head ends on the same tree but she wouldn't sleep there. We ended up back home before midnight. :/
    I'm not completely sold on the "bunk bed" idea more for fear than it not working. I'm just hesitant to hang her that high and I don't want to be on top for fear of falling on her for some reason. Plus I'd have to get in and out.
    My next plan is to get a tarp with doors. Perhaps a CF winter palace so I can hang two hammocks under one tarp. I beleive she will feel safe enough to sleep that way. Although she said she would only sleep out side if her sleeping bag was touching mine. Lol
    I think shed feel more secure. It would have the feel that we were alone inside and away from everything outside.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, just my thoughts and experience. Good luck!

Hammock
    SMR Solo/Dream Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've had my 4yo share my hammock with me overnight. Worked fine for us.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Both my sons are wigglers so it doesn't work so well for all nighters. Short naps are fine though. Depends on your child.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex 11'
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Thanks for all the answers, ideas and experiences.
    My conclusion is to give it a try but find some way of rigging my setup in the garden or on the balcony to make a trip home less of a hassle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast