HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Lawson Hammock

Has anyone ever owned or used a Lawson Blue Ridge Camping hammock? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    "Hang In There"
    Leave It Better Then You Found It!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There are a few of us.

Personally, I don't care for the hammock. There are a couple of others here that do like them. Either way, they aren't terribly popular based on the low percentage of HF members that use them. That is probably somewhat skewed by the idea that I believe a majority of HF members still come from a hiking/backpacking background where weight matters. The Lawson rig is far away from lightweight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Reviewed Hammock

Hey,

I wrote a review on this hammock and also made a video review. You can read my review at

http://backpackhiker.wordpress.com/2...ridge-hammock/

or you can watch my review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef9ip...layer_embedded

Hammock
    HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I picked up a used one for a really good price. I liked the idea of a bridge hammock. I have a HED but can't seem to get a good nights sleep in it. Thought I'd give the BRCH a try. Thanks for your input. I'll post after I give the BRCH a try.
    "Hang In There"

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have one, I was in it yesterday. The set up is a little different. I string it tighter and I tie out a corner. When set properly (for me) its more like a cot than a hammock. Very wide and easy to move around in. It's also the flattest lay of my now 5 hammocks.
    It feels tippy compared to the others, but when tied outs its rick solid. There is plenty of room under the net, in when not needed I flip it upside down
    The cover that comes with it, traps a lot of heat. Probably great in winter, but to warm for summer. I prefer my regular tarp, (10 x10 diy). I also changed out the cords to make it smaller and lighter, which worked, but its still my biggest and heaviest hammock.
    This summer ill be doing a long river trip and Imay take the Lawson. Undecided.

Hammock
    HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks ibegary,
    I have heard that staking out the corners will make it more stable. What type of cord did you use for the tie outs? Will 550 paracord do or do I need something stronger? I'm tring to figure a way to attach a pad in the hammock. I have a jacks r better pad that would fit nicely. I was thinking of attaching velcro on the hammock and the pad so it won't move when I'm in it. I may even try to make a slide in pouch from underneth to hold the pad. This way I could add a space blanket in colder weather. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks Again.
    "Hang In There"

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    ibgary pretty much covered it, but I will add some here. It is really heavy, but when properly set up, it is pretty darn comfortable.

I bought one for 12.99, so it was a no brainer for that price. Only bigger underquilts work well because of the wide and flat design. My dad took it to the Pinhoti and could never get warm enough. It seems that a deflated pad or cc pad would work well in it too. A sleeve would definitely make it easier with the pad, but it already weighs so much...

The stock rainfly is not sufficient in hard rain. The suspension gets wet and soaks through. It needs a bit of seam sealing on the attachments before you get it in any rain.

If you try to lay somewhat diagonally, the rainfly will come un-velcroed (is that a word...no)

I did not like it at all until I learned that it needs to be hung very tight and high, to allow for the stretchy suspension. You can also adjust each individual knot at the bridges to tweak the comfort level. It will let you lay just a bit flatter, and this is best done with 2 people. One in the hammock and 1 adjusting.

It is great for car/kayak camping when weight is not an issue. It is well made too. It is super roomy and really feels like you are in a tent without all the rocks poking you in the back.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Timber Rider, I think usiing the Velcro is a good idea. For staking it out paracord will be more than adequate. I use about 3 mm nylon.
    As hammocks go the blue ridge is heavy-duty. Its also very changeable. Also as halfastronomical said, is take a full size tarp.

Hammock
    HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. I use my HED most of the time but as you know once you start hanging you just can't have too many hammocks. I plan to use the BRBH for deep woods camping off my atv so weight isen't a problem. I have a buddy that owns a upholstery shop so he's going to see if he can sew a sleeve underneth so I can slide in a pad. I have a JRB pad that will fit nice. I will also be able then to add a space blanket. One I get done with all the mods I'll post some pics. Thanks again for your help. This is why this site is so great. Everyone is always willing to lend a hand!
    "Hang In There"

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Hey ibgary... do you have a photo of the spectra replacement on your BRCH? What size is the spectra? I have thought about doing this many times before...any idea on the weight savings? If it is on the forums, I could not find it yet. Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast