Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    My mechanics is 35 years rusty so any quanty answer I'd be making up. What seems to happen is that the two ends tend to want to rotate a little differently on a small perturbation, so the overall effect is to rotate less.

I are a computer engineer, not a mechanical one!
    Hahaha Still any understanding of math helps A LOT!

Here is my thought for my version of your spreader bar piece. This one has a neck that spreads pushes the TQ out on to the entirety of the tip of my spreader bar allowing it to help keep the webbing straighter. The hole in the center is a little over 0.250", the slots are designed to allow 1/2" webbing to be used. each one weights 6.07 grams ~0.21 oz each

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    While I applaud all the math here, I wanted to get you to think about this statement just a bit more.

On the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, there is an intentional bit of loose fabric at the head end. It creates a small pocket which is perfect to hold keys or a wallet and cell phone. In my opinion, a bit of floppy fabric is an EXCELLENT thing to have.
    I hear what you saying but the flappy fabric drives me nuts at night. I was going to build a series of small pockets along the non-opening edge of the suspension curve.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Truth---the last endcap I made I knew what arc-length I wanted and what height I wanted, so I marked off half the arc-length on a string, marked some fabric where the corner and the deepest part of the arc would be, and laid out the string with its endpoints aligned at those marks. Pushed the string around to make it kinda parabolic-like, traced the line, and had me half a "parabola". Folded it over for the cut to get symmetry.
    WHAT? Really? You didn't trust YOUR math? Sigh. I'm a little disappointed that the great Grizz didn't do the math, and then have some lackey test it with a string... I thought you were a mathmatical purist!

Good to know even the megaquants in the world revert to TLAR engineering from time to time.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    Hahaha Still any understanding of math helps A LOT!

Here is my thought for my version of your spreader bar piece. This one has a neck that spreads pushes the TQ out on to the entirety of the tip of my spreader bar allowing it to help keep the webbing straighter. The hole in the center is a little over 0.250", the slots are designed to allow 1/2" webbing to be used. each one weights 6.07 grams ~0.21 oz each

I hear what you saying but the flappy fabric drives me nuts at night. I was going to build a series of small pockets along the non-opening edge of the suspension curve.
    I like the design of the piece, but how is this significantly better than a piece with an elliptical hole (to allow for the piece to be not-quite 90 degrees to the tip of your pole...) ?

Oh: Why use webbing for the suspension triangle? Amsteel is lighter.. just need a hole on one end.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    ...and then have some lackey test it with a string...
    Hey!...I resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I like the design of the piece, but how is this significantly better than a piece with an elliptical hole (to allow for the piece to be not-quite 90 degrees to the tip of your pole...) ?

Oh: Why use webbing for the suspension triangle? Amsteel is lighter.. just need a hole on one end.

John
    From what I've seen (I understand its limited) the grommet always seams to sit flat on the end of the pole. Being that the weight is centered in the middle of the spreader bar width. the load is bing draw over the end of the pole and not just down on one side. My thought with the extrusion is to keep it from trying to pull the piece off to its side... not sure how to explain what Im thinking here.... Think of the pole being pushed out the bottom of the triangle towards the ground.

I know what your saying. Here are two example of the piece on the end of the bars I currently have. the first one I removed the extrusion, the second I put it back. It just feels like the extrusion adds some rigidity to the whole thing.

As for the Amsteel I think I will be using it on this one. I just need to plan it all out first. Any idea how much Amsteal stretches under a load?

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I t does not stretch and if it does very little. That is why it makes me so happy unlike crap pro-straps you are not on the ground in the morning.If it is stretching enough that you notice it you should be a little worried.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    I t does not stretch and if it does very little. That is why it makes me so happy unlike crap pro-straps you are not on the ground in the morning.If it is stretching enough that you notice it you should be a little worried.
    Yeah I was just looking at some from reddenmarine.com. What size do you recommend for the triangle? It looks like 2.5 mm is more than enough I'm thinking I will still stay with Webbing for the suspension arch.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    ...It just feels like the extrusion adds some rigidity to the whole thing..................Any idea how much Amsteal stretches under a load?
    The rigidity will transfer any torque into the spreader poles where you don't want it.

For all intents and purposes in our uses Amsteel Blue has no stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The rigidity will transfer any torque into the spreader poles where you don't want it.

For all intents and purposes in our uses Amsteel Blue has no stretch.
    Very valid point!

How about these versions

I having some confusion on what is the best way to sew the different layers of the fabric together.

Here is what I came up with but im not sure

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast