Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Why does the SS undercover seem stitched wrong?

Why does the SS undercover seem stitched wrong at the opening for bottom entry? it seems as though something is twisted, I think it is stitched like that to allow the pieces to snap shut and over lap.

when I first set it up I thought it was all twisted up before packing, I tried pushing the opposite end through the opening, thinking it was kinda inside out, if that makes sense.

I gotta say owning the side zip model, I don't really like the fact that all the under covers have the classic opening, I wish they made a model for the side zips.

If it was solid at both ends for the zip models it would let in less cold air, (I mostly hike the other 3 seasons fall winter and spring)

Any one else out there not so crazy about this?
    Has anyone stitched it shut?
    I was thinking of having 2QZQ stitch it up for me.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I am having the same thoughts. I bought a BE during the annual sale without a net. I also have two HH with the zippers. I just purchased a SS Undercover, when I put it on the BE it did not seem to seal well, I do not trust it to keep me dry.

I am concerned that the UC will not keep the rain out. I hang on the coast a lot, the rain come from every direction. Not too sure how the Undercover is going to work out. I guess I will know by tonight, since we are off on another adventure. I have both types of hammocks, BE and SE, so I do not want to have anything sewn shut.

I am thinking about making a clone, selling the SS and just using the clone that I might construct. However, I will be getting into too much gear, too many choices.

Images
    Of course, there is always the possibility that it is cinched ( EDIT: I meant STITCHED ) wrong. But I have 3, from 1 to 2 years old with the new design that attaches over the ends of a hanging hammock, to the 6 year old original design. Which was even more of a PITA for a noob to the HHSS to figure out how to get it on correctly by threading the HH ropes through the holes, one of which was quite small on one end. And at least one end ( foot end maybe? ) seems stitched wrong on every one of them. I think this aspect seems even worse on the newer design, because when you are putting the end together over the hammock end. It always seems inside out or not right to me. But just make sure all is installed according to directions in the HH videos or posted in other threads here.

But I don't think it is ( i.e. stitched wrong ). I think it is just some sort of complex design and stitching that serves the custom fit of the UC/pad/hammock. The fact that none of that has changed one iota over 6 years, even with the redesign of that very area, makes me think this. The pad is not just suspended by those elastic cord "bridles" on the ends of the pads. In fact, IMO, those cords are too thin to do a good job of that. The UC is a part of the pad suspension. It helps ( a lot ) to hold the pad up under you full length, just snug enough to be in contact with your back and leg area but without any compression of the open cell foam pad. Of course it is probably even a more complex design to allow for the bottom entry ( which most don't need anymore anyway) to be right in the middle of the elastics!

I think your fears about the bottom entry causing problems are miss placed, but you never know. As for rain, keep in mind that many folks, amazingly, report staying dry in the hammock and stock tarp in torrential down pours, with NO UC. The UC adds an extra layer of protection. You probably could blow past its overlapping closure with a hose. But in normal use, with at least one big tree blocking rain from coming straight in the foot end, and the UC catching any sideways managing to come in the small area not covered by a tarp on the foot end side, highly unlikely. But anything is possible of course. Mine stayed dry once hung in the backyard from the only 2 trees out there, totally exposed otherwise, during tornado warnings. I was afraid the hammock and tarp were going to be destroyed by the winds, with huge rain fall. I went out the next morning and found about a tablespoon of water in the lowest point of the UC, everything else was dry.

As for wind, on the last night of my first week using it, I could only find 2 trees where my tenting buds wanted to camp as the sun was setting. I slept with the foot end facing the lake a few feet away, in the high 30s or 40s,where the wind howled directly in that foot end all night. I never noticed any wind effect on my warmth, inside my bag. I was the only warm person in camp that night. I think with most unprotected UQs I would have froze. And if I had a problem, I could always have turned the hammock around so that the head end faced the wind. In better circumstances, I could have picked 2 trees with better angle to the wind or a more sheltered spot.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-11-2012 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    {..}
    I am thinking about making a clone, selling the SS and just using the clone that I might construct. {...}
    I've already made a clone, though I made mine with the classic entry because, well... my hammock is a classic entry.
    It wasn't too difficult, and having already done it once, I could do it again with ease - not to mention I have a pattern to build from now, so I can just simply get the material and layout the pattern, cut and sew.

If you're interested I'd be willing to work out the details of enclosing the opening to make one for you that's one solid bottom. - Just let me know
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    {...}I think it is stitched like that to allow the pieces to snap shut and over lap.
    Exactly!

I gotta say owning the side zip model, I don't really like the fact that all the under covers have the classic opening, I wish they made a model for the side zips.
    See my post above - I can make one for you

If it was solid at both ends for the zip models it would let in less cold air, (I mostly hike the other 3 seasons fall winter and spring)
    The Hennessy SS design works well enough as it is - I found that the opening wasn't as much of an issue (being open) as most folks think. I found that as BillyBob said, the SS-UC was more of a support system for the UQ foam pad, than it was for creating an air void for insulation. In my process of building my first clone I found that the SS became load bearing during use.
    I had someone evaluate the fit of the SS-UC while I was in it, and we determined that we (similar body size/weight) were actually causing the seams to be tensioned during normal use.

This isn't inline with a design that should be creating a void of air that is supposed to act as a layer of insulation (1" of air is equivalent to an insulation value of R5). I changed the design of mine to include that inch of air void, so as to act as expected as insulation.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

HH SS Undercover Stitching

@bmrider: I had the same thoughts when I received my Hennessy Super Shelter. I thought it was stitched incorrectly and so I emailed the good folks at Hennessy Hammock. They shot a video recently and sent me a link for it. It cleared up my concerns about the seam being sewed wrong by the opening at the foot of the undercover. Tom asked me if I could post the video to this forum in hopes that it would clear up the confusion.
    Happy Hangin'

Images
    Helpful video, good find Apeman! He did not caution against making sure the asym tie outs are lined up correctly with the hammocks tie outs, but I guess that is taken care of by making sure the "binding is on the inside". IOW, that step will make sure it is not inide out/upside down". Also helpful is how he shows how it is easier to 1st hook up on the head end while making sure that the "binding" is on the inside as you walk it towards the foot end. He did not point out- but did y'all notice - that he had hold of the black outside edge, keeping it at the top side as he walked it down to the foot.

So that seems a good tip to me- gained from watching what he did- to just connect the uncomplicated head end, binding inside- and just grab the black perimeter edge and pull on that as you head footward, keeping that up high, black edge nearer to the ridge line. When you are laying in the hammock, you should be looking at that black edging a few inches higher than the net/hammock intersection.

I recently changed my mind bout which end is the head end on my zip moodel. I decided I wanted the zipper at my left shoulder, as this makes it much easier to get the net away from my face when not using it. So I had to switch the UC and pad around. But, it was all pretty quick and easy, because I had set it up not all that long ago after I having nothing on all summer. It is always a little trickier when you have not put one on for a while.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-19-2012 at 22:53.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Billy Bob. I really like the Super Shelter. I've only had it in low temps in the 20's but it worked fine. The overcover is nice but you do get condensation if it is not cold enough. I just took the undercover off the other day since it finally warmed up in my neck of the woods.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeman1470 View Post
    Thanks Billy Bob. I really like the Super Shelter. I've only had it in low temps in the 20's but it worked fine. The overcover is nice but you do get condensation if it is not cold enough. I just took the undercover off the other day since it finally warmed up in my neck of the woods.
    Your welcome, Apeman. But, thank you for giving yet another impressive report on what I have always felt was for the most part an under loved system. You say "I've only had it in low temps in the 20's but it worked fine." ONLY in the 20s? How many full length down UQs at the same weight or price could really have kept you warmer? And none of them would have had the built in wind and moisture protection. So , I think your results are excellent.

Sure, it has not worked as good for every one who has tried it, but it has for a bunch. And I think for those that it works good for, it is hard to beat for the weight and price. But down will pack down smaller, but it still packs down smaller than full length Climashield quilts(though they are plenty warm and water resistant), especially if you include an UQ protector. Then again, if you include an UQP with a 20-25F down UQ, that system will somewhat more closely approach an HHSS in bulk.

But if you are warm in the 20s, plus the wind and moisture protection the UC provides, at under 20 oz and under $150, that ain't bad by any standards. Not too shabby!

Images
    BTW, if I did not emphasize this strongly enough in prev post:
    1: This is the best set up video that Apeman found, and really makes installation quick and foolproof. HHSS owners or potential owners should bookmark or tag this video.
    2: Seems to me like the key is to start at the head end with the center black binding on the inside, that makes it all so much more simple. If you start that way, it is hard to go wrong!
    3: After you have wrapped the UC around the hammock end and put the bungee cord through it's gros grain loop and connected the hammock suspension hook and put the toggle through it's loop, while keeping the center UC black binding INSIDE, you are golden!
    4: Now grab the full length right and left edge(not center) black binding and walk the whole thing towards the foot, keeping that rt/lt black binding pulled up high, always at the top, and wrap the foot end around the hammock just like you did the head end. If you have done that, and kept the center binding inside ( easy to do once you know to do it), then everything else- like the side pull outs- will be lined up correctly.

This is really easy. Just start at the head and keep the CENTER black binding on the inside so that it will touch the hammock fabric. Done!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-24-2013 at 15:13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast