Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Advice?

I decided that before I got too heavily invested in hammock camping that I'd better actually spend a night in my hammock. I'm glad I did because it wasn't quite what I had expected. I didn't make the whole night...I had to retreat back to my bed. My back actually started hurting, a dull ache right in the lumbar region of my back. I did get some CBS, but I stuffed a towel under and that took care of it. I also felt like I kept sliding down to the middle of the hammock, I elevated the feet by about 6 inches, but then it felt weird to have my feet that much higher. I had my SRL adjusted to the 83% and it seemed like I had a great diagonal lay. If anyone has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. It's an 11' channeled end 1.1 ripstop home made. I am 6'00 and weigh 165. Advice is welcome! Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    It sounds like you're on the right track. Not being cold is huge, but you could also try to tweak you SRL, 83% is just a starting point. Is your SRL taught when you're in it? You may need to adjust your suspension to the trees. I actually like my feet a little high. Don't try to make your feet higher by shortening the suspension on that side, actually raise it up the tree higher. For me I get the back pain thing in my BED not in my hammock. Give it a few more tries, see if you can get it dialed in.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Don't give up yet. Play with it, but its hurting your back something needs to change.
    For me the hammock is like a second lease on my camping life. After my back went out sleeping on the ground was bad, but worse was waking up and trying to move.
    The hammock, (for me) gave me a better nights sleep, and better yet waking up without back pain and stiffness.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I keep a lot of sag in my 11' BIAS and use an adjustable ridge line. It gets uncomfortable if it's hung too tight. I actually started out with no ridge line and it was fine. No aches/pains/stiffness with the hammock. I also tend to get very diagonal and the Knotty mod is a good option because of that. YMMV
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds to me like you were not laying diagonally, and/or had your hammock strung too tight...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    Ditto, on the back pain inbred not hammock, 83% is not for everyone, you have to tweak it to find YOUR sweet spot, start small, take some naps, I now sleep thru the whole night, something I can never do in the bed...I toss and turn constantly in a bed.

Here's the good news, you can tweak it and get it dialed in, a tent is a tent is a tent, hard ground, rocks, roots etc... I have a $180 sleeping pad and could never get comfortable on it.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    What is the knotty mod?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Knotty Mod - a modification that was invented by a Hammock Forum member that results in a piece of bungee cord being installed on the head and foot area to gather fabric and create a "pocket" that helps keep items contained in the hammock (pillow and topquilt in particular) and that eliminates loose, flapping fabric in the head and foot area. When selecting this mod along with a double layer mod, it is important to note if you prefer to lie head left, feet right across the hammock's diagonal line or if you prefer head right, feet left. Double layer hammocks cannot be flipped over to reverse the placement.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Why can't it be flipped? I have a double layer with the knotty mod, but mine has it on both sides, so 4 shock cords. I tend to switch sides sometimes, one time I'll have my head to the left, the next, maybe head to the right. So I have no reason to flip it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Why can't it be flipped? I have a double layer with the knotty mod, but mine has it on both sides, so 4 shock cords. I tend to switch sides sometimes, one time I'll have my head to the left, the next, maybe head to the right. So I have no reason to flip it.
    Dunno. Except maybe because the bottom on the double is split to allow access. May also have something to do with how it's attached at the edges. Info was from Buttinasling who makes hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast