Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ugh I hate it when I can't sleep. warbonnetguy... the dierections you were given are excellent for resoling shoes. The devil, as you say, is in the details. When resoling shoes the really porous materials of the shoes have already been sealed with the previous coats of adhesive. In the case of the foam pads the surfaces are both raw and unsealed. The foam is likely porous and pebbly for lack of a better word. The nylon is porous and can tend to ravel. My experience in this kind of a situation, making scenery and other off label uses for the Barge would suggest that the surfaces be sealed with a thin coat of Barge which is allowed to dry completely. Then another thin coat can be applied to the prepared surface to do the actual bonding. The heat applied to the shoe barely softens the adhesive allowing it to tack together securely. In the case of foam or other heat sensitive materials allowing the second coat to be barely tacky accomplishes the same goal. Barge is very liquid as it comes from the tube or can. In the process of spreading it around you can easily create drips along the corners of the pad. Those drips are bad news if they should bond together. The mallet and plywood is simply an easier way of applying solid pressure to the bond when wide or large surfaces are being bonded. Not everyone has the clamps to pressurize the bond and books can be dubious. Wailing the snot out of the bond with a mallet exerts more force and the plywood distributes the force over a wider area.

Lest anyone be confused over seeming differences between my suggestion and what warbonnetguy posted should recongnize at this point the instructions are very similar once the surface prep is accomplished. Barge is very potent stuff. Thin coats are all that is required, but the raw surfaces are better if sealed first.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Besides Barge cement Weldwood contact cement works great... The porosity of the pad and any cloth or leather "hinge" material, or omni tape if you go that route, normally requires two thin coats.... The directions are on the can....

PM me if you need any detailed assistance.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Pan... is Weldwood as pliable as Barge? My memory is that it is more likely to crack when dry. But I don't usually use it. Barge is my go to.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Ramblinrev,

Weldwood works fine.... have used it in pad applications for years, no problems ever arose....Barge may be better but it would be like going from a 96 to a 98 grade on a school paper IMHO.

Point of my last post though, as others also stated, porosity of materials to be joined may take two coats....following manufactures suggestions generally pays off.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am obviously thinking of another product then.... Weldwood has a wide range of products. Thanks.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    i was just throwing more info out there, different materials may take different techniques, just saying how i was instructed to resole shoes, and was warned that the worst thing you can do is to use too much cement, 2 coats just sounded like it might be too much glue.

FWIW, ccf(closed cell foam) isn't porous at all (at least the pores aren't open anyways) that's why it doesn't breathe at all, or absorb your back sweat, pan. pour some water on ccf, it won't absorb one bit, and neither should barge cement. if we were talking about ocf (open cell foam), then it would absorb into the foam and i could see the porisity being an issue and it needing to be sealed with a primer coat to keep the glue on the surface but i don't think ccf will need that given it's non-absorbing nature.

rev, i wasn't trying to say you were wrong at all, just that i was instructed differently, and just wanted to throw more info out there.

i still think the best solution is double-sided sailmaking tape, that stuff is awesome, and there's no mess, no dry times...
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-02-2008 at 11:45.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    porous may be the wrong word. My experience is it needs to be sealed. YMMV.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    well, i know i've used barge on ocf with just the one coat and it definately had problems with is absorbing in and no longer being on the surface to stick. i don't see how it could possibly absorb into ccf, and don't think it would, maybe it needs a second coat for some other reason than absorbtion. now you've got me curious, i think i have tiny bit of barge laying around, i may just have to try it and see what happens. seems like ccf has a "skin" on it, so can't figure why it would act any different than any other regular surface.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    well, i know i've used barge on ocf with just the one coat and it definately had problems with is absorbing in and no longer being on the surface to stick. i don't see how it could possibly absorb into ccf, and don't think it would, maybe it needs a second coat for some other reason than absorbtion. now you've got me curious, i think i have tiny bit of barge laying around, i may just have to try it and see what happens. seems like ccf has a "skin" on it, so can't figure why it would act any different than any other regular surface.
    hehehe I agree with you wholeheartedly. It don't make sense. But.....

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi Neo
    I'd love to but shipping would kill me.
    i called ed speer today,he said postage for an SPE is only $12.00 in us dollars,the SPE rocks,i love mineneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast