I've been reading a lot about people building cold weather hammocks but I've been kind of disappointed by the temperature ratings. the lowest I've seen is 35ºF I want to build a setup that would be good to 0ºF or less. My goal is to take my machine out for a multi day trip. Rather than dig a snow cave. To this however I need to come up with a snow proof design and find ways to really pack on the insulation. Weight will be much less of an issue on this as the machine will carry the weight and not my back!

Note this will be a bridge hammock and not a gathered end one

Todo this I have a few ideas I'm hopping you all can build on.

• Need basic insulation value - 900fp down underquilt that covers the bottom, side and end caps.
  • Sleeping bag. - My thought here is to built a half bag that contains an insulated sleeping matt (Downmat 9) on the bottom side.
  • Reflective layler - My thought was to sew a mylar sheet on the inside of the underquilt to reflect my own body heat back on to me.
  • Stop Air movement around the hammock - A tarp that extends to the ground on all sides.
  • no bug net just a solid cover on top - not sure if it should be breathable or not. I was thinking I would find a different way to move air in and out of the hammock in a more controlled fashion.

I'm hopping this combined with Cold weather gear: Shocks. Long underwear, gloves, hat..... would be enough to stay good and warm in 0 to -20ºF

Heres what I ride. (this isn't mine, I just dont have a photo of mine)